Tab For James Bond " Goldfinger?" - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Tab For James Bond " Goldfinger?"

Just got the Blue Stingray's " Surf and Burn " and want to learn to play " Goldfinger." All the tabs I have seen thus far have chords, but not the individual notes for the intro / main riff. Can anyone help?
Attached Images

Old June 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's not going to be an easy one to tab out that, being an orchestrated piece, the tabs would be a fake version for guitar I suppose.

I'd be more than happy to see some of them myself, would be a nifty tune to add to the list.
LennyEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

no tab....but Jimmy Page plays on it....
Maxwell Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I haven't heard it for a bit, but I have the CD here...Bond themes are always a hit with the surf guitar crowd...

Never seen a TAB of the Blue Stingrays, probably not likely to...

For those not in the know, the Blue Stingrays are a mythical surf band with authentic CD packaging and listing other albums, but in fact, they made this one and consisted of Tom Petty's band "the heartbreakers" and particlularly Mike Campbell as a side project and for their love of the genre...you really hear the surf sound in his playing. You can tell by the 'aged sleeve fold' that the record was a 'spoof'..."the engineers even had to wear blindfolds to protect the identity of the band"...but it's a decent enough record.

Could be a good one to practice a bit of transcribing on, or making up your own versions...

You may well find a few bond TABs from other surf bands that might give you a clue...I'll have a re-listen later perhaps, but couldn't promise I'll have a lot of time to transcribe it....have a bit of a go yourself first, see what you come up with!
warmingtone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyEdwards View Post
It's not going to be an easy one to tab out that, being an orchestrated piece, the tabs would be a fake version for guitar I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmingtone View Post
I haven't heard it for a bit...

And Side 2

Old June 16th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Nooo.....I know the original well...I have a thing for 007 themes....

We are talking about the SURF versions of these themes...in particular this one...

http://default.vox.com/library/audio...136e20003.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_music

Bond music is excellent for thinking about composing aspects, particularly the use of motifs and the reoccurring themes that "make' things ...

The Modern sensational surf band, "slacktone" do a fantastic version as I recall, a three piece surf band and may make an interesting one to here and learn...very cool band, fantastic players...

Old June 19th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I saw this recently, thought it might help with a completely different approach. Jake Reichbart is a great Jazz finger-stylist and arranger and comes up with some great ideas on arranging well known songs in this tradition...possibly not the best example of his stuff though...

Still, it's good and you can get an idea of the chords and perhaps the melody is a bit cleaner too...most of his stuff is also available as a DVD lesson for those interested, thought I'd give him a plug as he's been quite instructive and generous in the amount of material he's offered up on YT alone!

hope that vid link worked...if not...perhaps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrd62...eature=related

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you can find it, a band from out here called "The Dragsters" did it on a record called "Stoked" from 1989. Great album, great band, great version of Gold Finger. I can't seem to find a clip of them anywhere. What comes up on youtube isn't the band I'm thinking of. This is all I can find ...
http://www.vinylrecords.ch/D/DR/Drag...rs-stoked.html
klasaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My favorite version of Goldfinger is by Billy Strange. Starts at 2:20 on this video clip.

voodoo_idol is offline   Reply With Quote