Fingerpicking books - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Fingerpicking books

Trying to futher my fingerpicking lack of skills.
Wondering if anyone had any advice to offer as I was checking a couple out on amazon.
1) Art of Solo Fingerpicking: How to Play Alternating Bass Fingerstyle Guitar Solos (book & cd) by Mark Hanson

Has 44 reviews and didn't read a bad one in the bunch

2) Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar (book & cd) by Arnie Berle

Lots of reviews, mostly positive some not so much on the CD

If anybody can offer advise on these I'd appreciate or any others that would be better.
I was thinking of ordering, the first for sure, the second so I could get super saver shipping so both are not much more than the $25 minimum.

Thanks

Wally

birddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It might be a better idea to pair up two Mark Hanson books, he wrote "The art of Contemporary Travis Picking" with the idea of each song being sung while playing the accompaniment as transcribed. He gets into many variations of picking techniques with names to remember them by. There are some classic songs to sing so the arrangements are good repertoire list songs for fingerstyle guitarists. As a teacher using this book I have found students learned to play these songs more long term if I insisted they sing with them as well, it stopped the fear of singing and playing at the same time and gave them something they could share with friends and family which increased the chance it would stay memorized. The "Solo Fingerpicking" book starts where the Travis pickingbook leaves off. I would personally highly recommend that you get both Mark Hanson books because they are really his part one and part two.

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the heads up on the Travis Picking book.
One of the reviews I read said something about the singing while playing routine.
Thats helpful as I soon lose my train of thought when trying to pick while playing. I can hum but want more out of it.
I've got some patterns down but need more independace between my fingers and brain.
Sounds like Mark Hanson is just what I need.

Wally
birddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 5th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You know...there are probably quite a few different 'definitions of what "fingerpicking" is...from not using a pick, to certain kinds of alternated bass things, to classical to...well, there's a lot of different approaches...

I've had a particular interest in 'finger picking' but not so much the alternating bass stuff...so not sure if these things are going to be good for that...but will keep watching for more tips...

I looked up Mark Hanson...free tabs are available from his web site, so might be worth a loook, some jazz and blues stuff from others as well I think...
http://www.accentonmusic.com/tab.html
warmingtone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The Stefan Grossman books, cd and video lessons are good.

http://guitarvideos.com/

http://guitarvideos.com/audio/000cdlessons.htm

http://guitarvideos.com/books/00books.htm
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yeah, Stefan Grossman's Complete Country Blues Book is an encyclopedia of sorts. It was about a year of solid work when I was a beginner. Worth it, though!
missinglinkwray is offline   Reply With Quote