John Fogerty: I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

John Fogerty: I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Dear Telephiles:

I need to learn the lead to I Heard It Through the Grapevine as played by the great John Fogerty. Fogerty is often called a "good rhythm" player but he's a wolf in sheep's clothing who can and does kick out great leads when he wants to.

I've noodled around with the D pentatonic scale but its not cutting it.

Can anybody give me advice as to how to play some of the leads he uses on that song or where I can find the info?

As always, thanks for your kind help.

timacn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

WOW Great Tune!!!

I have this on a CD compilation called 'Chronicle' and it is 11:06 long. Written by Norman J. Whitfield and Barret Strong.

I also have a CCR songbook by Hal Leonard with the notation and tab.

Three guitar tracks in the song. Guitars 1 & 3 are tuned down 1 step (D-G-C-F-A-d). Guitar 2 is tuned to standard pitch (E-A-D-G-B-e). Key signature is 1 sharp (G major) - note this is respective to the detuned guitars.

The lead solo is played on guitar 3 so the 12th fret position 'looks' like E minor pentatonic but 'sounds' like D minor pentatonic.

At standard pitch, D minor pentatonic should be fine. It just sounds a bit off against the recording when you're figuring out the lead licks. You'll be hanging at the 10th fret for pretty much all of it. It's really good 'nuts and bolts' stuff.

Also: 'Fortunate Son' is detuned 1 step too.

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

http://www.facebook.com/robert.wrenn

Last edited by rkwrenn; May 10th, 2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added note
rkwrenn is offline   Reply With Quote