New G&L Tribute-Legacy on the way! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

New G&L Tribute-Legacy on the way!

Hey guys, I just got word that I'll be getting a new G&L Legacy-Tribute! I can't wait to get it, any other love for these guitars?

Old June 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have been curious about them. Let us know how it is. And of course pictures are a must.

Bill

Old June 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Telefied

Korean or Indonesian

By all means let us know if it is 2006 Korean or 2007 Indonesian, and if it is the new stuff, how you'd compare it to the earlier Tribbys, especially the neck and the body thickness.

Bubbanov
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old June 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

will do guys, it should be coming in the next few days

Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

Guitar Cabin

Chris is closing his shop in Anderson, extreme northwest So. Car. He had a bunch of these, 2005 and 2006 Korean ones, I think he just needs his costs back; ASAT Tributes as well, and some US Legacies too if you are not too late. The 3 US G+Ls I got there are fabulous, mahvelous. 6% SC sales tax if bought in store.
Check www.guitarsbyleo.com for details.

Bubbanov

Old June 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

All right, it's finally here! I snapped a few pics, but am hoping to get some clips soon:

It plays great, and I'm looking forward to really "breaking it in"

Old June 30th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

great guitar!, I like g&l a lot
My S500 is awesome , so I hope yours is just the same
dokter B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wow, looks nice, of course Im 2000 miles away so hard to see it really good

Seriously though, looks clean...any "out of the box" first impressions?

Old June 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

right out of the box? I love it. My tele is agave blue, so I've never had a guitar with so much shine to it and mirror-esque finish to it. The finish is fantastic, no bumps or chips or drips or yips anywhere, pretty great overall. As far as everything else, it has a really good setup on it, all the strings are intonated well except for the low-e, but its an easy fix. Great action and the neck feels very silky. It is an unfinished neck, but I like it that way, not the thickest neck, but comparable to my MIM Tele neck, if not a little thicker.

One thing I noticed is that it's pretty heavy for a "strat". This really doesn't bother me at all, I was just surprised when I pulled it out. I was a little nervous about the tortoise guard/black finish, but seeing it in person sold me on it. It really contrasts well and with the black covers and knobs, it all fits together well.

Tone, ahhhhh tone. Well, even though it is a Tribute series, it has the real deal USA G&L pickups and they sound pretty good. I've only played it through my VOX 15 watter Valvetronix, but can't wait to get it cooking through some nice tubes, either through my Fender Hot Rod, or my friends AC30. I was surprised most about how quiet the pickups are in 1-3-5. 2-4 are of course quiet as a mouse, but having the other pickups quieter allows 5 pickups options......instead of 2. One other interseting thing that I forgot about until I started toying is the PTB tone system. It's like an EQ on the guitar, instead of a tone knob for the neck/middle p'ups. I like it, it took some getting used to, and I haven't gotten it dialed in yet, but I think it'll work.

And those are just my FIRST impressions, I can't wait to really get to playing it.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Telefied

Yeah, the treble cut and bass cut are great features to have, makes the G + L the go to for a lot of sounds.
I think you will find the G + L 'likes' tube amps, even the alnico V legacies; I am less impressed when I play my MFD'd ones thru an s/s tube emulation amp.
Please let everyone know if you found it strange at first given the way the neck and the pups all sit much higher above the pickguard than Fender strats do. I really like being able to set the strings down low on the board and yet have a little extra room alongside the strings for my right hand. Didn't know quite what to make of that at first, now I find it very useful.

Bubbanov

Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

the pickups feel a little bit high, but the way i have the p'ups set on my homemade strat are higher also, so it doesn't bother me a whole lot. i'm getting the hang of the treble and bass cut now and it is awesome. it feels like there are more sounds that i can dial in now, even though it just is a different control layout. very nice guitar

Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

So exactly what does the PTB do? It is a bass and treble cut? Or is there more to it than that?
electricbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's a tone monster!

I recently (about a month ago) took delivery of a Trbute Legacy. I have been VERY satisfied with my purchase.

Some background......

I am a praise/worship musician and played at various non-denominational congreations in Southern California. Before becoming a Christian, however, I gigged my way through college with a Japanese Squier Stratocaster, which I won at a blues festival back in the early 1980's. I sold that guitar in a fit of stupidity and regretted doing so ever since.

Out here in Tahlequah, I quickly got into the playing at church thing again. I decided, with my wife's input, that I'd look for a backup for my Telecaster.

I went into the local music store which is basically just around the corner from my house, and quickly spotted a Tribute ASAT with "soapbar" pickups. I wanted to like this guitar and definitely liked the feel of it, but it didn't do anything for me tonally. Unlike my 2004 MIM, which feels like a living thing when played, this Tribute ASAT felt dead.

Back on the rack it went.

Next to it, however, was the Tribute Legacy that I wound up owning. I took it off the rack out of curiosity more than anything. My wife was with me at the time, and she reminded me that I was shopping for Telecasters or variations on the theme and not Stratocasters.

The first thing I notcied was how resonant the body was. It felt alive when I played it and that sucker was LOUD. It is far and away the loudest solid-body electric guitar unplugged that I have ever played. But it was also a very musical sound. I am one of those freaks who DOES care what a solid body electric guitar sounds like unplugged because in my experience, if it doesn't sound good unplugged, it ain't gonna get 'er done for me plugged in.

I HAD to plug this in. And from the first note, I knew I had something pretty darn special in my hands. My wife's jaw hit the floor as I started doing "If This is Goodbye" off the Mark Knopfler / Emmylou Harris duet disc. "You sound just like him," she said, and then she told me that I needed to buy that guitar.

A couple of other customers said the same thing, before I finished the tune.

So, it was tone that sold me on the Tribute Legacy -or, to be more precise, on that particular one.

We've got a phrase in Tsa Li Gi (Cherokee in Yonega language) that sounds phonetically like "Zee Yoost Go Nah Hey She" and it means "The truth I speak."

It has been a very long time since I have bonded so well so quickly with a Strat. The tone of my Legacy is pianoish and bell-like and it is very easy to get close to the sort of tones you think of when you think of what a clean Strat is SUPPOSED to sound like. To me, it is supposed to sound like a Strat in Mark Knopfler's hands does. He gets fantastic tones that compliment his voice and his songs, IMHO.

The second thing that impressed me was how much sustain the Legacy had. I simply never would have imagined that a guitar with an unblocked floating vibrato bridge would sing out notes so long when played clean. Turn up the gain, and the sustain when overdriven is almost too much of a good thing.

The third thing that impressed me was that I could bend the snot out of the B string without adversely affecting the high E. I couldn't do that with my old Japanese Squier and its traditional Fender vibrato bridge.

Fourth, the build quality seemed very high. The fit of the neck in the neck pocket would rival anything you'd see on a domestic Fender instrument. The quality of the body finish was flawless. The white/black/white three-ply pickguard even had smooth edges without flashing. The fretwork was well done, without proud ends. Overall, it looked to be made by folks who gave a rip about what they were doing. Compared to the other "Stratoclones" on the walls of this shop, there wasn't any comparison.

Lastly, the set up was PERFECT. The shop owner claimed that what I played was how it was shipped, but added that he'd do a set-up on it if I wasn't happy, or if there was something I wanted tweaked. He said that he was told that G&L employees do the set ups on these in their Fullerton facility after they arrive from Asia, and then ship them out to the retailers. Whoever they have doing this really knows their stuff. At the very least, they got it right on this example, as it is the most perfectly set-up solid-body electric guitar from new that I have ever played.

Guitars are like women in that you KNOW when the right one comes along. So when the shop owner offered to put the sold sign on this Legacy of mine, and said he didn't need a deposit, my wife told him to go ahead and do it, and told me that we'd found my next guitar. I could find another Telecaster later, if I wanted to......

My Tribute Legacy is "new old stock." The store owner said he picked up the line when they first came out. I have no idea when that was. He said that he took on 3 Legacy versions and 3 ASATS initially, and added the ASAT that I played after the sold the last of his initial inventory of them. He had reduced the price to $349.00 and said that he'd be willing to work on that even further, if need be.

My Tribute is different than Andy's in this thread in a few areas. Cosmetically, mine has a different logo scheme on the headstock than Andy's does. Mine says "Tribute" in very large lettering, with "by G&L" immediately below. To the right, as you're facing the guitar, the word "Legacy" tells you what the model is. The more brand-conscious among us would probably prefer the "G&L Tribute Series" logo on Andy's more recent example. He also mentions that his neck is "unfinished" whereas mine very definitely had a polyurethane type matte finish applied that was very tacky and downright icky and sticky feeling when new. It wore in nicely to a very snot-slick gloss after two days of intensive playing.

The neck on mine feels to be about a 12" radius which I can work with just fine and actually prefer for the sort of music that I plan on playing with this instrument. My old Yamaha humbucker-equipped "Superstrat" that I sold before moving out here had a fairly flat neck radius, too. It and I didn't get along because the neck profile was thin. The Legacy had a chunkier neck that fits my hands much better than the Yamaha's did.

The neck is tightly and straigtly grained maple, with a seperate fretboard cap of figured maple with some "bird's eye" grain patterning.

The pickups have the G&L logo on them. According to the shop owner, they're the same "wound in Fullerton, CA" units on the domestic Legacy models. I've got no complaints and if they ever get changed, it'll be a direct replacement repair.

Overall, the guitar is lighter than my Telecaster by a good margin. The light weight and resonant charecter make me think that the body is carved from basswood or possibly even agathis, though the killer tone suggests the former rather than the latter.

After three months of taking care of more pressing needs, the day finally came when I could pay for "my guitar" that the local shop owner so graciously put on hold for me.

When I took delivery, I found that the guitar came with a very nice gigbag with the "Tribute" logo embroidered on it. The shop owner, however, had a nice hardshell G&L case that he offered to exchange for the gigbag at no extra cost, and I took him up on his offer. It is a nice enough guitar that it should be transported in a hard case to give it the protection it deserves.

He also strung it up with a fresh set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings, and included a spare vibrato (tremelo) arm, as I am prone to leaving such things behind at gigs or misplacing them at the gigs and always carried spares with me. A polishing cloth and a can of fingerboard conditioner was also included in the deal.

Which, at $349.00, seemed pretty good to me. Some might say, "Hey, you could get a genuine Fender for that much during a Guitar Center sale," but I don't care. I'm more interested in getting the sound I hear in my head to my audience's ears than I am in the brand names on the stuff in between that helps make that happen. The thing could have said Hondo on it for all I care and I would still think it was a darn nice guitar and worth every penny.

We've got a word in Tsa Li Gi that pretty much says it all where my Legacy is concerned. That word is "Oh-Stah." Which is about as good as it gets. I can't say if they are all that way, because mine is the only one I have ever seen or played.

The serial number on mine is 03081966, which I suppose might offer a clue as to when the thing was made, if anyone out there knows how to decode this sort of stuff.

Tele-Caster
A Tsa Li Gi speakin', guitar pickin', fly fishin' fiend....
Tele-Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

awesome Tele-Caster! Nothing like finding a great guitar for a great price. I actually had to sell mine a month or two ago to help pay some bills. Let me tell you, I regret it for sure. Next time I get some extra money, I'm definitely going to dig around for a nice Legacy. Thanks for the great review

Old November 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Telefied

Glad you found a great one.

Sounds like a made in Korea one, at a Cor-tek facility there.
Some people where put off by the prominent Tribute graphic; the later Korean and subsequent Indonesian ones have the G + L big, tribute small graphics.

There was an initial run for export only in Japan, then when the first batches came out of Korea they were very heavy US content; I suspect yours might've been one of those.

No doubt there's always an exceptional CIK guitar that way outperforms a run of the mill MIA Fender, that's yours. Congrats

Bubbanov

Old November 21st, 2007, 03:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Still Diggin' the Tribby

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
Glad you found a great one.

No doubt there's always an exceptional CIK guitar that way outperforms a run of the mill MIA Fender, that's yours. Congrats

Bubbanov
I don't know if mine is exceptional or not, as it is the only G&L Tribute Legacy I've played thus far.

What I DO know is that it has been a long, long time since I've played a genuine Fender Stratocaster that sang to me like my Tribby does. I know that it lets me get the sound I hear in my head to the ears of my audience. I know I am not the only player who thinks it has great tone.

I also suspect that no matter how good these are, they probably aren't going to do much for G&L's bottom line, at least in the short term.

I've played mine in church. I've taken it to jams. When other players hear it, they all RAVE about the tone I get with it.

Then, the inevitable happens........

"You know that you could have bought a genuine Fender Stratocaster for that kind of money, don't you?"

Maybe. If I drove 65 miles to Tulsa, and did it when Guitar Center was having a sale on Mexican Standards, but then I'd have to find one that sang to me and let me get the sound I hear in my head to my audience. I already know this will do that.

"Why did you buy that instead of a Strat?"

Well, because I liked the tones I get with this and I haven't found a Strat in recent history that sings to me like this does. In fact, I can get tones with this that I have NEVER been able to get with a Strat and they aren't identifiable as 'so and so's' tones. They're MY tones.

"Well, Clapton and Hendirix played Strats."

Well, so what? I am not Eric Clapton. Hendrix is dead. I really don't want to be either one of those guys. That's a fact. I have my work cut out for me just being me.

"Fenders have higher resale value."

That might matter to me if I bought guitars with the idea of selling them. I bought my Tribby to make music on. Now that I have it, I am not overly anxious to part with it.

And no, I don't know what it feels like to have to sell a guitar to pay my rent and I hope I never do. I do know what feels like, however, to scramble and crawl for a gig so that I CAN pay my rent. Kinda hard to make money gigging when you don't have a guitar to gig with.

"Fenders are cooler."

I won't argue that, except to say that some cats have made some pretty darn cool music while playing them. I think I make some pretty darn cool music on my Tribby and my MIM Tele. So we're even.

"Pros play Fenders."

Yep. They sure do. If we use getting paid to play as a definition of "pro muscian," then I am one of them. Pros also use every other brand of guitar under the sun, too. Some of them use G&L's. I get paid the same whether I do an entire set with my Tele or whether I use the Tribby........

And so it goes...........

Fender makes great guitars. In another place and time, I might have found a Fender Stratocaster that sang to me like my Tribute Legacy does and I might have played a dozen Tributes without bonding with any of them. For me, it isn't a question of which BRAND is better, but which of the AVAILABLE OPTIONS AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE got the tones I wanted to get in order to allow me to express what I want to express musically. Fortunately for me, I couldn't care less about whose logo is on my headstock. It could say Hondo on it for all I care. It wouldn't prevent me from enjoying my guitar, because for me, the enjoyment is in the notes that pour out of the PA.

Based on the reactions that I've got from other players when they see my Tribute, it seems to me that some folks might be letting brand loyalty prevent them from finding tonal nirvana, or they are at least making the process a lot more difficult and time consuming than it needs to be.

In the long term, though, Tributes might indeed do something for G&L's bottom line. My curiosity is KILLING ME with respect to their domestic lineup. I mean, if their foriegn import is this good, I would suspect that their domestic output must really be something special. I bet I am not the only one who has tried the Tribute line who feels this way.

The thing is, I wonder how many folks are letting brand loyalty to Fender, or hero worship of famous Fender players, stand in the way of giving a Tribute, or domestic G&L product for that matter, an honest try?

T-C
Tele-Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

My local shop is a G&L dealer and I have been very tempted to take one home... I must confess to prefering the "vibe" of Fenders... I do think G&L's build quality and consistency is much higher than Fender's though. I can't remember the last time I picked up a G&L that was not finished to incredible standards. That includes the Tributes - they are the best budget / import line IMHO. That said, they tend to leave me a little cold... again perhaps it's bias, but I just don't get the same feeling of excitement when I pick one up. They also sound very different than Fenders in general. The pickups are of a different design... They sound closer to Gibson P-90's to me than Fender's single coils. But I do think they are fantastically built and the attention to detail is tremendous. The coolest one i saw was a butterscotch 3 pick up ASAT with a chambered body... it had the fastest neck of any fender style guitar I have ever played... I don't know what kind of laquer they use, but "it's like butter".

Also, G&L will build to your specs - like the custom shop only on standard orders - you have a choice of fingerboard radius, finish, binding, hardware etc... you can order your legacy with or without tremelo, you can have your headstock face finished to match the body... Good stuff!
teledano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I really like my Tribute S-500, but my wife REALLY likes it - she thinks it's too pretty for me to trade away. And I have to admit, the grain has a striking beauty that I've not been able to capture photographically. The trem stays in tune, the MDF pickups are sweet. Someday I'll get rid of the plastic nut, but otherwise it's terrific.

I guess it's a keeper.

Old January 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Tell the fender lovers.. g&l is a real fender... Since Leo fender is the "L" in g&l..
Leo fender left the fender Company when corporate took over and made fenders cheaper..
RaVe2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

nice guitar, congrats!

tell the haters to piss off...when they're paying the $$ they can buy whatever the hell they like.

enjoy it...
1962guitargeek is offline   Reply With Quote