The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

With with my first build of reclaiming oak from an old pew to build my strat pew-caster turning out acceptable, http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...ew-caster.html, I have found the weakness of tdpri for me. Everyone makes it look easy enough that even I can do it!

After coming across Ron Kirn's gorgeous black-cherry on his site I was immediately struck with it. Between being out of my price range for a Christmas present for my16 year old son, & my new interest in enjoying building I asked my son what he thought about me building one for him for Christmas. For some reason he jumped at it. I figure I better get started to be done in time.

I picked up a hunk of mahogany to put together with my menards tiger maple find.

Attachment 202514

Layout my template on the mahogany & give it a cut & route.

Attachment 202515

The unfortunate dreaded tear out! Fortunately I think it is shallow enough I can get by with taking all the material down to that level.

Attachment 202516

Last edited by eallen; October 21st, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
eallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Since I did the Resaw and plane of the maple down to .30" last week I ran the edges over the jointer & lined up the figure for a book match.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131021_222120.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	202524

I put wax paper down to keep it from sticking, glued the edges, & clamped the edges.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131021_222708.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	202526

Last edited by eallen; October 22nd, 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eallen View Post
With with my first build of reclaiming oak from an old pew to build my strat pew-caster turning out acceptable, www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/435245-pew-caster.html, I have found the weakness of tdpri for me. Everyone makes it look easy enough that even I can do it!

After coming across Ron Kirn's gorgeous black-cherry on his site I was immediately struck with it. Between being out of my price range for a Christmas present for my16 year old son, & my new interest in enjoying building I asked my son what he thought about me building one for him for Christmas. For some reason he jumped at it. I figure I better get started to be done in time.

I picked up a hunk of mahogany to put together with my menards tiger maple find.

Layout my template on the mahogany & give it a cut & route.

The unfortunate dreaded tear out! Fortunately I think it is shallow enough I can get by with taking all the material down to that level.
I am not sure why my pics didn't show the first time so here they are again.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131021_223320.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	202528

Name:	ForumRunner_20131021_223349.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	202529

Name:	ForumRunner_20131021_223422.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	202530

Name:	ForumRunner_20131021_223456.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	202531

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 21st, 2013, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You have some nice lumber, I think this is going to be a good looking guitar.
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

After removing the material for the forearm cut I decided it was time to give bending the top to match a shot. I lined the top up with the body and put a couple locator pins in place for alignment later.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131022_083923.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	202556

I decided to give AZkoaman's bending method a try from his thread, http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...ml#post3047596.
My top is a bit thicker so I have some novice room to work with. To boil the top I pulled out the trusty gas fish fryer filled with water. The big pot & abundant heat ability let the water heat quick and keep boiling the entire time the wood was in the water. I knew the fishing hobby would come in handy. Makes me want to try bending mesquite before frying fish for a little flavor. :)

Name:	ForumRunner_20131022_084913.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	202557

After about 20 minutes in the pot I clamped the top on the body and started applying pressure to the drop area. I didn't want to force the wood so After a couple hours I did it again to pull th gap out. The boiling did lossen my book match joint on that end so I did have to work at keeping it aligned & bent across the joint. In retrospect I think shortening my drop an inch or so may have been easier. I let it set clammped over night.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131022_090018.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	202559

Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

After letting the top set clamped overnight the moisture looks like it may have seperated the glue joint on the book match just enough to be visible. I am not a fan of polyurethane glue but I wonder if it would have been wise to use to stand up to the moisture better. Since I left a bit of extra when I ruff cut the top I have enough saw out the joint & reglue it with poly. Have to give it some thought.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131022_162547.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	202625

Name:	ForumRunner_20131022_162607.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	202627

Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I ended up cutteing the bookend apart and regluing. Then set about rebending the drop overnight. Thinner would have definitely been better! In my usual hurry up mode I glued and clamped the cap on the body.

While waiting on that to cure I got started on the neck. I am doing a dual action head adjust truss rod. On my last neck I found it easier for me to do my truss rod routes before I cut the neck shape.

I cut my blank to 4" wide & marked 1 1/2" in for my neck centerline.

Next I located my sons chosen headstocks pattern on the centerline & marked the nut location. He wants a 1 5/8 nut with so I marked that as well. I followed that by measuring 2.20" for my width on the other end & drew a straight line between the two points for my side layout.

Next I set my fence on my router table to 1 1/2" to offset for the head shape & routed the truss rod channel.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131023_233212.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	202960

Last edited by eallen; October 24th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Old October 24th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Fascinating. I don't have the talent, the patience, or inclination to do these builds. But...... I LOVE to watch them happen. Good show. The last guitar was a beauty too.
RevMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMike View Post
Fascinating. I don't have the talent, the patience, or inclination to do these builds. But...... I LOVE to watch them happen. Good show. The last guitar was a beauty too.
Thanks, we share similar dilemmas. Not only do I not have the talent, or patience either which makes for redo at times, Your ID tells we may be similar in vocation as well.

Old October 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMike View Post
Talent is not as important as desire. If you really want to build, that right there is worth 100 times more than talent.
Skill will come with doing, and patience is developed through perseverence. After you do something like screw up a finish on an otherwise well built guitar a couple of times, you will gladly embrace patience, lol.
OP, good luck and stick with it.

The only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
gitlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitlvr View Post
Talent is not as important as desire. If you really want to build, that right there is worth 100 times more than talent.
Skill will come with doing, and patience is developed through perseverence. After you do something like screw up a finish on an otherwise well built guitar a couple of times, you will gladly embrace patience, lol.
OP, good luck and stick with it.
You hit it right on the mark. For me personally the finish process doesn't cause me as much concern for error because I know I can just remove it & start over. It is my measure once, cut twice, & glue it quick that tends to get me in trouble. Still haven't master board stretching. :)

Last edited by eallen; October 24th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by eallen View Post
It is my measure once, cut twice, & glue it quick that tends to get me in trouble. Still haven't master board stretching. :)
LOL, I can measure twice and still cut it wrong. Hate when that happens.

The only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
gitlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Not much done today except cut the neck to shape. Spent the day installing seatbelts in my sons 64 F100. All in a week's vacation.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131024_194933.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	203121

Not pleased with my drop top glue up as it didn't say down along an edge. What to do? Soak the top area and apply pressure for a.few days? Or, plain the top off, sand off the drop & start over on the top?

Old October 25th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I was unable to get the drop top to stay down satisfactorly in the back. I could apply enough clamp pressure to remove the gap but unable to get the glue to hold it.

Attachment 203258

After being able to cleanly pry the top up in the drop area with a small amount of effort I had doubts of getting the remaining glue residue adequately removed for a clean glue line & assurance it would not come loose years down the road. So I took vengeance on the uncooperating top & fed it to the planer. A painful moment for us both, but more so for the top! :)

Attachment 203259

To help cope with the loss I glued up a new book match, took a trip to the Indiana State BMV to be reminded of real frustration thru genuine customer disservice, & moved on to cutting fret slots the cheap way while glue dried.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131025_201251.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	203262

Old October 25th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have to ask you: what are you holding in your avatar pic?

Old October 25th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen smith View Post
I have to ask you: what are you holding in your avatar pic?
I believe that one was a 5 1/2 lb bass, or bass if you put strings on it & play it.:)

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

That is a nice size.

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen smith View Post
That is a nice size.
Thanks, we catch 4- 5 1/2 lb regularly in our subdivision.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131025_221623.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	203294

Here is a pic of a fluke for a pond, 8 lb drum.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131025_221701.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	203295

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I decided to try planing this maple top down thinner to make it more workable. My fear was grain tear out from the planer. After reading over some tips I went with wiping over the side to be planed with a damp cloth, letting it set a minute & running it through. What an amazing difference it made. No tearout at all!!! I reset damped the surface frequently & worked great.

At just over 3/16" thick I decided to give some relief curf cuts in the back with a v bit using the router table. I drew lines about 1/4" apart parallel to the bend. Then I put a centerline of the bit on the router table and lined up my miter gauge to match. I also drew a perpendicular centerline of the bit to know when to stop my cut before reaching the edge.

Attachment 203781

I then made light cuts along the line to help with the bend. My first couple cuts were not quite as neat as I would have liked but with it filled by glue it will serve its purpose.

Attachment 203782

After letting it set clamped for two days to make sure it would form correctly I glued it & put it in clamps overnight.

Old October 29th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Pics for above didn't show so here they are again.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131029_064059.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	203801

Name:	ForumRunner_20131029_064119.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	203803