MIM Std Strat Pickups : 1990 to 2000 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 13th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

MIM Std Strat Pickups : 1990 to 2000

2 years ago lucked into a 1990 MIM Std Strat for pocket change on CL.

Loved it and really loved the pickups. Very P-90-ish. I assumed they were the dreaded bar magnet p-ups. Not dreaded by me - loved them.

Of course some other guitar came along to take my attention away ("Squirrel ! Get the squirrel !") and I sold it.

This past summer I saw a mint 2000 MIM Std Strat on CL for even less pocket change and grabbed it. It's a lefty - I'm a righty.

Had my luthier buddy set it up w/ a right-handed bone nut and I'm loving it.

The pickups ?

They're fine but much more Strat-y than the ones on the 1990.

Shouldn't they be the same ?

(The bridge is hotter than the middle and neck which I like - kinda like a Jimmie Vaughan I played.)

Also - both the 1990 and this 2000 have staggered polepieces but these are beveled.

BTW, speaking of that - do you think I should flip the pickups around so the polepieces are under the string they're supposed to be under ?

Old October 13th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Well they should be the same pups, as that is what the MIM FENDER Standards use to this day, but there were some Squier mixes in that era too. Could they have had crossed parts back then ???

Those dual bar ceramic mag pups where made/used in Japanese Squier's as well so they could have imported some of them and used them. Winding/ magnetic power can be somewhat inconsistent so that would put variables in the mix.

Just speculating, taking shop, no facts in the matter.
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eskimo View Post
BTW, speaking of that - do you think I should flip the pickups around so the polepieces are under the string they're supposed to be under ?
I would say if it sounds good like it is, leave it. Pole stagger is a string (s) balance deal, so if you feel you are pretty equal (power-volume) there, slowly strumming from low E to high e, you're good to go.
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've done a few lefty-strung righty axes for my friend, and the pup positioning on Strat pups doesn't seem to make a difference.
Strat62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah - when I looked, the polepieces were actually pretty even side to side (high E same as low E, B same as A, etc...).

Diggin' it - especially the 6th string.

Old October 15th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

re bar magnet pickups

A lot of people don't like the Std Strat pickups, the ones with the dual bar magnets underneath, they sound ok to me, a big on the hot side.

The MIJ Std Strats pickups have a single bar magnet underneath and they sound VERY good IMO.
My buddy has a mid 80s MIJ Std Strat that he bought new, it has those pickups, everyone who plays it asks what they are because they sound so good.
I had a MIJ 50s RI that also came with those pickups ,which is strange because the MIJ 60s RI I also owned at the time had alnico magnet pickups.

It could be that the early MIM Strats were using some of the import pickups , for sure the ones I've owned had the same cheap dime sized pots and funky 5 way switch as the MIJ Fenders.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote