'79 Hardtail - A few questions - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 29th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

'79 Hardtail - A few questions

I saw this in a store local to me yesterday spent about 20 mins giving it a good play and check over.

The action is super low I mean super low! however it has baby strings on it and is choking out so is in desperate need of a setup (proper guitar shop not sure why this hasn't been done already tbh). Sounded lovely the board is pretty much wear free.

Now to the point of the post, 1200 seems a lot for a late 70's guitar doesn't it? Have I just been out if the game for a while and the prices have rocketed?

10 years ago I was offered a late 70's hard tail for just 400??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Str...item20d6032ae3

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

1200 isn't too far over the odds. Some people are trying to get 1500+ for those, which is extortion at the minute IMHO. I'd try and get the seller nearer a grand but I haven't seen a '79 for less than that for a year or two. Having said that, I think for the last few years the prices have only tracked inflation and I only look for them occasionally or in bricks and mortar shops.

Whether they'll ever be considered attractive vintage instruments is anyone's guess. You'll either see them stall at about the prices of a new standard for a while or they'll double before the end of the decade... But early 70s Fenders are starting to crawl up now so these might.

If it's a good example, I think you'd be able to sell it for somewhere round what you paid for it - especially if you can knock 10-20% off. 1k for a good '79 feels about right to me.

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You might want to make sure that it is in fact a 79. Fender used the S9 decal for quite some time. My S9 strat is actually from 1981.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrasonic View Post
You might want to make sure that it is in fact a 79. Fender used the S9 decal for quite some time. My S9 strat is actually from 1981.
True - about the only way to tell is to take it apart and check the dates on the neck, body, pickups, and pots and more or less go with the last date.

That being said I also don't think there is currently a price difference between a '79, '80, or '81 "standard" Strat; they all go for about the same price and any variance is some kind of premium for a specific color.
John C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
True - about the only way to tell is to take it apart and check the dates on the neck, body, pickups, and pots and more or less go with the last date.

That being said I also don't think there is currently a price difference between a '79, '80, or '81 "standard" Strat; they all go for about the same price and any variance is some kind of premium for a specific color.
It might be a bargaining chip for the OP?

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Prices on those late 70s Strats skyrocketed over the last 10 years. I bought a guitar similar to that one in 2003 for $800. Sold it a year later for $1150. If I had hung on to it for another couple years it would have been approaching the price that one is going for. I'd offer less for it, but if you have your heart set on one, go for it.

FWIW, it was a great guitar. I miss it a lot. If it wasn't diarrhea-brown, I would probably miss it more.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Is this a guitar that you want to play or to have as an investment? Are you interested in getting the best guitar for your money? If you really like it then maybe it's worth it but there is nothing really special about those guitars for the most part. Not that they didn't make some great ones but that era is considered by many to be fender's worst period, in fact the '70s were a low point in quality across the board for many types of goods. The only reason those guitars (other than the thinline tele's) go for more than the new ones is because they're old IMHO. I would consider a used custom shop strat or one of the thin skin models if I was going to spend that kind of $. Then again, if that is a great guitar then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old August 30th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had ask when I was in the shop if they have had it apart to check date stamps and they looked at me like I was mental!

It's not an investment It will be gigged regularly if I do get it! It's a real player though just a shame about the set up! I got him down to 1200 maybe if i go in with cash on the table I might get it down closer to the 1k.

Old August 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hmmm... If you're not getting it for the vintage value, consider your options. Pot metal bridge, part-plastic tuners, heavy ash body, thick poly finish, inconsistent fit and finish... As far as I can tell, the American Vintage 70s (or any other AV) Strat has (mainly) better parts and better QA, and you can pick them up second hand for under 1k.

But, I think the '79 looks nice and it's defintely got an aura and a good colour combo. I've often coveted a late 70s natural hardtail. That's the having-a-Fender-the-same-age-as-me value that attracts me, though :)

Old August 30th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Do check it out properly inside... they've listed it as 'all original' witha 9.5" radius neck. It's probably 7.25" not 9.5", but if the seller's listing a detail like that wrong, it's possible they'd miss rewiring or non-original pickups. That kind of inaccuracy is always an alarm bell to me.

Of course, correct me if 9.5" radius necks some kind of factory option - they first officially appeared on some Teles in the mid 70s, I believe. Strats didn't get them until the mid 80s?

Old August 31st, 2013, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

My brother in law has a 79 hardtail in wine red. Bought it new back then. I remember in the early 80s when he had the pickups rewound because they sounded so thin. It also weighs around 9 pounds. Not a special guitar. Honestly I have a Bullet hardtail Strat I bought new from GC in 2007 for $70 that plays and sounds much better to me.

So make sure that guitar is something special. Some are. Some aren't. Try and be objective about your feelings toward it.

I've owned both kinds. Including vintage, vintage reissue, and custom shop. Only ended up keeping the vintage and Bullet as they were the best of the bunch.

Old September 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks guys in probably going to leave this one it's a player but when I think about it nothing really spoke to me!