A question about Shoreline Gold Strats - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 27th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

A question about Shoreline Gold Strats

Hello Everyone:

I recently acquired a 50's reissue fender stratocaster in Shoreline gold.

my question is this, what's the big deal about shoreline gold?.

I am not flaming it or anything, I like the color, but I remember a while back when some of the USA vintage reissues were that color, people made a big deal about it.

also excuse my lack of knowledge, but were there any famous players who played a shoreline gold strat?.

I always liked the color, but finally getting one, well it's cool.

I mean a NOS 2006 50's reissue, that doesn't happen everyday.

any input is appreciated.

thanks in advance
George

rallygsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I like Shoreline Gold, I painted my 3 p-90 Tele that color. I like the understated fine metallic color.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...ml#post2571488

I don't know of any famous players that had a guitar that color but it wouldn't make much difference to me.
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Dick Dale!
gordon schumway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 27th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Robbie Robertson has/had a real nice gold strat but I'm not sure if it was shoreline gold, probably not, but the stage lights can make things look different than they are under normal lighting.

I have an American standard strat in blizzard pearl, which is another laid back type color, similar to shoreline gold. It has an Anaconda hide type pickguard I put on it and it looks really good to me. It is in my Avatar but you really can't appreciate it in such a small picture.

I also really like the shoreline gold strat. Congratulations, it sounds like a real nice guitar.

Old August 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hello Everyone:

thanks for the info.

I thought Dick Dale had the metal flake one, I have seen pictures of his older ones and they all seem to be metal flake, but still a killer guitar and a very under-rated guitar player in my opinion.

I haven't had a strat in a while, it has been sometime, the last one I had was a deluxe players strat in honey blonde, and that was 2004?.

I was kicking the tire at getting another one, and when I seen the prices of a used MIM standard VS. this 50's classic reissue, well the 50's classic won.

but I remember in the 90's some people made a big deal over the U.S. vintage reissues in shoreline gold and I was wandering what's the hoopla about it.

it's kinda like how a lot of people like Jimmy Page's 60 Lake Placid Blue Strat as seen on the Knebworth 79 special, you know the mystique with colors on a strat.

eihter way I'm happy, but I need to score a set of pickups for it ( later on ) after I pay the layaway off in September.

but for now Franken-Tele is my main axe, a 2004 MIM body with a 2010 Blacktop tele neck with a rosewood board, and a lot of mods :)

take care
George

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

@Duffy
If you're talking about that metallic finish Strat Robbie Robertson played in The Last Waltz film, that was actually a guitar he had bronzed by a firm that bronzed baby shoes, something Earthlings used to do at one point. He said in an interview he wanted to do something special for the Band's last show, so he had his Strat's body bronzed. He also said the guitar became so heavy it was unbearable to wear for long periods of time, which is why you never saw him play that guitar after The Last Waltz.

Talk about a guitar finish. Lots of guys spray metallic-flaked paint. He had his electroplated in copper.

I'm guessing he didn't need to shield that guitar.
Green Funyuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

All of the Fender custom colors have a following. In 1968, I traded into a used '66ish strat that was Ice Blue and back then, thought it was kind of hokey--I wanted a white, black, red, etc. strat that was a manly color like Jimi Hendrix would play.

Now, Ice Blue is a rare custom color; original Ice Blue strats bring big money and I'd now LOVE to have an Ice Blue strat. But Shoreline Gold is fairly rare AND manly, and kind of Fender's toned down version of a goldtop Les Paul. So I'd love Shoreline Gold even more than Ice Blue right now. (And of course, none of these colors make any sonic difference, but their existence makes for eye candy...association with a specific player really isn't *that* important unless you are a massive fan of said player.)

A bass player bud of mine recently ordered a $4k Sadowsky J bass and picked Shoreline Gold for it. Looks great.

George
YoGeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I like shoreline gold just fine. Seen more than a few danocasters in SLG that I drooled over.

Re: fender's custom colors. If I could get a guitar painted the color of the toyota rav4 I saw last friday, I'd be a very happy man. This car was red, and I do mean red of the highest order. There was something so primal, so cardinal, so visceral about that red that it is still sticking with me 5 days later. I've never seen a car so red as this, except maybe a custom painted hot rod. And it had some metallic gleam to it, but not CAR. And it was polished like a diamond on display in a gem museum. I don't know if it was a factory paint job or if somebody had it done custom. It was glorious and I'd love to have a strat with the same color. Oh, so red, so so very red.
bluesfordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hello Everyone:

all of the answers help.

see I have a bad addiction when it comes to guitars, in the past 30 years I have gone through close to 100, I am not kidding, I would buy, sell , trade, and then go bonkers doing mods and then get the next one.

but for now, I have settled down for now, I have to help pay for a family member's chemo treatments, and of course bills.

but the shoreline gold 50's reissue and franken tele are my axes, I need a Les Paul next, preferably a studio prior to the weight relieved crap.

as for custom colors, I was gassing over those flake FSR strats a few years back, the orange one and the rootbeer one, that orange one had such a classic look.

but now they have those satin finish teles with rosewood boards and those look so cool also.

take care
George

Old August 27th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I stand corrected on Dick Dale's Strat: it was metal-flake gold.
gordon schumway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I quite like shoreline gold with an anodized pickguard. It's a lot more tasteful than it sounds... Makes me think of an 1950s vision of the future rather than anything too bling. You don't see the combo often - I think the most recent Fender examples are a Custom Shop reissue Jazz or Precision Bass and a Duo Sonic.

Old August 28th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallygsc View Post
Hello Everyone:

all of the answers help.

see I have a bad addiction when it comes to guitars, in the past 30 years I have gone through close to 100, I am not kidding, I would buy, sell , trade, and then go bonkers doing mods and then get the next one.

but for now, I have settled down for now, I have to help pay for a family member's chemo treatments, and of course bills.

but the shoreline gold 50's reissue and franken tele are my axes, I need a Les Paul next, preferably a studio prior to the weight relieved crap.

as for custom colors, I was gassing over those flake FSR strats a few years back, the orange one and the rootbeer one, that orange one had such a classic look.

but now they have those satin finish teles with rosewood boards and those look so cool also.

take care
George
There was an orange color Fender did for a couple years right around the turn of the century. Absolutely glorious finish. For the life of me, I don't recall the name of it. I've seen maybe 2 of them on ebay and people were asking the moon for them. I'm not ready to pay a lot for a guitar just because of the color, it has to sound and play good, and not be a boat anchor.
bluesfordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I think it was Tangerine or Candy Tangerine. (pic is from the Web)

I have 3 Shoreline Gold intruments all produced in 2001

Fender USA Texas Special Strat. (Rosewood FB)
Squier China Standard Strat. (Maple FB)
Ibanez Japan SR800LE Bass ( not called SLG in this case but a very similar shade ).

Depending of the light source and the angle they look from grey to light gold

And this 2010 Fender Mexico FSR Standard Strat Sunfire Orange Flake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Candy Tangerine.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	195624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier Standard Strat Shorelinegold CIC 2001 (10).jpg
Views:	512
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	195625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Strat TS USA 2001 sl gold 01.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	195626  

Name:	Fender Strat FSR SFO MIM 2010 p1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	195627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier CIC vs Fender USA - Shorelinegold (3).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	195628  
5595bassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I love the color. I actually just sold my shoreline gold classic player 50s Strat tonight. As much as I wanted to bond with it I just never could... So off it went. Really beautiful guitar though!

And Lincoln Brewster has a custom shop shoreline gold that is really cool. He's a heck of a player too! See below...

Name:	image-2534072124.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	195630

Name:	image-1802816362.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	195631
go49ners is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Love the look of Shoreline Gold. Almost sprang for a 50s Shoreline Gold Strat a couple of years ago (first Strat that ever really felt good to me), but passed on it. Tried a Shoreline Gold Thinline Cabronita today; really sharp looking, but I just don't need that particular sound now. Maybe some day I'll find a Shoreline Gold to take home. . .
PopsCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Mine looks different depending on the light. It looks like Inca Silver or Blizzard Pearl in this shot. It never really looks "gold."

2000 American Series Texas Special in Shoreline Gold
davidwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwhitson View Post
Mine looks different depending on the light. It looks like Inca Silver or Blizzard Pearl in this shot. It never really looks "gold."

2000 American Series Texas Special in Shoreline Gold

Nice pickguard. Are those the stock pickups? Mine has the stock pickups and is blizzard pearl. It's in my Avatar and looks a lot like your pictures but my pickguard, anaconda hide, helps accentuate the tone of the color. I like the combination and I like the combination on yours as well. Very beautiful strat.

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks. Yes. It's stock with the pearloid PG & Texas Specials.
These were considered "Hot Rodded" from Fender. This model was what used to be called the Roadhouse Strat.

I love the looks & feel of this guitar, but can't really bond with the TS pickups.
davidwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2013, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Shoreline gold matches all your stage clothes, no matter the color or style. It's so hard to accessorize....
JKjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2013, 01:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

To the OP - to clarify, you have a Classic 50s PLAYER Strat, right? To my knowledge the Classic 50s Strat never came in Shoreline Gold.

I love that color. If I were going to get a Classic 50s Player Strat I would probably get that color.