Strat vs. tele - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Strat vs. tele

Help me understand the difference between the strat and tele sound. I used to have a strat, and now I have a tele, but I have never owned both at the same time, so it's hard for me to compare.

The issue: I got rid of my strat as the whammy bar bridge drove me crazy. I like to bend strings while others ring, and I could not stand how the ringing strings would go out of tune as the other note was bent. Even with a wood block glued in it still drove me nuts.

Enter the tele. Overall, I love the guitar, and of course the are no issues as described above. However, I sometimes feel that I just can't get the sound I'm looking for. I never had this issue with the strat. It's very hard for me to describe because I don't have both guitars to compare directly, but for example, I just can't get a good sound when I play something like Voodoo Child.

I guess what I need to know is if there is a way to get my tele to sound a little more like a strat. Thanks.

rpt50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Teles twang, strats quack or at least thats the conventional wisdom. What kind of Tele do you have. Maybe installing a middle pickup like the Nashville Tele would do the trick. Try messing with tone and vol knobs and pickup height.

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

On your strat, just put all five springs on the block and take the trem bar off. Mine doesn't move at all like that.
bangcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I understand where you are coming from. I have a Nashville Tele (one with a Strat middle pup) and it will get you there! It makes it great for gigging because I no longer have to bring a Strat and a Tele. The only bad thing with the Nashville Tele is that you sacrifice the Tele neck/bridge option.
ADK Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

For me the Strat sound is all about the neck pup. The in between quack settings are alright but the neck does it for me in getting the Hendrix sound and outright funk.
So I stuck Strat pup in my Telemaster and bang! - Strat funk and Tele bite in one guitar.
DrBanana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If I'm reading the op correctly, the Strat is gone an he wants to make the Tele sound like a Strat. That's a tall order. Maybe you could replace the Tele neck pup with a Strat pup?

Best solution is to get a Strat. Get a hard tail or block the trem.
regularslinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK Teleman View Post
I understand where you are coming from. I have a Nashville Tele (one with a Strat middle pup) and it will get you there! It makes it great for gigging because I no longer have to bring a Strat and a Tele. The only bad thing with the Nashville Tele is that you sacrifice the Tele neck/bridge option.
I couldn't do without the Tele neck/bridge option so wired my 3 pup MIM Tele; Bridge - Bridge/Middle - Neck/Bridge - Neck/Middle - Neck

Did it with a Megaswitch and got the diagram off Phostenix's site https://sites.google.com/site/phoste...3-pickup-teles

It's good, but not as good as my Telemaster, gonna put a Strat neck pup in it one day
DrBanana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Telefied

What model Tele did you buy?

Some have routing for Strat pickups in both neck and middle positions, and you can install Strat pickups there and get some of those sounds. But keep the stability.

Some say the arrival of the "Nashville" Tele doomed the Hardtail Strat. Some say (some models of the) Tele IS today's Hardtail Strat.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Sounds like you needed to block and/or deck the trem on the strat if you really wanted the strat. I got my first strat in 1968 and decked the trem. My most recent strat is an Eric Johnson that I bought last year; it came with the trem decked and 5 springs.

As for the tele, you could get a stratty sounding neck pickup (twisted tele, Rio tallboy, etc.) to get you part of the way there. And add a middle pickup if you are missing the quack sounds. I find the quack sounds to be a bit cliched and don't use them so much.

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Funny--my Strat and Tele sound almost the same when not plugged in. But with the amp, they really have different tones and different feels. The neck p/u sounds close, but the Tele is fuller and richer to me. But I don't think the bridge or middle Tele tones can duplicate the Strat tone that Hendrix or SRV or others got.
Robert H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I built a Nashville telecaster with Jason Lollars. It has a 5 way switch. The only difference is that I don't have the second tone control. It is a tone monster and you can pretty much do anything you want with this kind of telecaster!

Old August 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

A Stratocaster is just that. The Tele is a tele. Why not save a couple hundred bucks and go buy a CV Strat and have both! Vive la difference!
brianswindall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You could just get a Strat neck pup and pop it in place of the Tele neck pup keeping the Tele bridge pup having the best of both worlds. Or get a Nashville style set up like suggested and keep you Tele neck pup and put in a toggle switch.

Old August 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianswindall View Post
A Stratocaster is just that. The Tele is a tele. Why not save a couple hundred bucks and go buy a CV Strat and have both! Vive la difference!
I use teles and both hardtail and trem strats...to me they're all different animals. To many the strat trem IS the strat sound.
JKjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yeah you can do wonders with pups ... after playing Gibson for 15 years, I went back to fender choosing the tele for the same reason you did, namely not wanting the tremolo.

While I quickly learned to love the feel of my Tele, the sounds where too meek for my taste, so I threw in a humbucker in the neck and a hot pup in the bridge. The hot pups don't Twang, so basically I feel like playing a mix of a gibson'esque (not quite gibson, still has more bite) neck and a power strat in the bridge. I'm very happy!

Depends on where you miss the sound. If you like your bridge, then just plop a strat pup in the neck or go nashville if you want three pups.

If you want something else, then throw in something hotter into the bridge and lose that twang .. and while your at it .. you can throw something fun in the neck as well.
Lobomov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

I have Teles and Strats and love them. I think they are a good design. Nothing else will do.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
I have Teles and Strats and love them. I think they are a good design. Nothing else will do.
Really .. what about a nice ES-type guitar ? :)
Lobomov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
Really .. what about a nice ES-type guitar ? :)
Not in this life time.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

You really need both, they are entirely different guitars. The Tele is the broadsword, the Strat is rapier. If you have another opinion, well you're wrong it's that simple. No, don't thank me just soak it up.

The only problem with a Strat is that stupid tremolo. I tried decking the trem. Nah, that don't work. Then I set the Temolo where it will return to tune by giving it a good goose, like you would a fat woman. That works, but it's still a tremolo, out of fashion, and even Jeff Beck can't really make one sound right no matter what his groupies say, and Jeff, put some sleeves on.

Then along comes Clapton with the best idea he's had since he decided not to mix it up with Hendrix on stage, THE BLOCK. If you carefully install about an eighth inch block between the spring side of the cavity, and the edge of the cavity, and another perfectly fit between the back of the tremolo block and the cavity, VIOLA! The perfect guitar. Of course you will need to wire it to suit you, but that's the easy part.

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Get a hard-tailed Strat.

P
Phelonious Ponk is offline   Reply With Quote