A Matter of Weight - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 17th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

A Matter of Weight

Question: If you purchased a Stratocaster and was told it weighed 7.5lbs yet when you received it weighed 7.75lbs would you be upset?

Old August 17th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If the guitar was otherwise great, I wouldn't be the least bit bothered. I think there are far more important attributes to consider than a guitar's weight.

Old August 17th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you like it otherwise, ask for a discount. If it isn't perfect, or close to it, the weight will nag at you. In that case, return it and hold out for something better. Life's to short. Might as well have something that will bring you pleasure.
Mark V Guitars is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My Strats are 8 and 8.5. The 8.5 one feels lighter because it balances a bit differently. As long as your happy with the overall weight, I think balance is more important than .25lb. Also, it depends how it was weighed. Scales can be really inconsistent and it depends how it was held, so it might have been sold in good faith.

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

So you're talking about a difference of what, 4 ounces? Can you really tell the difference?

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Maybe the 7.5 was the weight of the guitar, and 7.75 is the weight of the guitar plus strings.

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

No. Guitars are not sold by the pound.

Give or take 1/2 a pound is more than adequate for stating the weight of a guitar, the scales could be out by that much. Your scales could be wrong too.

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Who cares? They probably were using a cheaper scale that did not measure too close. I had a nice, expensive, shipping scale I was using that I found out was out a couple of ounces. That happens too. Hard to even balance a guitar to get a good weight on a lot of scales.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Is the guitar as described otherwise? If not, the weight is one more discrepancy for the list.

As far as the weight itself, four ounces +/- would not change my decision to buy or not buy a guitar.

But I'm not you. If it's really bugging you, you should take a stand.
You'll never make a wife to a home lovin' man.
Ricky D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

sounds like you got more for your money
.25 lbs doesn't sound like a deal breaker to me
joeford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I would if it was a nice aged steak and I was paying up the yazoo by the pound but a guitar???? If it plays well and sounds good I'd keep it and forget the rest. I doubt I could even tell a 4 oz. difference between my guitars.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EXP, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I guess I'm just being too nit picky. My Teles all come in at 7lbs my other Strat comes in at 7.2 lbs. So 7.6 or 7.7ish seems a bit heavier than what I'm used to. That said the guitar sounds, plays, and feels pretty dang good.

Part of my big hang up is I like my Vintage reissues to be as close to the old ones in feel. But it looks like there were some 56s Strats in this similar weight range.

Off to play.

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Average weight of a tele /is/ 8-lb, I expect strat to average the same.
The bodies are much the same size, the necks are the same, the strat has more ironmongery.

Go under 7-lb and they get progressively neck heavy, which is more of a burden than a heavy guitar. That neck is a dense lump of wood and it is bothersome to keep lifting it up whilst trying to play it. Your strats are at the light end of the spectrum.

Old August 19th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDairy View Post
But it looks like there were some 56s Strats in this similar weight range.
I can answer that one definitively: yes, there were. My original '56 weighs 7 pounds, 15 ounces.

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I can answer that one definitively: yes, there were. My original '56 weighs 7 pounds, 15 ounces.
So that's about 8-lb then.

1. Baja06 Tele 8-lb 0-oz
2. AmSer07 Tele 8-lb 4-oz

The Baja feels heavier due to the greater neck weight, it's a matter of balance.

My Peavey T-40 bass is lighter than my Yamaha bass but feels a lot heavier because it is neck-heavy. Balance is important.

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the actual confirmation on the weight Bill. I've read in the Stratocaster Chronicles that Buddy Holly's '58 was 8lbs too. So this whole light weight Fender thing? Where's it coming from?

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Thanks for the actual confirmation on the weight Bill. I've read in the Stratocaster Chronicles that Buddy Holly's '58 was 8lbs too. So this whole light weight Fender thing? Where's it coming from?
In the old days (1970) I had a '62 Strat that was definitely 8 lbs or over.

The whole "light guitar" thing is, I believe, partly due to players being more comfy with a little less weight on their shoulders, especially as they age.

There ARE definitely lightweight guitars that have a great depth of sound and excellent sustain; there are also lightweight guitars that are kind of blah sounding. Near 8 lb teles and strats generally sound really good; I've got examples of each and mine are great sounding guitars. I also have a sub 7 lb Road Worn tele and a sub 7 lb Eric Johnson strat and they are killer sounding guitars as well.

In addition to this factor, there is a certain synergy between individual bodies and necks. I have known of kit guitars that sounded "wrong" but swapping bodies/necks with another kit guitar made the pieces sound ultra "right". And then there are pickups--a heavier, ringier body will take hotter pickups better without getting mushy sounding. (Again, this is very general and IMO...)

If it's a good sounding guitar, I would not worry about the weight unless you have a bad shoulder or back, etc. In the 70's I knew guys who played four hours a night in bars using a 12 lb Les Paul. (I used a really light SG standard in my 4 hour bar gigs in 1974.)

Play in good health,
George
YoGeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

George, you've got 30 years on me. Do your 8lbs Fenders give you any back issues?

Old August 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
George, you've got 30 years on me. Do your 8lbs Fenders give you any back issues?
I have had a back back since I was 14 (congenital problem, but I also started playing guitar at 14). In 2011, I had a triple spinal fusion and have 8 screws and 3 rods holding my back together. I don't believe guitars messed up my back as much as carrying a Twin Reverb or Super Reverb did in the old days...(and those are what I played for almost 30 years).

My heavier guitars are still under 8 lbs, maybe 7.8-7.9 lbs (tenths of a lb, not ounces) and with wide leather straps, they are not a problem for me, although if I need to play for a long time standing up, I will play a lighter guitar if possible. Although, I do a Fri night jam band thing for ~2 hrs standing up and my regular guitar for that is a 7.6 lb MIM Tele (with HOT pickups and an ashtray bridge).

EDIT--I also have a ~9 lb '73 Les Paul Deluxe (which is light for a solid sandwich-era Les Paul) and that is not a big deal but I don't play it often--more because the neck is really thin. And in general, we should all feel sorry for bass players...

One other guitar I owned back in 1968 was a really light '66ish Ice Blue strat, and I remember not liking it as well as the wood was pulpy and soft, and it had a ton of little dings and belt worming on the back (bought it used)...I remember thinking it was a crummy piece of soft wood. Nowadays, I would adore the dings and worming...

George
YoGeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

My pine avatar Tele is a bit lighter @6.6 lbs than my regular 83 tele at @8.0 lbs....

I set the pine body up with a '02 Mex neck.... though by the time it came to put it together, I had put the Mex neck back on it's Fender body.... and used a mighty mite neck I had here...it felt well balanced/played nicely at the get go......

but I had to try it with the mex neck... so I did a quick neck swap... put the MM on the mex body and the mex neck on the pine body...

YUK... the mex neck was too heavy on the pine body... the balance was all wrong.... it dived....

same with the mex body... the neck was too light.... balance all wrong..... didn't feel right...

I swapped them back to where they belonged..... the balance was more important than the relative weight issue.... :)
"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is offline   Reply With Quote