Cheap Strat or Clone and Trem Spring Question - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Cheap Strat or Clone and Trem Spring Question

I'm looking for a cheap Strat or Strat-Clone to do some experiments on. My only real concern besides playability, is that after-market hardware and pickguards fit.

What have you found that you liked? Used and pawn shop specials are fine.

Does anyone know where to get extra long trem springs?

Old August 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

What's cheap? You can get some decent squiers for less than $100.00.

Oh you were probably talking about hardware not guitars. Sorry I'm no help on this one. Someday ill find a way to contribute. Lol.
playforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

GFS will have everything you need. I think FR springs are longer than standard Strat springs.
Strat62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I found some years ago plans for a way to use the springs in a Strat as a kind of reverb. The middle pickup is put in the trem cavity after it's elongated and longer springs are added.

As far as a cheap Strat, less then $300. Hopefully, much less. Something solid rathey then plywood. But I need to make sure I can get a two pickup pickguard that fits to hide the middle pickup rout.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If thats your budget, if you can find a Squier Deluxe Strat (usually) about $269 or so, you wont even have to do anything to it.

Mine is AWESOME. I had two, just traded off one for an archtop.
RevMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMike View Post
If thats your budget, if you can find a Squier Deluxe Strat (usually) about $269 or so, you wont even have to do anything to it.

Mine is AWESOME. I had two, just traded off one for an archtop.

I agree. I have a white pearl one and it is definitely a very nice strat, stock, Duncan Designed pickups.

To experiment with your under the pickguard middle reverb pickup idea, I might try to find a super cheap Squier totally used somewhere for a very low price. It seems like the Squier Deluxe strat is just too nice to mess around with unpredictable experimentation. Why mess up a good thing when there are lots of used Squiers in semi beat up shape available very inexpensively?

Good luck with your experimentation. I wonder how that pickup "under" the pickguard works and sounds. It seems like it would sound very weak that far from the strings and mounted below the pickguard.

Old August 27th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

MIM strat $225 set of alnico pickups like a Squier cv series $50
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Find an old Peavey predator, preferably a US made one. I've owned one since new in the early nineties, and its a great cheap strat copy.

Old August 28th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

GC has Squier bullet strats on sale well under $100 right now. Should be full depth body.

I like MIMs better myself. While learning how to level frets, I did both MIMs and Squiers. Most 10 year old MIMs took less than half an hour. Most Squiers were 2 hours. Horrible fretwork.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've got an SX strat clone, one of the rondo specials. Picked mine up from a pawn shop for $90 aus ( it was incorrectly marked, it is a more deluxe version). Very playable and good sounding. Don't know about aftermarket hardware fitting though, I know I would like to change the tuners on mine

Old August 29th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I was given a Chinese Strat copy by my colleagues when I changed jobs in 2001. Since then it's been treated to replacement tuners, decent CTS/Fender pots, a set of second hand (but unused) pickups from an American Series Strat (the asking price sounded reasonable, so in they went). New volume and tone knobs from Allparts, plus a set of stainless steel saddles, trem arm and brass block from Guitarfetish.com (they offer an import 10.5mm spaced trem block for Chinese, Indonesian and Korean made Strats where the trem arm hole can be slightly 'off' compared to a MIA or MIM).

Was a cheap Chinese Strat wannabe worth all that additional expense? Probably not, but finding out what improvements can be made to an already playable beginners instrument became rather addictive (), plus it has a certain amount of sentimental value (it rekindled a dormant interest in guitars after many years of leaving the things well alone), so I'll never sell it!
Loco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Colorado View Post
I found some years ago plans for a way to use the springs in a Strat as a kind of reverb. The middle pickup is put in the trem cavity after it's elongated and longer springs are added.
Did that to a pawnshop strat once (but using the regular trem springs). I think I used a DiMarzio X2N pickup for extra oomph in the reverb. It worked (mostly) but it wasn't worthwhile, to me, to keep the experiment. The guitar was soon cannibalized for other projects.