One tone pot - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

One tone pot

Since I've been a Tele player and just recently got a Strat, I'm having trouble getting used to the volume knob being in my way. I would like to eliminate one of the tone pots and move the volume pot down out of the way. I've read other posts that say practice, practice, practice and you'll get used to it. I don't think that I will get used to it. Has anyone else done this, and was it worth it or should I just stick with the p,p,p advice above? The mod can't be that difficult, and it's not a real expensive Strat to begin with but I really enjoy playing it for the versatility of the sound. Thanks for any info or opinions.

Twangfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Not hard at all, I did it and never looked back

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=3s_1v_1t_5w

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I did it as well. Easy mod, and now I am much more comfortable negotiating the knobs.

If you don't like it, it's easy to put back.

We were all convinced that he was educated beyond his intelligence......
richinva is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm not gonna say don't do it, but I will say keep trying before you change it. I finally got used to mine, and glad I did. If you're out, and pick up another Strat, you'll be used to it, and won't fumble while playing. Just my 2 cents.
lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

In that Strat wiring diagram, the tone now works on the bridge pickup too, yes? That seems a nice configuration.
supernewt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It does take a while to get used to coming from a tele.

I actually enjoy the dual tone now, in pos 2 and 4 you can set the tone on either pup a little different to get alot of different tonal shapes

pos 4 w/ the neck pup low on the tone knob and the middle pup a couple steps brighter is one of my favs on a strat for leads.
strateles is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've never had a problem adapting to different models. I feel at home on Strats,Teles,Lp's,Danelctro ..ect

https://www.facebook.com/ScumoftheFNearth
NastyMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewt View Post
In that Strat wiring diagram, the tone now works on the bridge pickup too, yes? That seems a nice configuration.
Yes, the lead is jumped between the two commons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want the bridge with no tone control (as some do) you can move the jumper to just the neck and middle lugs and run a separate jumper from the bridge lug straight to the output jack.

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidmo View Post
Yes, the lead is jumped between the two commons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want the bridge with no tone control (as some do) you can move the jumper to just the neck and middle lugs
Just this part

and not this part
Quote:
run a separate jumper from the bridge lug straight to the output jack.
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hey TF.........

I now have 4 Strats in my collection and have had others in the past. I've always had the (always in the way) top volume knob removed and the volume knob moved to the middle hole with the tone knob on the bottom and working on all three pickups. I had that done the first time in the late sixties at the repair shop at Fender when they were still in Fullerton. They had no problem doing it and didn't give me any flak at all about it, the tech even thought that it was a good idea.............JH in Va.

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I switched my strat to 1 volume / 1 tone a couple years ago and never looked back. I had to get rid of the middle knob so my sausage fingers didn't get in the way during volume swells. I followed the SD wiring scheme and had no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130617_210809_resized.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	188937  

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I prefer the master vol and master tone arrangement, but keep the volume in its usual place. You do get used to it over time; I had the same problem as the OP when I first started playing Strats, but now it's not an issue at all.

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangfan View Post
Since I've been a Tele player and just recently got a Strat, I'm having trouble getting used to the volume knob being in my way. I would like to eliminate one of the tone pots and move the volume pot down out of the way. I've read other posts that say practice, practice, practice and you'll get used to it. I don't think that I will get used to it. Has anyone else done this, and was it worth it or should I just stick with the p,p,p advice above? The mod can't be that difficult, and it's not a real expensive Strat to begin with but I really enjoy playing it for the versatility of the sound. Thanks for any info or opinions.

Heh, two of my strats dont have a tone knob at all.

"tone" is over-rated you know.

anyway, hell yeah, yank off the volume knob closest to the bridge, and re-wire it to suit your needs.

Personally, the strat that I have that has an actual functioing tone knob, just affects the bridge pickup and not the other two, which is directly opposite what Fender intended. Sort of. More or less. Maybe not. I dont know.

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I think even Rory's strat only had one tone pot, because the other had stopped working he simply wired the remaining one to do the lot. It certainly worked rather well.

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have all three knobs on mine, but the middle pot is a tone control for all three pickups and the rear pot is a blender for the neck and bridge pups. Works really well for me.

If the knob is in your way, yeah, yank that sucker out. And I highly recommend wiring the bridge pickup through a tone control. It really opened up a pickup that I never used before the mod. Without a tone control, the bridge pickup on a Strat is usually set somewhere between "icepick to the eardrum" and "banshee shriek", at least to my ears.

Old July 13th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Even though I agree with those that say I'll get more used to it in time, it'll always be in my way. I'm going to take it out because I enjoy this guitar too much to let this take away from my fun.
Twangfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It won't take long to get used to it.

I got a strat 2 1/2 weeks ago, and for the first couple of hours i'd find the volume turning itself down.
Took a little while, as my usual guitar was a prs copy, and i'd changed the volume to the first tone knob and replaced the volume with a toggle on that one, but after readjusting my aim it doesn't happen anymore.

My point is if you change it on this guitar, you might find it hard on the next one you play or buy. Just aim your pick between the neck and middle frets and you'll never hit the volume again.

Another thing i found that aiming there helps with is keeping your wrist off the floating bridge and getting unwanted tremolo sounds, which i found I used to do when resting on my bridge in a modifed super strat.
HarveyTBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

+1 on re-purposing a pot to work as a neck blender. Bridge plus neck is a great sound. And I like a tone knob for all three pickups.

Old July 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've been mainly playing my Jimmie Vaughan Strat again after years of mainly playing Teles, and after a few weeks you get used to the controls again. Several years ago I wired an "expander" circuit in it, with a push-pull pot on the bridge tone control to activate it, so I can get bridge/neck, which is my favorite Tele tone. Middle pup has no tone control on JVs. Just neck and bridge, which is how it should be IMO.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hey Tap4154, I should have a Jimmy Vaughan Strat arriving in a day or two. I plan on trying the wiring as stock for awhile (although I'll probably put a treble bleed bypass circuit on the volume pot).

I will probably also ultimately wire the bridge and neck to one tone pot, freeing up the other tone pot to be a neck bleed pot. But if I like the middle pickup straight up with no load, then maybe I won't wire it into the tone pot...although in my experience I don't hear a lot of difference either way when the tone pot is dimed.