Help diagnose wiring problem - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 28th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Help diagnose wiring problem

My Strat seems to be wired right but sounds horribly thin and weak in all positions. Just opened her up looking for anything obvious but didn't see anything. Any typical causes? Bad pot? Something is sending all the low end to ground or else blocking it from getting to the jack out. Next attempt is to try bypassing tone pots to eliminate these as possible culprit. One hassle is I have to take neck and strings off each time I go to fix it. I should hack a chunk out of the pick guard by the neck to eliminate that problem.

Old June 28th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Im thinking this is a typo
Quote:
One hassle is I have to take neck and strings off each time I go to fix it
I would put one string on(low e)while I sort it out.Did you change anything?Did it ever sound right?Can you post a picture of the wiring?Have you tried another cord or amp?Check all solder joints for bad connections frayed wires and shorts.Do all 3 pickups sound bad?
Barfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfly View Post
Im thinking this is a typoI would put one string on(low e)while I sort it out.Did you change anything?Did it ever sound right?Can you post a picture of the wiring?Have you tried another cord or amp?Check all solder joints for bad connections frayed wires and shorts.Do all 3 pickups sound bad?
All 3 positions sound bad. I have other guitars so its not cord or amp. No photo needed since it looks right. It has sounded thin a long time, but I thought it was just its Stratty sound. Now after comparing to another Strat I think something's wrong. It's a 22 fret neck that overhangs pick guard, and body is not bathtub routed so pickguard must come straight up to come off. That's why I have to remove neck to remove pick guard.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 29th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Seems that although the claw was grounded the bridge itself was poorly grounded. Fixing that improved overall plugged in tone. But guitar is inherently thin sounding, even unplugged, compared to another Strat I have. I think it's the body wood, but am not positive. Another reason to like Teles- less complicated and less finicky!

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I once wired a Strat and it sounded thin. Turns out, reversing the polarity of of the hot & ground leads fixed the problem. It was suggested by a TDPRI member. I don't understand why but it worked.

On Facebook
reverbbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you had Fender and Seymour Duncan pickups that makes sense to do for one of them since they have opposite color scheme and can end up out of phase- at least that's the stock warning right now. I think I've also diagnosed a crummy, light bridge block as an issue; but I might just try reversing the wires, too. It's a set of CS Texas Specials, so I should confirm that the light colored wires are positive and the black ones are ground.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Also make sure ground is really ground, and all the groundings are ok..

Plato
uriah1 is offline   Reply With Quote