Stripped thread on Tremolo arm - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Stripped thread on Tremolo arm

for the last month or so Ive been playing a MIJ 54 RI strat.....most of the time Ill keep the tremolo arm loose but for a few tunes Ill tighten it down and position it up closer to my picking hand..

It seems I've managed to strip the threads either on the tremolo arm, or on the bridge...I've got another tremolo arm I can try but if I stripped the the threads in the mounting hole in the bridge, I'm wondering if there's any way to fix it short of replacing the bridge...or doing anything too inviolved like re-cutting the threads...

Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You may have to recut the threads with a tap and die set. Remove the arm, and closely examine the threads on the arm first. If they look messed up, use a die and recut the threads, if it's the bridge try to retap the threads there. Remember to go slow, and use oil. Turn in, loosen 1/2 turn, etc.

If it still doesn't fix it, you might try one or two wraps with some teflon plumbers tape.

Hope you get it fixed up.

Old June 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If the bridge threads are messed up, you can change the block and keep the rest of the bridge, because the threads should be in the block, not the plate itself.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If the threads in the block are messed up that bad, chasing them with a tap won't help at all because there in't anything left that is substantial enough to cut into. Which means either replacing the block (easy), or drilling and tapping the hole oversize and installing a threaded insert (helicoil).
Frodebro is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
If the threads in the block are messed up that bad, chasing them with a tap won't help at all because there in't anything left that is substantial enough to cut into. Which means either replacing the block (easy), or drilling and tapping the hole oversize and installing a threaded insert (helicoil).
Exactly. There are several manufacturers of inserts, but I've found Keensert to be one of the better ones. If that's the route you go then that's what I'd use. It may be just as cheap and simple to replace in the long run though....
lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had another arm and used that one..and everything worked just fine..thanks for the suggestions!
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote