classic player 60ies or jimmy vaughan or eric johnson? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

classic player 60ies or jimmy vaughan or eric johnson?

hi friends,

it is possible that i will have some money to buy me a dreamstrat.
whichone is the best?
steelblock, strong brigepup, good trem?
eddie

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Me personally. I would go with the Jimmy V. Something about those that I've always loved. And white is my fave strat color.
RevMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
KC
Friend of Leo's

Ha! I have that guitar -- JV in olympic white with a maple neck. terrific neck, I like the pickups (some people don't), stays in tune and has, I'm told, a US-made trem block & bridge assembly. Bridge pickup isn't super-strong but -- thanks to the tone setup, which puts the #2 tone control on the bridge instead of the middle -- it's actually usable, which is more than I can say for any other strat bridge pickup I've played. Never played the other choices, though.
KC is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I recently bought an Eric Johnson, which is my dream strat (and I owned my first strat in 1968). IMO it's clearly in the realm of Fender Custom Shop quality and specs. All lacquer, American build, and really well thought out features that perfectly suit me. And the neck shape/size just fit me perfectly. It can be had in your choice of maple or rosewood boards (mine is maple) too.

That said, the Jimmie Vaughan is absolutely a great guitar, especially for the money. I have played one for extended jam periods and it's got everything a person really needs. If I ran across one for a hot deal, I might be tempted to grab it...love the neck on this one as well. Maple board only, but the pickups are hotted up in the bridge just a tad.

One problem for me with the vintage RI strats is the vintage frets--I like bigger. But the Player 60's does have a flatter radius and bigger frets. Doesn't look like a hot bridge pickup, and rosewood board only. I would have to see how the neck size/shape worked for me. It might be a thinner 60's type profile that I would not like as well as the EJ or JV strats.

Good luck; they are all gonna be great guitars.

George
YoGeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The CP60s has an extremely thin bridge pickup

Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMike View Post
And white is my fave strat color.
I totally agree. Fell in love with mine on first touch... ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130323_080647.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	172744
lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistMagus View Post
The CP60s has an extremely thin bridge pickup
that is not good.
i read that the ej strat has a very trebly bridgepup.
i would like the blue one with the bounded fretboard so much.....

Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewagner View Post
that is not good.
i read that the ej strat has a very trebly bridgepup.
i would like the blue one with the bounded fretboard so much.....
The EJ has its own pickup set; the bridge is a bit hotter than the neck and middle pickups and has Alnico V magnets. They are definitely vintage flavored--not huge and fat sounding, and the EJ, like the JV, has a tone control on the bridge pickup which I DO like (and actually require).

If you want to mess around with pickups, I'd suggest the JV which has what I believe is the fattest stock pickup set, and is not such a valuable guitar that it would destroy the value to change out the pickups. I would not want to start messing around with an EJ although if you save the original pieces and do neat work, it's not a horrible thing to change out pickups.

That said, if you EQ your amp properly, vintage pickups can sound plenty fat. I worry more about imbalance between the different pickups on your guitar where it's a bear to EQ the amp to make them all sound like you want. (For instance a vintage tele bridge pickup with a full size neck bucker is an issue...and I played the Wayne Kramer strat which has trebly, vintage bridge and neck pickups and a huge fat bucker in the middle that is twice the volume and a totally different EQ to it.)

Good luck,
George

Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Just got finished playing my CP60s in Sonic Blue. Great guitar. I recommend it. I might put a set of Lollar Blackface pups one of these days just to see...

WaylonFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^^^^

that is what it all comes down to. because of the great tremolo and the blue colour. the axe is not too expensive and i guess it will be fine for my instro-surf stuff. on teh other hand i could go for an american strat in hss setup in surfgreen. so very many strats out there, keeps my mind busy.

Old March 24th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've always wanted a Jimmie V. I haven't played the V-shaped neck for an extended period before, but I like it when I try it out.

And white Strats.... oh, yeah!

Old March 24th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I agree! I'd go for the JV strat, white with maple and Texas special

White is the color I love for strats!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4029074574.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	172949
Vintage V-100 Gold Top
AlexEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nub
Tele-Afflicted

It doesn't really seem like a fair comparison. The CP60 & JV Strats are both very cool, but the EJ Strat is on a whole other level of fit, finish, parts, and materials... it's about as close as you can get to a CS Strat w/o paying the CS prices.
Nub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

the white strats looks so cool. brings the jimmy vaughn back into the game. just read about the hot texmex pup. sounds like a good idea.

Old March 24th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nub View Post
It doesn't really seem like a fair comparison. The CP60 & JV Strats are both very cool, but the EJ Strat is on a whole other level of fit, finish, parts, and materials... it's about as close as you can get to a CS Strat w/o paying the CS prices.
I own an EJ and paid a big price because of what it is, US made, with wonderful specs--exactly to my taste. But IMO, the price *is* just about there with CS stuff, although looking at Custom Shop prices now makes me dizzy.

Actually, all the American Vintage stuff is priced right around where the EJ strat is, so in that context it is an OK deal.

But for the money, I love the artist MIM guitars. I have a Muddy Waters tele and love both the Cray and JV strats.

George

Old March 24th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewagner View Post
hi friends,

it is possible that i will have some money to buy me a dreamstrat.
whichone is the best?
steelblock, strong brigepup, good trem?
eddie
I have never played an EJ strat so I cannot comment on that. I have played the other two you are considering and I like the JV. It is a great player. I see others saying they liked it from the moment they got their hands on it. It was the same for me. Not a fan of the stock cp60's pickups either. I also have a pre JV tex-mex 96-97 and it too is a really solid player. Swapped the original pickups out of that because they were just not for me.
musclebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclebuilder View Post
I have never played an EJ strat so I cannot comment on that. I have played the other two you are considering and I like the JV. It is a great player. I see others saying they liked it from the moment they got their hands on it. It was the same for me. Not a fan of the stock cp60's pickups either. I also have a pre JV tex-mex 96-97 and it too is a really solid player. Swapped the original pickups out of that because they were just not for me.
Unless you have the ability to pay for it (as I barely did), I might suggest avoiding the EJ strat I have never spent this much for an electric guitar and did not really intend to, and have been happy with $300 MIM teles, etc. But the EJ just sucked me right in with its neck shape, natural resonance, and details. Fender did a helluva good job on it.

But as I said, the JV and Cray strats are wonderful guitars as well and frankly better guitars for the dollar in the manner of my Muddy Waters tele and my 50's Road Worn tele--the high end MIM artist and Road Worns ROCK--they are not finished in the US and the artist models are not lacquer finished (but the Road Worn is).

George

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
Unless you have the ability to pay for it (as I barely did), I might suggest avoiding the EJ strat I have never spent this much for an electric guitar and did not really intend to, and have been happy with $300 MIM teles, etc. But the EJ just sucked me right in with its neck shape, natural resonance, and details. Fender did a helluva good job on it.

But as I said, the JV and Cray strats are wonderful guitars as well and frankly better guitars for the dollar in the manner of my Muddy Waters tele and my 50's Road Worn tele--the high end MIM artist and Road Worns ROCK--they are not finished in the US and the artist models are not lacquer finished (but the Road Worn is).

George
George, thanks for your input on the EJ strat. Honestly, I doubt I would ever go in that direction if I was spending that much money on a guitar. When I got my first JV strat I had also got a american vintage reissue. It was a beautiful guitar but for the money the JV was a great bang for the buck like you said. Interestingly the reissue eventually got sold and the JV I hung onto. So same here man, I have always been perfectly happy with MIM fenders and even some MIJ. I can always make some upgrades if need be like pickups ect..But heck, even when we have a 2k guitar we tend to do that.
musclebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Nub
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
I own an EJ and paid a big price because of what it is, US made, with wonderful specs--exactly to my taste. But IMO, the price *is* just about there with CS stuff, although looking at Custom Shop prices now makes me dizzy.

Actually, all the American Vintage stuff is priced right around where the EJ strat is, so in that context it is an OK deal.

But for the money, I love the artist MIM guitars. I have a Muddy Waters tele and love both the Cray and JV strats.

George
I agree that the MiM stuff is a great value, and I've dug every MiM Strat & Tele I've owned. I just think that given the OP's question ("which one is the best?"), and without knowing what specs are important to him/what his budget is, the specs on the EJ are just too different than the other two choices to really compare.

Btw, used EJ's are a great deal right now... I see them for $1000-$1200 all day long, and a buddy of mine just scored one for $800. That one was too good a deal to pass up, but I did, and let him snag it.
Nub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

For $800 I'd buy a spare in a minute... I don't see them for even $1200 all day long, but I haven't looked hard because I have one already. I agree that of the ones he listed, I like the EJ (which is why I own one), but the cost is pretty stiff.