G&L MFD Pickups... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

G&L MFD Pickups...

I have a beautiful G&L Legacy that I'm not in love with. Actually I am in love with everything but the sound-I really prefer the sound of MFD pickups and the Legacy is loaded with Alnicos. It was kind of a stupid impulse thing-I know I prefer a more aggressive tone but I heard one in the store and decided I really wanted that classic strat sound.
The classic strat sound is fine when I'm playing at home, but with the band I really like the added punch of the MFD's.
SO what say ye, should I modify the Legacy by switching to MFDs, sell it off and replace it with an S500, or suck it up and live with it?

laidback is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The S-500 also has a mini-toggle that gives you the bridge/neck and bridge/neck/middle combinations, if that's important to you.

G&L sells the MFDs for $99 apiece at their website. If you're really in love with everything but the pups, putting MFDs in might be the way to go.

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

try used too!!

I bought used a G&l Classic rear pup for $35. Loves it!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

If you like MFD's, either find a used set or swap guitars, whatever ends up cheaper and easier. G&L necks vary, so if you like your neck, I'd suggest keeping the guitar.

I have an old SC-3 (1988) in the closet, with a neck that is just too small for me to be comfortable with and MFD's. As I recall, the pickups are nice and aggressive, but did not have the magical "juicy" sound that I tend to like in tele and strat pickups these days.

(I have also owned an ASAT Signature--which is like a Special, and an ASAT Classic, and I did not like the Classic pickups at all, went to tele pickups. I spent a number of years on the Guitars by Leo page as well.)

There is a specific character to MFD's that I find in things like Harmonic Designs Vintage Plus pickups (also with ceramic magnets underneath the pickup) and Bardens (which I don't like as they are too hot and sizzly). Even current MIM tele pickups are made using this construction.

If you want hotter pickups in the Legacy, consider that there are a lot of other choices. Something like a set of HD Vintage Plus's might really work well for you. I also like Rio Grande pickups a LOT.

Also, I have found that MFD's vary from year to year and set to set...kind of like Fender pickups from the old days.

Just some input for ya,
George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote