Johnson Strat copy - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

Johnson Strat copy

I picked up a poor, neglected Johnson strat copy from a pawn shop a couple of days ago. The had it marked down from $79 to $39. I made a stupid offer of $10 and he said yes!

The majority of these cheap Johnson strat copies I've seen have all had one of two headstock shapes.....both ugly! This one has a 'real' strat headstocj shape.

Got it cleaned up and restrung. I must say, I'm pretty surprised how well it plays. The neck is very comfortable and it plays and intonates very well. I have yet to open it up and check out the pups and electronics, but as is, it doesn't sound too bad at all. Bluesy neck pup and it's quite stratty in the notch positions.

I bought it with the intention of giving it away to someone in need. I do not need another guitar and already have my lifetime strat....but this darn piece of crap is so much fun to play, I just may hang on to it for a while.

I love it when a cheap guitar surprises and sounds and plays much better than it should. It already crossed my mind to change out the pickups, pots, switch, etc......and I may do that when I give it away, but for now I'll leave it as is and enjoy it for what it is.

BB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Those little diamonds in the rough are nice surprises.

http://www.ourstage.com/profile/nekkidcountry
voodoostation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Any pics?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 11th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

$10 of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarter_1 View Post
Any pics?
OK....since you asked, here are a few pics of the $10 wonder! Like I said, the playability of this cheapo is a real treat....I still have a few stickers to remove, but at least the spider and skull are gone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	johnsonstrat 001.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	170754   Click image for larger version

Name:	johnsonstrat 002.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	170755   Click image for larger version

Name:	johnsonstrat 003.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	170756  

Click image for larger version

Name:	johnsonstrat 004.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	170757  

Last edited by BB; March 11th, 2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added pics

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've never heard of Johnson so I've no idea on quality but it looks really nice, $10 is a steal for a working guitar no matter what the brand is. I could do with that kind of luck!
plymman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Looks good...

Old March 12th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

As far as Johnson guitars, the ones I've seen are certainly not what I would consider a 'quality' guitar. I usually run across a handful (99.9% strats) of these in my pawn shop sweeps. The local vintage guitar shop carries a dozen or so Johnson acoustics for starter packages. He did have a solid top one that cost a bit more and actually seemed to a decent guitar, but the majority of the used Johnson line I've come upon are low level, beginner type.....this one is no exception!

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Bought a Johnson Strat at Goodwill $15.00 but with a very Vox looking headstock. Things stays in tune with the bridge blocked, a really fat round neck, sounds good plays good & is very light...A beater/keeper..
TeleDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

Cool teledrifter! The Vox headstock description is a good one. Those are what I usually see around here....and occasionally, the one that has some wierd cuts in it.

still have yet to pull the pckuguard and check out the pups, pots, switch and wiring, but at least the pups are hum cancelling in the 2 & 4 position.

The neck on this one has some real beef to it also. The radius is at least 12" and probably more like 16", so it plays nice and bends are real easy.

One of the tuners was so loose, it was darn near ready to fall off. Luckly, I had one that matched in my parts box. Even though the tuners are pure junk, it has so far stayed in tune very well. I have a sealed set from a Squier I could put on it, but that would then lead me to upgrade the pups and electronics....which would lead to keeping it.....

I just gave my grandson a Squier strat....my other two grandsons play the piano and cello, (plus I have alread given each of them guitars) and my 5 year old grandaughter is waiting for me to find her 'a pink Hello Kitty' guitar, so I guess I'll find someone else in need and go from there.

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Guitars for troops in Aghanistan is a good place to donate a guitar. I sent them a nice PRS copy a while back but unfortunately I was never contacted by the person who got it. I kind of expected an email.

http://www.guitars4troops.com/

Old March 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

Hey, thank you for that info Zimbo! I have donated parts to those wonderful people who put together guitars for vets, so I love the concept. I will check it out for sure.

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymman View Post
I've never heard of Johnson so I've no idea on quality but it looks really nice, $10 is a steal for a working guitar no matter what the brand is. I could do with that kind of luck!
I could be wrong, but I think the Johnson instruments are branded as "Vintage" in the UK.

I used to own a Johnson brand metal-bodied resonator ukulele and I know the exact identical model was for sale in the UK with the name "Vintage" on the headstock.
Muddslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Johnson acoustic at a yard sale for a slide guitar, since it had maple back and sides. It was finished in black so I assumed plywood--scraped some of the paint off around the soundhole, it's got a solid top.
Octave Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I had one of those, someone turned it in to Goodwill, I got it for $30 and it played great, I sold it to a guy and he still plays it to this day.
rockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote