Any Fans of the Yamaha Pacifica Strat? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Any Fans of the Yamaha Pacifica Strat?

I've seen many of the $119 variety in pawn shops and was not impressed. This week I came across one of their midline strats for $249 at GC and I liked it. I can only imagine what the high priced line is like since there are not too many available in the US.

Any fans here of the Pacificas?

Old March 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think there were some early pacificas (Japan) that got a lot of love, like
the lawsuit Fenendes and Tokai
All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking itís pretty damn complicated in the first place......"D.Adams"
uriah1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I had a nice, red 1990's 912 model, my daughter now enjoys it.
It's very well made, and very versatile.
brookdalebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Two of my friends bought >£200 ones. Well made, well set up for a learner who doesn't get a setup!
Triton Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've got a 97 or 98 Pacifica 112. It is the basic model in a natural finish. It was my first electric and picked it off the rack without knowing a thing about guitars. I loaned it out to a buddy for a few years. Recently got it back and can still enjoy some of the sounds it gets.
They are good quality basic guitars. The nicer ones come with a few nicer appointments but I think have the same pick ups and hardware.
Reverbely is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had one for a few years in the 90's and it was a great guitar for the money...$100. Sold it after a few years but I kinda wish I had kept it. Just a great bang for the buck axe.
gitold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

In my experience with Yamahas, once you get up to a 300 series, you've got a decent guitar, may need hardware changes, but the wood and build is solid.
Octave Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My friend had one that he played for 10+ years, kept it all stock and it sounded great. Yamaha make some brilliant budget guitars. I still have an F310 acoustic that 15 odd years old, still sounds and plays lovely.
plymman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yamaha has always made decent to excellent musical instruments at various price points--that has always been one of their products. I have a Yamaha FG700S acoustic (solid top, sunburst) as a utility guitar and get compliments from people about its look and tone. It plays as well as my Martins and I've brought it to jams where people are playing really expensive stuff without giving it a second thought.

I am guessing that they own and control more of their factories than most other name brands, and make $20,000 grand pianos that are world class as well as some solid wood acoustics (think of Paul Simon's black Yamaha acoustic) that are as good as anything.

I have a pair of their nice PA speakers and for many years played a Yamaha G50-112 guitar amp--just gave it to a friend's son that was in hard times and needed an amp.

Again, if shopping at a price point, I would always look at Yamaha as a respectable and trustworthy brand name.

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
Friend of Leo's

I picked up a used one for about $100 just a few weeks ago. I can't remember the model number but they retailed for about $400. I really love it. Far more solid, and better pickups, pots, parts, fretting, etc. than I expected. That's what sold me on it. It's one that I keep coming back to when I'm playing at home. A nice, plain, no frills Strat-type that sounds really good.

"I never practice my guitar... from time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." - Wes Montgomery
idjster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I had one. I worked in a music store that was a dealer. I picked a nice blue midline one and got it at cost +%. I changed the pickups at one point. Then I put the originals back in and sold it to Tim Armstrong. He used it until it was stolen from an open house in Denver.

I played it a lot in a band that played Dead and reggae music. Usually through a '66 Super Reverb. It played well, was light and comfortable. Overall a good guitar.