Brownie - really?? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 7th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Brownie - really??

http://www.fender.com/custom-shop/features/brownie/

I mean I guess if you are a collector or something. I know it shouldn't, but this just bothers me....

$15k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

LOL
AirBagTester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Telefied

A no-brainer for a CS special release. One of the iconic Strats. At that price, it should be autographed by EC. I'm sure he's getting a cut.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Have they all been touched by Eric?

("Touched by Eric" could be the name of a new Custom Shop line...)

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

As for the price, I suspect they know their intended market.

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Normal rules apply here, if you don't have 15K to spend on one, don't.

Funny that the pics show the builder doing the exact things I've seen other people criticize the CS over, i.e. shaping the neck on a sander rather than a CNC etc.
Maricopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLH View Post
A no-brainer for a CS special release. One of the iconic Strats. At that price, it should be autographed by EC. I'm sure he's getting a cut.
Have you seen Gibson's prices for CS special releases, or even some of their regular Custom Shop reissues (*cough* 1959 Korina Flying V RI for $12,000 *cough*)? $15k doesn't look too bad, especially for such an iconic guitar.

"The guitar comes in a special black textured vinyl Derek and the Dominos “Fragile” case that also contains several special extras, including a numbered certificate of authenticity hand-signed by Clapton, the 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition box set of Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, a Fender Custom Shop story and photo album booklet, and a Crossroads Antigua brochure."
Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

These are fundraiser guitars.

If you read the fine print on the Guitar Center ad's, it says this:

"A significant portion of the proceeds will benefit The Crossroads Centre."

The Crossroads Centre is a rehab facility. These guitars are part of the Eric Clapton Crossroads fundraiser held at Madison Square Garden next month. I wish I could attend, but I'll have to wait for the DVD.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The one thing that strikes me as odd about this guitar is that they're installing a 5 way switch in there. When did these start becoming available that EC would have been able to put one in there?

And interestingly, it's a vintage 71/4in radius nect which kind of suggests that our current requirements for flatter radius guitars is somewhat silly given that some of blues rock's most iconic solos with plenty bending was done on the original radius neck and I can't hear any choked notes in there!

I'd love to have one of these but I guess they're destined to become collector's items only - and let's face it who would spend that amount of money on an instrument and then take it to a pub gig - unless there were at least several armed guards with you??!!

I'm sure these will be as exact replicas of the original as is possible but for us mere mortals, I'm sure one of the lesser CS models would fit the bill very nicely.
Del Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It IS a guitar for collectors, as are the Clapton/Harrison Les Paul (also $15k), the Martin models (big bucks), and Fender tweed amps being brought out.

There is no reason for a player to "need" one of these, but if you are a well-heeled collector, it costs less than a lot of postage stamps do.

Buy a CS relic or MIM Road Worn (or build something) in your price range if you want a player. No need to complain about the price of a collector guitar built to be a collector guitar. Your playing would sound the same on a basic MIM strat to everyone in the audience anyway.

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Not being a Clapton expert, I need someone to explain why we need a Brownie clone. I thought Brownie was the Strat Clapton didn't play, in favor of the beloved and iconic Blackie. Didn't Blackie's neck come from Brownie, or something like that? Is this a $15K tribute to an also-ran?

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Got Google? Here is the Wiki article on Brownie. It was used for Layla et al which is not insignificant music, and the original Brownie fetched $450k at auction (also for charity purposes):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_%28guitar%29

It is more famous than any of my guitars will ever be and likely more famous than any of yours. As I said, it's a charity piece, probably a decent player, and not worth the money for a player guitar.

It's just wood, metal, and wire...just like Blackie, which sold for $959,000.

George

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocas...n-brownie.html
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Truly interested not looking to slag the git as I think it's a beaut but what did a 56 cost in 67?
Sidney Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The Wiki article I linked said that Clapton paid $400 for the guitar in 1967. I swapped a '64 SG Junior that I paid $125 for even up for a '62 strat in 1970.

I also bought a 1970 Hemi Cuda for $2400 in 1974 (and flipped it for $4200 later that year) and saw one sell on Barrett Jackson for half a million a few years ago.

It's just wood and metal with collector/player value attached to it.

I recently swapped a Gretsch and some additional bucks for a new Eric Johnson strat recently, making it the most expensive guitar in terms of my investment. It's SO freaking good though... But I also play MIM teles at outdoor gigs. Nobody in the audience will ever notice or care...

George

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you're buying anything for a fundraiser then you shouldn't expect bargain prices or. high value. Similarly, when a political candidate has a $500 a plate fundraiser dinner, the guests aren't going to be served $500 worth of food.
Alex W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
The Wiki article I linked said that Clapton paid $400 for the guitar in 1967. I swapped a '64 SG Junior that I paid $125 for even up for a '62 strat in 1970.

I also bought a 1970 Hemi Cuda for $2400 in 1974 (and flipped it for $4200 later that year) and saw one sell on Barrett Jackson for half a million a few years ago.

It's just wood and metal with collector/player value attached to it.

I recently swapped a Gretsch and some additional bucks for a new Eric Johnson strat recently, making it the most expensive guitar in terms of my investment. It's SO freaking good though... But I also play MIM teles at outdoor gigs. Nobody in the audience will ever notice or care...

George
Thanks for the info.
Sidney Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I remember back in 1980, while in college, you could still pick up a ton of older strats for $300 to $400. It was years before the vintage rush and nobody really wanted an old beat up guitar. There were walls of them in the music stores in Spokane and Seattle. If I could time travel I would go back there and buy them all.

From my link above, you can read my review having played one of the Brownie reissues. That neck was interesting but not quite my cup of tea.
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

And to round out the picture, the Consumer Price Index for 2013 is about 6x what it was in 1969. A new strat was about $300 in 1969, making the equivalent dollars about $1800 today. That would buy a nice Custom Deluxe Strat these days, or get you close to a vintage reissue '57 or something like that.

A cheap Japanese guitar, barely playable, was about $50 back then, and the equivalent $300 would buy a nice MIM or Asian Vintage Vibe guitar these days which would be VERY nice and playable.

A new Twin Reverb was $500 list, maybe $400 selling price, which would come close to a $3k handwired amp these days.

A cheap new car in 1969 like a VW Beetle was about $2k, making that about $12k now. A new car would be a bit more these days, but would have a lot more standard equipment, safety gear, etc.

George

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
If you're buying anything for a fundraiser then you shouldn't expect bargain prices or. high value. Similarly, when a political candidate has a $500 a plate fundraiser dinner, the guests aren't going to be served $500 worth of food.
Well, that's it in a nutshell isn't it? Well said.