2008 MIM Strat Neck - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

2008 MIM Strat Neck

Can you recommend a Strat with a wider and fatter neck than my 2008 MIM Strat? I have difficulty playing it after spending time on my LP and acoustic. Something around $1000. Thanks

Saljam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Any of the "modern" (non-vintage reissue) MIA Strats will have a wider neck than your MIM. Try out an American Standard, American Special or a used Highway 1. Although then won't be much fatter if at all than your MIM.
tele12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Warmoth lets you choose the neck width and fatness.
weatherking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

All of the American Standard variants have slightly wider but very thin necks. I find them harder to deal with than my MIM tele necks.

Two models with wider/fatter necks are the Jimmie Vaughan and Robert Cray MIM strats; hard to find and the Cray is a hardtail. (The Cray is thicker but not quite as wide, the JV is a nice wide, fat V neck.)

I recently got an Eric Johnson strat and I bet it has the neck you are looking for but it's a lot more money... And a lot of CS models have the "10/56" neck which is also a great fat neck but you won't find one for anywhere near a grand. Your best bet might actually be Warmoth or one of the aftermarket companies---buy a fatter neck and either sell your MIM neck to recover some bucks or put it in a drawer if you ever decide to sell the guitar.

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thank you for the responses. It's mostly my MIM neck's width that I'm having trouble with as opposed to the fatness. For example, the low and high E strings always "rolls" off the neck. If an new American Standard has a wider neck that may be the way for me to go. I also was reading about the Vintage 1962 Hot Rod. I will check them out at a shop this week. Thanks again.
Saljam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
Two models with wider/fatter necks are the Jimmie Vaughan .......
The JV does not have a wide neck. It has a "V" so the neck is deeper, because of the way the "V" is depending on where you rest your thumb the JV can feel bigger or smaller than average.
tele12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele12 View Post
The JV does not have a wide neck. It has a "V" so the neck is deeper, because of the way the "V" is depending on where you rest your thumb the JV can feel bigger or smaller than average.
You are right. I looked them up and the JV and Cray strats are both 42 mm wide at the nut. I have played a JV and swore it felt wider--and I thought it was specced at 43 mm wide. In any case, I really liked that neck.

The Am Standard and its variants are 43 mm wide, which does make a difference. But I personally hate the thinness of those necks and would rather play a 42 mm neck that is beefier.

When splitting hairs on neck width--which I have done, I would also note that the bevel on the fret ends and string spacing make a difference. If the fret ends are close to "vertical"--perpendicular to the headstock/body face--it makes for a wider effective neck than if the frets are beveled at the ends (which also tends to make then walk off the edge of the neck a bit).

George

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saljam View Post
Thank you for the responses. It's mostly my MIM neck's width that I'm having trouble with as opposed to the fatness. For example, the low and high E strings always "rolls" off the neck. If an new American Standard has a wider neck that may be the way for me to go. I also was reading about the Vintage 1962 Hot Rod. I will check them out at a shop this week. Thanks again.
Have you thought about getting a new nut carved for this neck with the E/e strings moved away from the fretboard edge? I've carved three nuts now and I goofed up the first one by putting the end strings too close to the edge. I fixed this on the next nut for this guitar and it plays just fine now. I only moved the two Es by maybe 1/64" apiece, but it made a huge difference in how the guitar played.

A new nut is a helluva lot cheaper than a new neck.
tfsails is offline   Reply With Quote