I just bought my first Strat!!!! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I just bought my first Strat!!!!

So after years of being a "Tele Guy" I finally bought myself a Strat...

My current #1 is an MIM 72 Tele Deluxe with CuNiFe Pole Pieces and 500K pots... several friends told me to "get an LP or an SG", but while I appreciate the beauty of LP's and the wood-working involved, I find that "regular" HB's just don't cut it next to my Deluxe with it's WRHBs and I don't think that another dual HB guitar would serve any purpose... and I just don't care for SG's looks wise so...STRAT IT IS!!!

Only bad bit: I have to wait till moday or so for it to get here, but it went in the post today so MAYBE I'll get lucky and it'll show up this weekend FINGERS CROSSED cause I can't WAIT to get playing...

SO: It's a Mid 2000's MIM Standard Strat, Sage Green Metalic with a Maple board (my WORD it's gorgeous!!!) with MIA Texas Special pups swapped in. A friend of mine who recently moved to Cali is thinning out his massive herd of guitars and knew I was looking for one so he offered me this one for a song ($200 shipped!!!) and it's in like new condition (he's sold all his other Strats -several MIA's- but kept this one and his CS Strat because he said that they were by far the best players of his bunch). I understand that the 2005 and earlier versions are "less Desirable" for a few reasons, but this one has been gone over completely and has had any of the raised "issues" addressed (guess it needed a fret dressing and a full set-up, but that's all done and he also shielded the pup's like the 2006+ versions).

My only concern is that while I'm perfectly comfy with the 9.5" FB, I'm wondering how I'll feel with the "vintage" size fret wire... how "small" are they compared to the medium Jumbo wire on my Tele Deluxes (I've got an original 73 and a MIM 72 RI)??? Anyone been in a similar situation coming off a bigger fretted guitar and had issues going to the smaller frets??? I play lead so soloing and fast fingering is certainly something that I'm concerned with, BUT I've played a lot of Strats and never thought "geez I can't get used to these frets"... that said I have NO idea what wire gauge was in those Strats and it could well have been Med-Jumbo wire... I'm not gonna cry if I have to have it refretted, but I'd like to know if there is any glaring issue anyone else has experienced making this jump AND I'll be splitting time pretty much 50/50 between this and my RI Deluxe so I'm wondering if I maybe shouldn't just have it re-fretted to MJ wire to make it feel more like my current #1... any thoughts are appreciated and I relaize it's kind of one of those "you'll just have to see" things, but I'm curious to see if anyone else had this issue...

Here's what it'll look like when it gets here early next week (this isn't mine, I just found a good pic online to give it some visual appeal, my apologies if I stole someone's picture, it's just here for example) :

Gotta say, I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas day to arrive and I don't think I've been THIS excited since I met my wife!!!

Can't WAIT to get my hands on this beauty to get accustomed to her as it's gonna be different from my current #1 (the RI Deluxe) but I am already SUPER excited to get using it to change some of my parts in some of our songs that call for that :Strat sound" more then a thick HB tone like I'm already working with... It won't REPLACE my Tele Deluxe, but it'll be seeing 50/50 duty onstage. I also think it'll be really nice for some of the side gigs I'm doing where I need more of a bright, poppy SC sound.

Anyway, sorry for the blabbering, I'm already too talkative as it is and when I get excited... WATCH OUT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

Dave

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Oh yeah and another question: I hear tell that the trem on these is different from the current standards, but is it something I can SWAP for the "new" version (the "high mass block" style tremolo I believe???) or is it not worth the hassle/not a concern???

I have not had a trem-bar on any of my guitars up until now and I'm worried about holding tune. in reality I'm gonna do a David Gilmoure thing and shorten the trem-arm once I get it, and I'd planned on running the added springs/stiffer trem springs anyway (I've got big strong hands and I can be kinda "heavy handed" when the hat is on ) I'm not into shredding and doing dive-bombs (nor do I want a locking deal/floyd Rose on my guitar) but I'm worried about tuning stability all the same... I may change out the tuners eventualy, BUT I've fond that the "better" MIA (but lower end for an MIA) tuners are pretty bad at keeping tuning in line (my Rhythm players MIA Strat has the "better" ones and they're horrible compared to the so called "bad" F-Style tuners on my MIM Tele Deluxe which you can't get out of tune unless you REALLY TRY)...

So will replacing it require routing or any other "bigger" mods to the body or is it a drop in replacement??? And is it REALLY that big a deal if I'm not a heavy trem user or should I just let it be???

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauqua View Post
So after years of being a "Tele Guy" I finally bought myself a Strat...

My current #1 is an MIM 72 Tele Deluxe with CuNiFe Pole Pieces and 500K pots... several friends told me to "get an LP or an SG", but while I appreciate the beauty of LP's and the wood-working involved, I find that "regular" HB's just don't cut it next to my Deluxe with it's WRHBs and I don't think that another dual HB guitar would serve any purpose... and I just don't care for SG's looks wise so...STRAT IT IS!!!

Only bad bit: I have to wait till moday or so for it to get here, but it went in the post today so MAYBE I'll get lucky and it'll show up this weekend FINGERS CROSSED cause I can't WAIT to get playing...

SO: It's a Mid 2000's MIM Standard Strat, Sage Green Metalic with a Maple board (my WORD it's gorgeous!!!) with MIA Texas Special pups swapped in. A friend of mine who recently moved to Cali is thinning out his massive herd of guitars and knew I was looking for one so he offered me this one for a song ($200 shipped!!!) and it's in like new condition (he's sold all his other Strats -several MIA's- but kept this one and his CS Strat because he said that they were by far the best players of his bunch). I understand that the 2005 and earlier versions are "less Desirable" for a few reasons, but this one has been gone over completely and has had any of the raised "issues" addressed (guess it needed a fret dressing and a full set-up, but that's all done and he also shielded the pup's like the 2006+ versions).

My only concern is that while I'm perfectly comfy with the 9.5" FB, I'm wondering how I'll feel with the "vintage" size fret wire... how "small" are they compared to the medium Jumbo wire on my Tele Deluxes (I've got an original 73 and a MIM 72 RI)??? Anyone been in a similar situation coming off a bigger fretted guitar and had issues going to the smaller frets??? I play lead so soloing and fast fingering is certainly something that I'm concerned with, BUT I've played a lot of Strats and never thought "geez I can't get used to these frets"... that said I have NO idea what wire gauge was in those Strats and it could well have been Med-Jumbo wire... I'm not gonna cry if I have to have it refretted, but I'd like to know if there is any glaring issue anyone else has experienced making this jump AND I'll be splitting time pretty much 50/50 between this and my RI Deluxe so I'm wondering if I maybe shouldn't just have it re-fretted to MJ wire to make it feel more like my current #1... any thoughts are appreciated and I relaize it's kind of one of those "you'll just have to see" things, but I'm curious to see if anyone else had this issue...

Here's what it'll look like when it gets here early next week (this isn't mine, I just found a good pic online to give it some visual appeal, my apologies if I stole someone's picture, it's just here for example) :

Gotta say, I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas day to arrive and I don't think I've been THIS excited since I met my wife!!!

Can't WAIT to get my hands on this beauty to get accustomed to her as it's gonna be different from my current #1 (the RI Deluxe) but I am already SUPER excited to get using it to change some of my parts in some of our songs that call for that :Strat sound" more then a thick HB tone like I'm already working with... It won't REPLACE my Tele Deluxe, but it'll be seeing 50/50 duty onstage. I also think it'll be really nice for some of the side gigs I'm doing where I need more of a bright, poppy SC sound.

Anyway, sorry for the blabbering, I'm already too talkative as it is and when I get excited... WATCH OUT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

Dave
Why 500k Pots?
Wileyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sage Green MIM w/ maple fretboard, and MIA Texas Special pickups...

What a beauty!

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Love the color! Congrats! After years with my MIM Strat I just got my first tele (MIM FSR BSB RC) about 7 weeks ago. I see now that you gotta have both. Have fun on the honeymoon, I'm still on mine!!!
LS-2>Fender Volume>Rogue Delay>FRV-1>Jamman
Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks guys!!!

I was smitten with the color and had completely forgotten about it... The pickup upgrade is just icing on the cake as is the thorough going over and care this things had.

@Obsessed: Congrats on the new guitar!!!! Sounds like you're as happy as I am Nothing better aye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post
Why 500k Pots?
I was referring to my Tele Deluxe, sorry if I was unclear about that part, I rambled on quite a bit aye ...

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Once you go Strat, you never go back! Nice color, congrats!

Old March 1st, 2013, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

nice Strat--congrats--love maple fretboards

Old March 1st, 2013, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks!!

Yeah I'm pretty set on Maple boards as well... It's funny cause while they're certainly out there, I found that I was coming up with Rosewood at a 3:1 ratio to Maple. Part of it is aesthetics certainly, but I've also grown SO accustomed to looking down at a maple board with black markers that when I grab Rosewood guitars it's like I have to let my brain adjust to what I'm seeing... Course when I close my eyes and let it all go that doesn't matter, but I also like the brightness that Maple gives.

Old March 1st, 2013, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

very cool. strats are awesome, and making a comeback, lol.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

HAHAHA yeah, I noticed as soon as I posted the thread that I wasn't alone in the "finally bought a Strat" camp aye Ah well, it was inevitable...

Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If you want to replace the bridge plate / block you just need to watch the string spacing. 2/16 spacing. Callaham and KGC do nice parts but there a touch on the steep side .
Joely is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Well it arrived!!!! I gotta say "Sage Green metallic" is a very cool color, even better in person. In direct sunlight it's REALLY green and in indirect light it is almost grey...

It need a few little changes/adjustments, but otherwise it's got that "Lenny tone" hiding in that in-between, middle/neck position and THAT is what i bought it for. Don't care for the bridge pup, and it needs some dialing in to sound good with my Classic 50's OD channel (I'm spoiled with the Tele Deluxe cause it is just SO perfect when the OD comes on), but in reality I'll be using the Strat for the sweeter, cleaner stuff where I can exploit that sweet Strat "ping/boing" that it does so well and going back to the Tele for the crunch.

I am planning some upgrades:
-New bridge/trem
-new tuners
-possibly some CS69 pups down the road
-and I may go to gold hardware if I find it won't look too gaudy...

Otherwise: I now "get" the Strat thing and I'm gad I' on board. It will NOT replace my Tele Deluxe, but it will be a new paintbrush to use for new tones I've always wanted. OH and I do NOT mind the vintage frets at ALL so that's great.

Cheers

Dave

Old March 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Congrats, the Strat is my all time favorite.
Picker4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

So after a few week with this sweetheart, I swapped the pups to CS 69's and I'm waiting on my Callaham trem-block at the moment

BUT... While I DO still LOVE my Tele Deluxe (and I'm never getting rid of it, it was my first "real" electric that made me feel like I had a good enough thing going to truly let loose) I'm SO IN LOVE with this Strat and truth be told, I'm playing it 99% of the time. The tones (even with the ceramic pups...) are to die for and I find myself playing clean SO much more. On top of that I'm shifting gears as my current band is sort of imploding and I'm moving more towards traditional blues/jazz tunes SO it's fitting in perfectly. The color... well I'm just smitten AND I've yet to run into anyone at any of the local jams with one like it. It REALLY stands out and the ladies seem to really like the color (much to my wife's chagrin HAHAHAHA).

Guess I'm "becoming a Strat guy" officialy... Never thought that'd happen, but then I though I knew everything when I was 20 and look how that worked out aye hahahahaha.

Cheers

Dave

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hang them both on the wall so you have easy access. They will get more equal playing time that way.
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post
Hang them both on the wall so you have easy access. They will get more equal playing time that way.
No doubt. It's easier when something doesn't sound right to grab the other, and say yep, that's it. Or if one looks pitifully lonely, give it some attention!
lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Good call guys, great minds think alike aye

...they're both out and easily at hand (thanks to my lovely wife for allowing me to have such a luxury in our small house) but for some reason I just am gravitating to the Strat more and more. Even though I'm still working out the whole "double stop bend" thing with the Trem floating, I'm just intoxicated by the Strats "boing" and "ping".

One thing I'll say for the Tele though: It does that Humbucker grind that I fell in love with from the get go SO well (now that I made CuNiFe pole pieces for the pups it;s even better and closer to y 73 Deluxe but hotter) and it's absolutely intoxicating to play slide on. When I feel like getting "heavy" and doing more distortion I grab the Tele.

But that's another thing I'm finding with the Srat: I'm playing more clean stuff now.

With my band imploding and me shifting gears in my sound (towards what I like more now thankfully) I'm finding the Strat to be my "go to" guitar these days. Funny what a couple weeks with a new lady friend can do aye.

Cheers and No Worries

Dave

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineboat View Post
No doubt. It's easier when something doesn't sound right to grab the other, and say yep, that's it. Or if one looks pitifully lonely, give it some attention!
It's like you;re in head mate... that's almost EXACTLY how I described it to my wife aye...

She was asking if I was gonna start forgetting about y Tele and in the same moment I found that I wanted some more crunch so I grabbed the Tele and started playing it... She looked at me and said "oh wow, the Tele still does some things that the Strat will never be able to do doesn't it???" To which I explained that yeah, "different paintbrushes for different strokes...". I guess I'm just fortunate enough to have found the right brushes for everything I need... Does that mean I'm done with my crippling GAS??? Not hardly, these are guitars, I don;t think I'll EVER be over GASing for "new" gear, but it sure is nice to know that I have my bases covered aye. At least I'm not fighting with a guitar I don't love trying to make it do things it doesn't want to do.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauqua View Post
She looked at me and said "oh wow, the Tele still does some things that the Strat will never be able to do doesn't it???" To which I explained that yeah, "different paintbrushes for different strokes...". I guess I'm just fortunate enough to have found the right brushes for everything I need...
I think you're just fortunate to have a wife who understands guitars.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote