84/85 Japanese Squier Strat - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 7th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

84/85 Japanese Squier Strat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/squire-***...12319f7&_uhb=1

I can't quite make out the serial number but I have asked what it is. Which are the good serial numbers and which are bad? Is it a good price? Are mid 80s MIJ Squiers any good? I've seen them on completed listing go from 150-400 but the cheap ones tend to be early 90s and the expensive ones tend to be mid 80s E serial numbers. It would be great if someone could tell me all of the serial numbers for the MIJ Squiers.

Thanks!

augustinasj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

This is a decent strat and reasonably priced, you won't easily find one for less. It is not all original but actually the pickups it has in it are better that the ones that would have been originally in it. It should have a serial starting with E and the truss adjustment is at the heel. Looks good to me and one of the better ones. Hope that helps. I have a few of these, they have some of the best strat necks around, really well made.
Kyri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I am a HUGE fan of the 80s MIJ Squier and Fenders. There is something not right about this guitar. I think there use to be a System 1 Tremolo on it, I believe the holes in the neck was where the locking screws were and also if you look at the Trem, it looks like it may have been routed for the System 1. Plus he replaced a couple of the pickups. If it was completely stock its worth about $400.00.

To replace the trem back to a system 1 your looking at about $200.00. For a set of MIJ pickups that were original to the guitar its probably somewhere around $50-100. He also says its Fender stamped tuners, if you can have him send you a pic that would be great as well. It should say Fender Japan on them. If they had been changed thats another $50 a set.

Obviously I do not know the guy but its not uncommon to see people pull off the expensive parts, sell them on eBay and then try and sell the guitar. Also, it could be one of the MIJ Bullets with a neck that came off the system 1. The Bullets were decent guitars, not like the newer ones. But that would mean its more of a Frankenstein...

So here is the question... As a guitar as a whole its not worth $325 that he is asking, parts however, if its a MIJ body it could be parted out and you would be able to make a buck on it. The MIJ Squiers were built in the same factories, using the same parts, by the same people as the Fenders so its all Fender spec and nice quality.

I will try and post some pics tomorrow of one of my MIJ Squiers of the same era to show you what I am talking about.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a mid '80's mij squire. Great guitar. I removed the pickups and wiring as a whole and stored them safely and put in Fralins with new pots wired how I like it. I can put the old in easy enough. The guitar plays great and does have the Series 1 tremolo which works better than the Fender Licensed Floyd Rose on my Strat Plus Deluxe. Wonderful necks. Have fun, Wayne
ZZB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have an 80's SQ and it is my favourite strat, edging out an SRV and my 80's American Standard. All stock, as I love the sound of it. Needs a good setup but I am almost afraid to do anything to it!
Bruxist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I had an E Series mid 80s Fender Strat that had The Kahler Bridge originally. That guitar neck looks like that but the body may be from another guitar. The guy before me took off the Kahler 2 point bridge and fitted a piece of wood into the cavity to block the tremelo and allow some additional wood to fit the standard fender 6 screw bridge onto, and repainted the body to hide the wood insert.

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Here are the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MIJ Squier Strat 1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	165849   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIJ Squier Strat bridge.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	165850   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIJ Squier Strat Nut.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	165851  

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustinasj View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/squire-***...12319f7&_uhb=1

I can't quite make out the serial number but I have asked what it is. Which are the good serial numbers and which are bad? Is it a good price? Are mid 80s MIJ Squiers any good? I've seen them on completed listing go from 150-400 but the cheap ones tend to be early 90s and the expensive ones tend to be mid 80s E serial numbers. It would be great if someone could tell me all of the serial numbers for the MIJ Squiers.

Thanks!
http://www.fender.com/support/articl...roduct-dating/

This has the serial numbers in it.

I can tell you from experience the SQ's, E's & A's are great guitars. I would love to get my hands on a JV...