Strat vintage tem post..not again. :( - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Strat vintage tem post..not again. :(

Yep,sorry. But it's different this time because I need to know,not some other random ethernet abuser.

I've just finished a strat partscaster and I'm in the process of fine tuning to suit my needs. All is good so far,with no major issues aside from the compromise that is the trem system.

Question.

Is it possible to have the bridge floating as per Fender specs and still be able to do all the little double stop,double bends,pedal steel stuff I like so much?

This is how things presently stand.

1. I can have the bridge floating enough to give me the intervals on the G,B and E strings A#,C# and F respectively. Tuning is really stable with this setting,I can lay the whammy bar flat on the body,or pull back to the fullest extent and it returns perfectly to tune. BUT,I can't play the double stops because once I bend one string the others go flat.

2. I can have the bridge down on the body just enough to allow me to bend a string without sending the others flat. BUT,only gentle use of the whammy bar is permitted,otherwise several strings are returned sharp,probably hanging in the nut. The nut seems good otherwise lots of behind the nut bending doesn't adversely impact on tuning.

I will live with situation 2 if I have to,because at least I can play the way I want to,but I don't like giving up on little thing that niggle.

Fix me up,you bad boys.

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've heard of folks using more springs to get some level of double stop with bend before the non-bent string goes flat.

There is a technique to push up a tad on the non bent string to get it back to tune. I use this on non aggressive stuff, but I have to mute the open strings with my palm because they do drop.

Some say those devices like tremstoppers or whatever (I think Hipshot Products markets one), but I've never tried them.

Oh, and nice strat.
Stratified is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratified View Post
I've heard of folks using more springs to get some level of double stop with bend before the non-bent string goes flat.

There is a technique to push up a tad on the non bent string to get it back to tune. I use this on non aggressive stuff, but I have to mute the open strings with my palm because they do drop.

Some say those devices like tremstoppers or whatever (I think Hipshot Products markets one), but I've never tried them.

Oh, and nice strat.
Thanks Stratified. The hipshot device sounds interesting,but like yourself I don't know anyone who has tried one.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
---------------------------
Doctor of Teleocity

It's a compromise. I float mine so I can get a full step up or down. For two string bendy stuff, I compensate with the heel of my right hand.
fezz parka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
It's a compromise. I float mine so I can get a full step up or down. For two string bendy stuff, I compensate with the heel of my right hand.
I do the same, it becomes second nature after a while. I find if I keep the trem flush against the body, I don't like the effect of the down-only vibrato. As for the trem-setter, I had one years ago and it makes the tremolo feel stiff, with a "detent" in the resting position, so it doesn't really allow for smooth up and down shimmery stuff.
electricjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
That was one of the things I tried,but thought to myself,this can't be right having to faff about. But if fezz has done it,then it can be done by mere mortals too....hopefully..

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjr View Post
I do the same, it becomes second nature after a while. I find if I keep the trem flush against the body, I don't like the effect of the down-only vibrato. As for the trem-setter, I had one years ago and it makes the tremolo feel stiff, with a "detent" in the resting position, so it doesn't really allow for smooth up and down shimmery stuff.
Yeah,I too prefer the trem to float,if I can adapt to play the way I want. Good info on the tremsetter. I always wonder about free lunches.

Old February 5th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skub View Post
That was one of the things I tried,but thought to myself,this can't be right having to faff about. But if fezz has done it,then it can be done by mere mortals too....hopefully..

Yeah,I too prefer the trem to float,if I can adapt to play the way I want. Good info on the tremsetter. I always wonder about free lunches.
I do the right hand palm thing too; as electricjr says, it becomes second nature and you do it without thinking, like muting strings or adjusting grip for chords etc. Also a good technique to have on a Strat when you want to bend more than a tone but the bridge is lifting and going against you - just keep the pressure on (or even push down a bit) and you can get there.

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
---------------------------
Doctor of Teleocity

Time to practice!
fezz parka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:

Time to practice!
You bad man,hell has a special place just for you.