NGD (almost) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Just put this on lay-by (lay away)... Never come close to bonding with a strat... But I picked this up today... And WOW... She sang to me. It's a deluxe roadhouse strat with Texas special pups.

I pick it up in 2 weeks... What can you guys tell me about it? *edit*.. particularly pups and setup if anyone has one I know NOTHING about strats.. Just teles and jags

Paid $769 from $1099 (cheap here in oz)

*edit* midnight ticked over, got enough pay... Picking it up in the morning :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2976825226.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	165084  

Last edited by furtherpale; February 5th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
furtherpale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Nice roadhouse with maple..you will like playability

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You know almost as much about strats as does someone who's played one for decades. It's a guitar. It has three pickups, a five-way switch, and a poorly-designed tremolo. I think they sound terrible, but some people think they sound great (and I'll admit that I think some people make them sound great).
harmonicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicon View Post
You know almost as much about strats as does someone who's played one for decades. It's a guitar. It has three pickups, a five-way switch, and a poorly-designed tremolo. I think they sound terrible, but some people think they sound great (and I'll admit that I think some people make them sound great).
lol,....i love the "quack".... the sound suits some of my stuff... once i get it home (lots of overtime last week, so hopefully tomorrow) ill see how it sondw with my gear, and see if im happy with the pups. they sounded great at the shop through a blues junior... this was all about the feel... though hopefully the stocks sound good

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Good luck. I hope you love it. A friend of mine has an American Standard that he makes sound incredible in his band. Whenever I play it I can't stand the sounds that come out of it no matter where the switch is set.

I'm convinced that about 95% of what makes a great guitar and a great guitar sound is just having one you personally love to play. Honestly, there's no great difference between any of them (well, maybe that 5%, assuming proper setup, etc.), but being comfortable and loving the guitar that you're playing will make a huge difference. It's something I'm still looking for... or I'm just looking to have enough money for a 1960 ES-330 T.
harmonicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

These are on the upper end of the MIM spectrum. Fit and finish is usually adequate, though not outstanding. The upgraded electronics are a nice touch.

Texas Specials are not for everybody. Some love 'em, some well, you know what they say about mileage, it can vary. I have liked them a LOT in some guitars, others, not so much. One thing for sure, your average strat can be a little thin sounding compared to Jags and Teles. The TX Spc pickups will remedy some of that. Some find them a little dark and muddy, but that's due to the added output and bass making them sound not so stratty as more traditional pickups. Raising them higher can get them brighter, but also ups the output, which you may or may not desire.

I say get her home, and take her for a good long test drive. If you like it, then great. Don't think you have to change because of what anybody else says. Over the years I have found that one of the quickest ways to "un-bond" with a guitar, is to go on a rampage trying to improve something that I already liked a lot.

These days, I just play a guitar. if I really like it, then I buy it. I never buy anything anymore with the idea that "This is cool, if I change the pickups, upgrade the hardware, and blah blah blah, it'll be awesome!" I outgrew that a long time ago.

My main complaint with the MIM stuff from the standard line (which this is part of) is that fret and nut work usually leaves something to be desired IMO. They will set up to Fender specs, but I expect more from my guitars. if you want a truly amazing setup, you may have to pay a little extra for a fret and nut dressing to get the guitar to reach it's max potential. That said, many folks are happy with them as-is. I'm pretty picky. Other shortcoming (IMO, YMMV) is that the Ping tuners used on the MIM guitars from this series are not that great. They aren't "bad" by any means, and are certainly useable, but they are not up to par with higher end hardware.

All in all, it's a good solid workhorse, with already upgraded electronics. Nice olympic white/tortoise combo too. Always a classy look for a strat.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This should be a sweet playing guitar. Spec's from Fender say it's born with 9's so the first thing I would do is put some 11's on there and then do the full set up

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

thanks gents, im off to pick her up now... they offer a full set up, but im going just going to play her first and see if there is anything that pops up i object to :)

ill update when shes home :)

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

If the pickups are to hot, screw 'em down lower. One of the best sounding strats I ever heard had TX Specials VERY low to the guard.....congrats!!
richey88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

She's home... Plays beautifully through my rig... The pups seem like extremely low output to me.. But I have rio grande pups in the tele, and jb and p90 in the jag.. I'll borrow my mates strat with (some kind) of vintage pups in it after I've played with heights on this.

All she needed was a truss rod tighten, she's perfect. Highly recommended to anyone. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1383301632.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	165233  

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

HNGD, and thanks for the review. Sounds like a great guitar and the Texas Specials have a nice crunch to them; the best review I read compared them to a hit of espresso.

Crap, and there's no way I could swing another Strat past the wife (I have two, plus a baritone).
Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I had one exactly like it. Mine had a tinted neck that looked so nice. After getting her setup she played and sounded great! I traded it for a Hughes and Kettner 25th Anniversary tube amp. Now I'm selling that cuz I bought a Fender Bassman 59 RI LTD. I absolutely love the Bassman. Best amp I've ever owned.
Revman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I dropped the pups with about 2mm of the cover exposed past the pick guard... But raised the side on the low e string on the bridge pup another 2mm... (I can see why others wire it to the tone control... Won't have to now)... My favourite position is bridge + middle... It sounds A LOT better through the compressor... Much bigger difference between comp on/off than my other guitars. This is a 100% keeper. I'm going to swap to 10s (strings) when the nines go and see which I prefer.

Thanks for the replys! Time to start testing through all the pedals!