50s or 60s Strat dilemma - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

50s or 60s Strat dilemma

I'm in the market for a new Strat. Probably Fender CS, LSL or Suhr Classic.

Now I much prefer the looks of a 50s style Strat i.e. the ash body, maple f/b, and single ply pick guard just look more 'elegant' to me. However, the sounds I'm going for I associate more with the 60s Strat configuration.

I'm wondering, are they really that different sonically? If I go for a 56 or 57 will it do all the SRV, Hendrix types tones as well as a 60s Strat?

SaltyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Those tones can be achieved with most any Strat with the right amp and pedal combination.

I'd advise you go by what you like aesthetically and what feels better. A 60s is going to have a RW board and be thinner. A 50s will come with a U-shape wider and deeper maple board neck.

There will be tonal differences and wiring differences, but to get the tones you're looking for, you're gonna need a solid amp and pedal combination anyway.
Roadstar07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The rosewood board does certainly add a bit of warmth to the tone.

I have an old MIM strat which is based on a 60's model. I've swapped just about everything in it now so that it's almost a custom guitar built to my own specs but, in comparison to my Clapton strat with the maple neck, the big tonal difference to me is whar the rosewood board gives it.
Del Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'd try, if I were you, a 70 RI: ash body, maple or rosewood board, very light and incredible tone! I bought it instead of an Am Std (A/B)!
Vintage V-100 Gold Top
AlexEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

i can do anything a strat can do with my 50th amse strat...its maple and ash with cs54s. the tones u mention might even sound better through a 50s style strat.
Davo17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Even most 50's strats, if from the later 50's, would be alder and not ash. That said, I have had alder, ash, maple, and rosewood over the years and do not find that the woods make *that* much different in the tone. I almost believe that the weight of the body has more to do with the sound than the wood species.

Pickups certainly make a difference. I recently got an Eric Johnson strat and just love it as do many other strat afficionados. It is modeled after a '57 but they make a version with a maple board and one with bound rosewood. Body is alder and selected to be light. Pickup set is great and I love the other specs as well. (Mine is sunburst with the maple board.) Bodies are all '57 configuration with the deep belly cut, guard is single ply on the maple board and 3-ply with the rosewood. (I sure don't need a spare, but I would love one with the rosewood board too--the binding is pretty unique among strats.)

I would choose the EJ over almost any CS strat I have played because of the neck shape--and it is done in lacquer, etc. (It is about the most expensive non-CS Fender guitar there is and is appointed really well.)

Good luck with whatever you choose,
George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Eric Johnson Strat has a 12" radius fretboard.

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I recently chose a 62 Hot Rod Strat, fat rosewood board neck with 9.5" radius and med jumbos.
73Fender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Go with the look and feel you prefer. Worst comes to worst, you can slap brighter pickups in your 60's Strat or darker pickups in your 50's Strat.

Also keep in mind that both Hendrix and SRV played maple board Strats during their careers. Not sure with Hendrix but SRV played both "Lenny" and "Riviera Paradise" on a maple board Strat, actually nicknamed "Lenny."

Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote