Impulse buy- Hilton Valentine's Tokai Goldstar - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Impulse buy- Hilton Valentine's Tokai Goldstar

Alright, I dun it again. It's dangerous to search Ebay under simply "guitar" and go by items ending soonest (or newly listed), 'cause you're likely to find something good. I pulled the trigger on this '84 Tokai Goldstar strat, purchased new, played and sold by The Animals' original guitarist, Hilton Valentine. It's all original, including tremolo arm except for USA Fender RI pickups, but the original grey bottom E stamped pickups are included in the auction. $720 shipped may be a bit high (is it?)- but it seems the ones coming from overseas tend to come in around that with the shipping costs. It looks like there's some typical fretwear in the first few frets, but the pic was taken with a bright flash, so i'm being (perhaps overly) optimistic and thinking they may look more pronounced than they are. I've found numerous pics of Hilton playing this guitar, I'm not sure what if any value this adds, but I've saved a few just for the sake of documentation. Unfortunately, the South Park "chef" sticker is one of the most obvious identifying characters (I'll be removing it). I've already corresponded with him and he seems like a good guy, the usual well mannered if slightly absent minded aging British rocker. He had the shipping label printed up late last night, it's on its way already (from one state over). I've got an excellent 1990 Fender Japan 54 RI with a V neck, I'll see how this compares (I'm hoping for some kind of "wow" difference, so I don't feel like I made a dumb purchase). What 'yall thinks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HILTON_VALENTINE_SLIDEAsepia.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	163731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 9.34.52 PM.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	163732   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16VHJGYE9nooiLRlBQu(rvGvRQ~~60_57.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	163733  

electricjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Seriously awesome. I've always planned to have a band named "The Hilton Valentines".
eichaan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

That is a great band name. There is/was a band called the Verlaines, which got their name from Tom Verlaine of Television (who actually came up with that name as a nod to poet Paul Verlaine). Anyways, this strat has probably been in some cool company over the years.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 28th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I used a maple neck Tokai to audition a Princeton Reverb years ago. It was the guitar that made me appreciate a V-neck. My current Strat is an '85 Tokai w/CS '69s and is only second to the '65 I sold when the prices skyrocketed. I've liked everyone I've ever played, I think you will be very happy.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

That's encouraging to hear, Dog Fart (that's fun to write)- I wonder if this one will be a V neck as well- I'm happy as long as it's got some heft to it. I'm definitely going to post pics and first impressions, hopefully in a day or two.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Leave the sticker on.

Old January 29th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Nice guitar. A fan of Hilton Valentine. Always liked his work in the Animals.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
bo
Friend of Leo's

Good guitar from a famous player. What's not to like? I have a '84 TST-56 with Fralin Vintage Hots and a blend pot. I also eventually added a graphite nut, big trem block, and vintage style locking tuners when I got it refretted. I haven't found a Fender I like better. If you remove the Chef sticker who's gonna cook the Salisbury Steak?
bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Awesome! A great provenance and a great vintage instrument to boot.

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Interesting; HV had one of the first guitar web sites I remember visiting, probably some time in the late 90's , I concur that the "Chef" sticker MUST stay... :-)
Warm Gums is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

thumbpick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Sweet guitar; hope it comes through for you. And I'd leave the sticker on: it's the basis for one hell of a story!
Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You can't go wrong with a Goldstar. I used to have one. Looks like a nice guitar to have.

Old January 31st, 2013, 02:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Well guys, I got the guitar, and at first I didn't think it was all that spectacular when compared to my '89 Fender MIJ 54 RI, but after I set it up to my liking and did some more side by side through my SFPR, the Tokai's got that sweetness and dynamic response that's just not quite there in the Fender. The V neck is nearly identical to the Fender, but just a tad deeper. Now, don't jump all over me guys, but I did remove the sticker- but I peeled it off carefully and all the glue is intact (it's a vinyl sticker), I placed it on some tracing paper (tested it to see that I could still remove it with no problems) and I stored it in a ziploc sandwich baggie. Hilton also sent me a news clipping with a photo of him playing the guitar, as well as an autographed "Skiffledog" pick. And just for extra safe measure I took a photo of the shipping label, which was from a P.O. box address in his name to my current address. But I am digging the guitar, it sounds woody, chimey, quacky, etc- instantly recogniseable classic strat sound. The frets are fairly low with a few divots here and there, I may consider a fret job if I commit to the guitar. And by the way- I put the original grey bottom E stamped pickups in my 54ri and they're pretty damn amazing. So here's a pic-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130418.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	164209  

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Nice!! Would love to hear it. Got clips?
richey88 is offline   Reply With Quote