'95 MIM Strat - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 15th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

'95 MIM Strat

I went to a pawn shop on sunday with my dad looking for some MIM strats and I saw this '95 MIM Standard Strat in black in great condition didn't see an visible damage but it didn't have a case. But this strat was listed for $499!!!! :o can you believe that!! Anyways the guy said that it was 40% off so it would come out to $324 which I think is still high. I'm planning on going back tomorrow and negotiating for a lower price because I do really want this strat so i could mod it rather than buy a new one for $499 and still having to put more money into it (i love to mod). If I do end up buying this strat not at the price listed but hopefully around $200 do you think I will have to swap the tremolo and springs. I am planning on swapping the neck and getting a robert cray one off eBay and also getting some different pups.

mozzarate54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think you have no shot at getting the pawn shop down to $200 for the guitar. So, since you're planning on buying a replacement neck anyway, I would get a used MIM body off EBay while you're at it and build your partscaster from scratch. After all, based on your plans, the body is about the only thing you'll be saving from this pawnshop find.
tcadam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Keep looking. Last summer I scored a 2002 MIM Strat for $100 on Craigslist.
zooyuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 15th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I got my '95 MIM Standard Strat off CL a couple years ago for $250. The pickups had been replaced with Custom Shop Texas Specials. The price also included the original pickups and a gigbag. I haven't changed anything on it and gig it all the time. It's a great guitar.

Personally, I don't get buying a guitar just to swap out the trem, springs, pickups and neck. What, so you're buying just for the body?

Old January 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcadam View Post
I think you have no shot at getting the pawn shop down to $200 for the guitar. So, since you're planning on buying a replacement neck anyway, I would get a used MIM body off EBay while you're at it and build your partscaster from scratch. After all, based on your plans, the body is about the only thing you'll be saving from this pawnshop find.
I agree. And going in again might suggest that you're desperate, which is not good for negotiating. Keep looking. They know that guitar is not worth that much, they are waiting for a sucker. JMO
electric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcadam View Post
I have to make mine a second agreement to this. But 40% off of $499 would make it $299 not $324 and $300 for a mid '90s Strat in the condition you say this one is in isn't a bad price. Mid '90s MIM models are nice guitars. I have '95 Tele that I converted to a Nashville and it's a sweet guitar.

The fact that there's no case of even a gig bag might be cause for bargaining a little more. I don't think you'll get it for even close to $200 but I guess you can always make an offer and see if he counters it.
CS '51 Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; Thinline/P90s; Nashville/Onamacs; CVC/Keystones; Lenti Esquire/ Nashville Lion; Taylor 414ce; Breedlove C250ce; Cube 40xl; Blues Cube 60/"CRex"; Bugera v5/"Chemp"; CV JBass/Wilde J45s; CV PBass/Wilde P46; tc BG250 Bass Combo.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Ok thanks guy ill keep looking then.
mozzarate54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

[QUOTE=soulman969;4733674]... $300 for a mid '90s Strat in the condition you say this one is in isn't a bad price. Mid '90s MIM models are nice guitars.[QUOTE]

No, don't buy it!

Now, where did you say this pawn shop is? How late are they open?

Old January 15th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Rip off, don't buy it.
enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterprise View Post
Rip off, don't buy it.
Mid-90's MIM Strats are some of the best Fenders ever made, some with Bill Lawrence (made for Fender) pickups. In good shape, with original pups, they usually go for $250 to $350. $300 is a fair price, assuming the guitar doesn't need any massive set-up or other work.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeri View Post
Mid-90's MIM Strats are some of the best Fenders ever made, some with Bill Lawrence (made for Fender) pickups. In good shape, with original pups, they usually go for $250 to $350. $300 is a fair price, assuming the guitar doesn't need any massive set-up or other work.
I've never heard this. What is it about the mid 90s strats that make them some of the best? Neck fit, neck build, or electonics?

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm curious too. I have a 94 right now and a mid 2000s and the latter is better in every way except that I like vintage frets better and the 94 now has a hot rod red nitro paint job on it (but that was done over the last month in my cellar).

I know Bill designed the N3's used in today's MIA Deluxes.....and I know that mid 90's necks tend to be awesome....
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Still wondering what's the word on the 90's strats. You always hear the opposite, that the newer ones are better, at least the hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post

I know Bill designed the N3's used in today's MIA Deluxes.....and I know that mid 90's necks tend to be awesome....
I agree, I love the neck on my RW '92. But I always thought was bc I cut my teeth on that neck.

Old June 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

94 MIM

Although not generally a fan of MIM Fenders (other than the Roadworns), I picked up a 94 TSB w/ Fender Thermometer case for around $200 and really like the guitar. Hated the pickups and tuners, which I replaced with DiMarzio True Velvets and Wilkinson Vintage-style tuners. The guitar, though is a pleasure to play. The neck is unusually broad in its feel: I have not encountered another MIM like it. I do know it was made during the time of the fire/rebuild in Ensenada. Not sure if that is significant. The body obviously has the wood veneer top, as there is no seam. All in all, it's a very nice Strat (now) w/ case, for a total investment of around $330.

Researching these things is enough to give a guy a headache. So many opinions and tons of hype/misinformation. All I can say is that I like this guitar, now;) As with many instruments, they must be chosen on a case by case basis, evaluating their potential, whether stock or as a mod platform. There are certainly plenty to select from.

In terms of price, I wouldn't be inclined to pay more than $250 for one. As stated, they are quite plentiful.
harleysr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

ya, great necks on those early ones.

250-300 tops

Someone ALWAYS gets some steal of a deal here and there but if you are like me, you are never the guy that gets those. Could wait forever to be that guy.

250-300 is more common for any used STANDARD Strat of Tele.
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm a total MIM strat guy and I wouldn't touch that thing at the price they've got it unless you open it up and find some high dollar pickups, look again and find nice locking tuners and see that the chincy, small block has been replaced with at least a larger zinc block.

I have 2 mid 90's mim's right now and they are not the cream of the Fender MIM crop, in my opinion. Now, I will admit that SOME of the necks are unbelievable. My 2 are a 94 Squier series, which has one of the nicest necks around. The other is a 96 MIM standard that has a completely "meh" neck. I'd say below average. I'm a big fan of vintage frets and both of these have them. I have later MIMs as well (post 2000) and quality goes up as the years get more recent. Exceptions are special and signature models. One of mine is a 2000 Powerhouse and the neck is exceptional on that.

Ok....enough of my long rambling. I'd offer them $200 tops. That's all it's worth unless there's some wizz bang uber rare something about it.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The best Tele I ever owned was a '95 MIM that had Texas Specials installed when I bought it. But I also only paid $200 for it.

I've heard that at that time the necks were American made because the Mexican factory hadn't gotten up to speed on making their own yet.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I picked up an 06 MiM Strat a little while back for $288. Looked like it just came out of the box...... Shop around, there's deals out there.
lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote