P90 Strat? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 27th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

P90 Strat?

I've been thinking about building a Strat with P90s for about a year. Then I saw
that Fender has a new model Strat with that configuration. Its called the
Stratosonic and it looks very interesting. Chambered mahogany body!
Anyone know anything about these? (are they out yet?) How do they sound?
Thanks for any info. Mac

macc213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I haven't tried or seen the Fender Stratosonic but have played a reverend slingshot, which would have a lot in common with what you're describing. IMHO the Slingshot is a great sounding guitar, especially for blues. With the volume backed off you get a nice fat strat tone, turn it up and its somewhere between a bucker and the fat strat: think with lots of harmonics, mid heavy but with nice presence. I would think a chambered mahogany strat would be be a little warmer and less bright that the Slingshot.

KBR has set up some strats with P94s (HB Sized P-90s) He'll probably chime in here if hes around.
jordanl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Do these P94's sound very different from regular P90's ? I consider to replace the Schaller-humbuckers in my Heritage with either P94's or HD Z90's

Roel
http://www.telecastergallery.com
Roel from Holland is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 31st, 2003, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
KBR
Tele-Holic

P90 Strat

8)

I have had a few P90 & P94 Strats, They have that awesome Fat P90 sound, with some nice mids and breakup. If you want that sound, (It is Cool, IMHO)
I say go for it. The Neck and Pups and Body, all 3 are important in making a Great Axe.

KBR

Old April 1st, 2003, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

These newest Strats pickups that look like P90's are very thin and brittle sounding. They dont sound like P90's at all. Sounds like they tried to make the P90's sound like a Strat pickup and they messed them all up.

I like P90's especially in something like a Les Paul Jr Leslie West tone is heaven.

But to me anyway these newest Fenders with the fake P90's are horrid to say the least.
Mark Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2003, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Re: P90 Strat?

I used to own this guitar
It has a basswood body

http://www.abalonevintage.com/Artists.Tabor.Keaggy.jpg

It sounded great with a tweed deluxe, but the basswood was too dark for some amps.
I think the same guitar would sound killer with a light swamp ash body

BTW how do you post pics using the "Img" tags?[/url]
Jim Sams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2003, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

How do you get the P90's to fit in the neck position.

I've been wanting to do this to my strat with a Lollar P90, but the neck position which is the only pickup I ever use would be too wide to place the P90 in and not have it exceed the width of the pickgaurd. My other option is the HD Z-90 which I have a pickgaurd that is routed for a neck humbucker and it would drop in. I personally love P90's.......fat sound and none of the mud that you get with humbuckers. I've got a CC pickup in my telecaster that is esseintially a HiFi P90 and it's the best pup that I've ever play in my life.
taximan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Charlie Christian

Tell us more about the Lollar CC pup
Jim Sams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2003, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

...yeah Friday night I went to see Debbie Davies play, if your familiar with her you know she usually plays a P-90
equipped Strat. She definetely gets a "thick funky" tone out of it. Her blue Strat has a P-90 in the bridge pos., double blade(Barden?)mid.,humbucker/neck pos.. Thumbs up to the Leslie West-LP Junior tone.:-)
Jerry

Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have a hardtail Parts-o-caster Strat. It has a tapped humbucker at the bridge and a P-90 at the neck. I can get more sounds out of it then any other guitar I own. I like neck P-90's but I like 'buckers better for the bridge.
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Old Strat with Gibson P94's - God is chucking lightning bolts at me for this one.

A friend of mine told me about these posts here - and I felt obliged to pop in & say hello. I am a long time Strat & Tele guy. That being said, I have always yearned for a more "Duane Allman" sound to be available, as well as the more well known variants of the Strat sound achieved by many pickup configs on the market. I have tried so much Seymour Duncan gear that they sent me stock certificates (not really), I have had Fralin, Kinman and a host of other "boutique" pickups in rotation for years - then, about two months ago I got the idea to take my old #1 Frankenstrat (partsocaster) on a wild ride to (drum roll) "Gibsonland". After dodging the threatening phone calls for about a month, I was able to leave my house and find the elusive P94 pickups from Gibson. These are not P90's, but rather, a full sized humbucker with a P90 style (but oversized) bobbin, enamel wire, and Alnico 5 magnets, overwound just a tad, due to the size increase. The result is (I think) magical. The trebles are almost Strat-like, but smack heavily of Tele - but the bass is pure nirvana (not the kids from Seattle). The low end has MUCH more punch, with the best bass definition I have ever heard. The result is a "singing" distortion with clear, bell-like note quality - no mud, and the cleaner end of the spectrum yields twang worthy of Duane Eddy, with the unmistakable "quack factor" thrown in the mix (not sure how much the strat comes into play over the pickups there). In the neck position, I can go from Hendrix to Duane Allman with a slight turn of the volume knob. In the bridge position, you can "quack it up" Nashville style clean, or Danny Gatton away with a bit of overdrive. In the middle postion, you have Tele-Mania. With some wrist/palm technique, you can make all the trademark Tele noises here, and a few more to boot! This is just amazing to me - it is literally the perfect guitar, in my opinion. All I can say is if anyone wishes to have a go at this - I highly recommend it. Now, string spacing is a small issue which must be addressed with a new bridge (retro fit Wilkinson VS50 is perfect) with "F" spacing. A GraphTech pre cut Strat nut (TremNut) is perfect for the spacing on the top, but must be shaved for the proper height and radius - about 30 minutes work. The other consideration is that the pickups are "Gibson Deep", and bottom out in a a strat. Don't modify the guitar - just cut the pickup mounting legs off right at the side of each pickup, and again at the first right angle bend past the screw holes. Then solder (silver solder worked very well) the tabs directly to the pickup, and you have a Seymour Duncan mounting setup for humbuckers (tabs stick out directly from the pickup sides, not bent down in the Gibson "L" shape) that leaves plenty of wiggle room. I like using a 1MegOhm volume pot, it lets these things sustain for days, and makes them even more sensitive to picking technique to control the break from clean to overdriven. Wendy down at WD Music in Florida will make up a dandy custom pickguard for this for about $50, which finishes the project. It is, in the end, simpler than it sounds - just have patience and allow about a week to get the stuff together before starting. Hope this is interesting to someone besides me - it was the most fun I have had in a long time - best to all - keep pickin'.

For anyone interested in seeing this:

http://www.northmountaindigital.com/P94/P94-Strat.jpg

Last edited by Frankenstrat; May 21st, 2008 at 10:11 AM.
Frankenstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There's a P-90 Strat at Rondo for cheap ($120).

If I were doing it, I'd try the Strat-sized P-90s from BG Pickups in a standard pickguard (scroll down the page).

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Interesting...

Learn something new every day -

Nice looking pickups! I will have to experiment on an alternate pickguard with these. Thanks for the info. The reason I used the P94's is because I actually like the natural effect of physically larger coils in the P90 vain - they overdrive naturally, without having a "browner", overwound texture present in many aftermarket pickups I have tried. Also, these are wax potted and ground shielded in metal cases, making them virtually silent. I LOVE the look of this other fellows pickups though (BG) - and will absolutely be calling him to discuss this old guitar in the next few days. Thanks again for your insight - I always appreciate good info from good folks. Take care.
Frankenstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

P-94s ??

I was thinking about some Fralin P-90s for my basswood Schecter Strat.

Have you, or anyone for that matter, tried P-90s for a Strat??

My Schecter has a VS-50, so these would be a good fit I'd think, minimal fitting.

They are pricey little babies though...

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstrat View Post
I LOVE the look of this other fellows pickups though (BG) - and will absolutely be calling him to discuss this old guitar in the next few days.
I came this close [holds thumb and index finger 1/2-inch apart] to getting the S-90s when I was building my Strat earlier this year. It's my only Strat, so I figured I'd start with classic, vintage-style pickups. Later on, I may build a second pickguard that I can swap out with the S-90s (and 500k pots).

I'm intrigued by his tele bridge-sized P-90.

Good luck, let us know where you end up.

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

In my research on the same topic, only one maker has F-spaced bobbins to suit a fender string spacing. Otherwise, the E strings are a tad wide. Not sure how much difference it makes but John Moore will wind it anyway you like... I'll prob go this route for my future strat/ES-5 hybrid

No affiliation etc but his website is http://www.tonefordays.com
tjalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

P90 strats rock ... nothin' like a swamp ash body and long scale to make them come alive.

I'll put in a plug for Peter Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars. His HB-sized P90s are awsome, and he will make them F-spaced if you ask. These pole pieces could not have lined up more perfectly:

Al Nico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nico View Post
P90 strats rock ... nothin' like a swamp ash body and long scale to make them come alive.

I'll put in a plug for Peter Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars. His HB-sized P90s are awsome, and he will make them F-spaced if you ask. These pole pieces could not have lined up more perfectly:

Between that bridge and the PUPS, I'd love to hear this one.
Is the bridge home made?

Robt

Old May 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No, it's one of those brass Custom Shop Parts "Drop Top" conversion bridges, that I drilled out for 3 saddles. It's a top loader, and I've since changed out the saddles for steel ones.
Al Nico is offline   Reply With Quote