Any experience with Mike Gee kustoms - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Any experience with Mike Gee kustoms

Does anybody have any experience with these guitars. Theyre pretty cheap, but I keep thinking of the old adage "you get what you pay for" . Then I think of the Squire CV guitars and thought that this may be similar and be a great deal for the money.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Gee-Kus...ht_25516wt_922

djphelan01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've been following this guy for a bit and too am curious about his guitars. He does have a few you tube vids of some of his gits. So far from what I've gathered, which I could be completely wrong but it seems he builds these "customs" with parts he finds at pawn shops and maybe online and refinishes or relics them for that custom look.
Jericho75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I bought a 335 copy made by Mike a few months ago, the black one with a P90 in the bridge. It is built very well and Mike is a nice guy if you ever need to talk with him about guitars - I just called him yesterday with a wiring question and he was very helpful. His pickups are of very good quality, tons better than an Epiphone or anything else in this price range. The action wasn't as low as I know some players fancy it out of the box but I still play it as it came and it suits me very well. I will definitely be installing some Wilkinson tuners though, because the stock ones are typical no-name Chinese and not dependable. I'll be honest in that I bought this guitar because of the name on the headstock and how it looked and I do not regret my purchase at all.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 25th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I just bought a used reliced Mike Gee Kustoms Tele. It has a faded and distressed butterscotch body and a beautifully reliced neck, with the wear showing perfectly in the right areas where a player would wear on it. It has six individual bridge saddles, but I could put three brass saddles on it. The hardware looks good and authentic, and the pickups and electronics sound great...at least as good as the Fender Custom Shop tele pickups that I have on one of my tele's! This guitar plays, intonates, and sounds killer,, plugged in and unplugged. Sounds great clean, which I prefer most of the time, and it has that great "Tele SPANK!" Sounds great with a little "Sparkle Drive," too! Plays fast and comfortable. It is light, and would be easy to play a 4 or 5 set night with no sweat. I would prefer this guitar over a lot of the good older Fender Tele's that I've played ... and owned. The Kelton Swade guitars play and sound better than this guitar, and all of the Fenders that I've owned / played. But, Kelton's guitars are more expensive than the Mike Gee Kustoms by about $3100. a guitar. Some of the Fender Custom Shop stuff is even more expensive than that, but given my choices...at least with this particular Mike Gee Tele; it would be my "go to" guitar over any of the Fenders. SERIOUSLY! If you are a serious player, and have the money....BUY A KELTON SWADE...you won't regret it! If you don't have the money to do that, but you want a good relic job, and great quality, sound, and utility; buy yourself a Mike Gee Kustom! ...Doc.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.........Then; there's the negative side."....................The Late Dr. HUNTER S. THOMPSON.
Doc Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote