Strat wiring mod, 2 volumes, 1 tone - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Guitar Pickups

Forum Jump

Old November 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Strat wiring mod, 2 volumes, 1 tone

Hey folks,

I worked up a wiring mod for a strat . this way one volume works the neck and middle pickups. the other works the bridge. the tone is a master tone. This does have the Les Paul thing where if either volume is turned all the way down, then there is no output from either. The schematic just shows the hot wires. grounds go to the bottom of the pots and all pots are grounded together.

Enjoy,

Matt

No-Name is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I will likely revise this a bit. I think by running the lines from the switch to the middle tab of the volume pots, and have the output from the other tab, i can keep the output independent. will let you know.

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

This is a revised schematic for independent volume controls. I still only show the hot wires. Ground wires are grounded to the bottom of the pots and all pots are grounded together.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Handy!
misterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Going off your idea....what could you do in that middle position if only 2 pickups are configured? I have a project strat that has a filtertron and a single coil configured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring options 1_sm.jpg
Views:	4364
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	103014  

Last edited by billmag; November 24th, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
billmag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Name View Post
This is a revised schematic for independent volume controls. I still only show the hot wires. Ground wires are grounded to the bottom of the pots and all pots are grounded together.

What about this one? http://diystrat.blogspot.it/2014/11/...lumes-and.html

I really can't understand why both wiring diagrams should work in the same way...

The only differences I can see are:
1. the neck+middle pot is connected to the wrong pins in your scheme; this is obviously your mistake;
2. the 0 pin in the pickups side is connected to the other 0 pin in your scheme but in the other there is a different configuration... why??

Here a pic to compare it to yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Immagine.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	305393  
sansa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

|||

Old October 17th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Name View Post
also the tone lug connected to the switch is the wrong one... you have to connect it to the opposite lug

Old October 21st, 2015, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Personally I'd go for one volume for mid and then one for neck and bridge then you can do different blending in position 4 as well as position 2.
Partscaster: USACG neck, BK humbucker, Fender CS tele+strat single coils, Mex strat trem, custom body shape, high quality electronics and a tonne of pickup configurations. (series/parallel, in/out of phase, any pickup configuration)
Asmith is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith View Post
Personally I'd go for one volume for mid and then one for neck and bridge then you can do different blending in position 4 as well as position 2.
that's a great idea. I can do the killing effect easily. Thanks mate!

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I would use one side of the switch to route the neck/middle to their volume pot input

Hard-wire the bridge pickup to the other volume pot input

And use the other side of the switch to select between the outputs of the two pots.

Your diagram sends both pickups through both volume pots in parallel in the bridge/middle position. You can't get a custom blend of the two pickups this way.

btw, this would require wiring the tone control input from the jack, not the volume pots inputs.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi again I had to do a new wiring diagram for 1 volume (neck and bridge), 1 volume (middle) and a master tone:
2 volume 1 tone strat by ashleyjsmith1996, on Flickr
Your wiring diagram in the position middle and bridge sends the signal from both pickups as one through two volume pots in parallel. So you don't actually blend just normal volume where you need both volume knobs all the way off to get no volume and when you have at least on on full, the full signal will get through that one pot regardless of the position of the other pot so you wouldn't actually get any blending in any positions. My diagram keeps the signals from the pickups separate before they reach their designated volume pot and then combines the signals once they passed through them, then through the tone pot and then to the output. It's also a bit more tidy/easy to wire especially around the switch.
Partscaster: USACG neck, BK humbucker, Fender CS tele+strat single coils, Mex strat trem, custom body shape, high quality electronics and a tonne of pickup configurations. (series/parallel, in/out of phase, any pickup configuration)

Old October 24th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Hi again I had to do a new wiring diagram for 1 volume (neck and bridge), 1 volume (middle) and a master tone
You guys are great!

Old October 24th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
I would use one side of the switch to route the neck/middle to their volume pot input

Hard-wire the bridge pickup to the other volume pot input

And use the other side of the switch to select between the outputs of the two pots.

Your diagram sends both pickups through both volume pots in parallel in the bridge/middle position. You can't get a custom blend of the two pickups this way.

btw, this would require wiring the tone control input from the jack, not the volume pots inputs.
Quote:
Hi again I had to do a new wiring diagram for 1 volume (neck and bridge), 1 volume (middle) and a master tone
Can you tell me if I can do your type of diagram with this kind of swich? This has just one "common pin" (0 pin)...
I can do the diagram posted by "No-Name" because the "common pins" are connected. Having only one "common pin" is exactly the same as having two pins connected...

Thanks very much again!
Attached Images

Old October 24th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansa View Post
Can you tell me if I can do your type of diagram with this kind of swich? This has just one "common pin" (0 pin)...
I can do the diagram posted by "No-Name" because the "common pins" are connected. Having only one "common pin" is exactly the same as having two pins connected...

Thanks very much again!
The wiring I was talking about would require two separate commons.

Old October 24th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Same with my wiring diagram you need to keep the pu signals separate before they reach the volume pots. The only way you could get something similar this wiring using that switch would be using 3 pots for individual volumes but then you loosing the tone control which I assume is a no. But since each pickup now has an individual volume (no pickup selector is required) you could wire the 5 way to be a tone switch so you'd wire different caps off the lugs on one side to ground but because of how the 5 way works position 2 and 4 would give a bigger treble cut but you could get used to it but caps aren't cheap unless you're buying from china and getting economy delivery and then you have to do loads of experimenting to see what you like best. You do get the options for all pickups on and neck and bridge whit blending options. I think your best option, if you still want the original idea, is to get a new switch. You can find them at different prices and qualities, I don't think there is anything wrong with import switches that you can get for 2$ plus p&p they work fine on squiers but if I can get one I'll get an oak grigsby.

Old October 25th, 2015, 04:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
The wiring I was talking about would require two separate commons.
Quote:
Same with my wiring diagram you need to keep the pu signals separate before they reach the volume pots. The only way you could get something similar this wiring using that switch would be using 3 pots for individual volumes but then you loosing the tone control which I assume is a no. But since each pickup now has an individual volume (no pickup selector is required) you could wire the 5 way to be a tone switch so you'd wire different caps off the lugs on one side to ground but because of how the 5 way works position 2 and 4 would give a bigger treble cut but you could get used to it but caps aren't cheap unless you're buying from china and getting economy delivery and then you have to do loads of experimenting to see what you like best. You do get the options for all pickups on and neck and bridge whit blending options. I think your best option, if you still want the original idea, is to get a new switch. You can find them at different prices and qualities, I don't think there is anything wrong with import switches that you can get for 2$ plus p&p they work fine on squiers but if I can get one I'll get an oak grigsby.
Ok sure I'll take a new switch but since I would have a good switch I'd have to wait for a long period to order one from the US. Mean while I'm using the old squier one and that's why I asked. Thanks so much for your help guys!

Last edited by sansa; October 25th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.

Old October 25th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Alright, it is a funny switch having a singular common lug a two pole switch.