Jeff Beck's Strat - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Jeff Beck's Strat

Guys, quick question. Long time ago Fender made some Strats for Beck in grafitti yellow. But these days he plays them with a more cream color. Does anyone know the name of the color of the Strats he's been playing lately? Thanks.

BiggerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

olympic white

Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

In the lower of the two photos above, that is Olympic White? Looks like a very pale creamy yellow.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

It looks that way because of the contrast with the pickguard. It is a creamy white.

And I believe it's just the one strat he always plays...and it isn't one of the signature guitars. He always gets into one guitar and plays it into the ground.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

bcarter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Anyone know how long JB has been playing w/o a pick? Or has he always?

Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoogeSurfer View Post
Anyone know how long JB has been playing w/o a pick? Or has he always?
From a vaguely remembered interview, I think it was in the 80s sometime. He used a pick before that, sometimes palming it and fingerpicking as many of us do. Apparently he dropped or lost the pick one night and continued just with his fingers and not only realised that he could but got 'into' it.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The no-pick style does open up the guitar's range, but I play in a cover band, which means I have to spend a lot of time strumming. Haven't found a better way to do that yet than with a pick ... maybe my nails is jes' too short.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Interesting video on JB's guitars, thanks for that bcarter.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoogeSurfer View Post
The no-pick style does open up the guitar's range, but I play in a cover band, which means I have to spend a lot of time strumming. Haven't found a better way to do that yet than with a pick ... maybe my nails is jes' too short.
I think that, like JB, you need to use the guitar's volume and tone controls a lot more if you're going to fingerpick and cover a wide range of styles. 'Use' the amp more.

I also find it hard to conventionally strum, and also to 'dig in' for leads, with just the fingers.

Covering Miserlou is right out...

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

According to a book I read about him, "Crazy Fingers", he had an accident in his car shop where he hurt his thumb badly and couldnt hold a pick for awhile... so he started doing what he does know, he uses the side of his thumb and his other fingers to play.

For awhile I was using a thumbpick, and there were things I just couldnt do as well. Strumming wanst one of them, I could sort of get away with that for limited amounts of time, by using my index finger back and forth quickly.. but the chuckberry style of chugging chords and adding the pinky on and off.. I couldnt make that sound right at all

but then again, I'm not Beck.
Wrong-Note Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
I think that, like JB, you need to use the guitar's volume and tone controls a lot more if you're going to fingerpick and cover a wide range of styles. 'Use' the amp more.

I also find it hard to conventionally strum, and also to 'dig in' for leads, with just the fingers.

Covering Miserlou is right out...
Not saying you're wrong for you but for me this is completely backwards. I have a lot more volume and tone control in my fingers than in my pick. And as far as digging in, for my amp it doesn't matter whether I use pick or fingers. It rocks.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I was looking at the available colors for Strats on the Fender web site. They have a color called Vintage White which is more like that creamy yellow. The Schmengy Malmsteam Strat is that color.

I also looked at those youtube vids of Jeff's guitars and the guy was saying that they are all Frankenstrats with necks and bodies being swapped frequently. He also said that once Jeff finds one he likes, he basically plays it to destruction.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The more I learn about Jeff Beck, the more I like Jeff Beck.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerJohn View Post
I also looked at those youtube vids of Jeff's guitars and the guy was saying that they are all Frankenstrats with necks and bodies being swapped frequently. He also said that once Jeff finds one he likes, he basically plays it to destruction.
yeah, somewhere I think his road manager says, Beck has the one strat he likes a lot and plays every show with it, and then theres a virtually identical one that is kept backstage, hotel room, etc etc... and that theres really only two main guitars used on the tour.

that being said, for the last Atlanta show, he dragged out his old black les paul to do a couple of les paul numbers with Imelda May....
Wrong-Note Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Old October 4th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

While I know that the CS strat is no exact replica of what he mostly uses himself, it is the most connected strat I ever have had...and I have had a sea of strats in my life throughout the years....

Jeff is amazing live.....the sheer power that man radiates is just crazy....makes you laugh, wonder, cry, hope to see him a few times more!!