Please help me to identify - fake Fender or not,thnks!! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Please help me to identify - fake Fender or not,thnks!!

hello....i love playing guitar,and recently.my brother give me his fender stratocaster,and i just wanna know ,is this stratocaster is a fake or not

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...9082009993.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...9082009992.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...9082009991.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...9082009990.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...9082009989.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...9082009988.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...9082009987.jpg

ps,he change the the pickguard from white to that color and that volume and 2 tone button

taxco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Neck is a real American Fender. Body is probably not Fender. Wrong bridge, neckplate compared to what should be on an American Fender from that year.
swingin guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

guitarman,could u show me the bridge and the neckplate for fender stratocaster in 1990 plsS???i couldnt find on google ,,,

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Old August 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Um, the strings are on backwards, they wrap around the post in the opposite direction...

WickedGTR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

well.....yea i know,some idiot (read:me)did that u know,,,,hahahhaa,but is this affect the sound??

@guitarman.,..thx alot man

Old August 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxco View Post
well.....yea i know,some idiot (read:me)did that u know,,,,hahahhaa,but is this affect the sound?
If you use the tremolo, it won't hold a tuning well with the strings reverse wound like that. Over time, the strings pulling off-center could cause uneven wear on the nut and eventually lead to string breakage problems. If you're not having tuning stability issues, just restring it the correct way next time you change strings.
JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGTR View Post
Um, the strings are on backwards, they wrap around the post in the opposite direction...

You're joking right?

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGTR View Post

You're joking, right?

www.telenator.com

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yes, they are on backwards compared to how most people would string it. But, this makes no real difference except that you are not getting a straight string pull through the nut anymore and the chances of a slight kink through a plastic nut would be a little higher. Then again, look at Les Pauls, V's, Explorers, Jacksons, Kramers, pretty much any acoustic guitar and so on....that is some serious angle string tension against the nut, yet they all still survive. If it works for you......Righty Tighty....Lefty Loosey is not always the way it works. If you want to put your low E string where your G string goes, do it. Everbody made a big deal about Jimi's upside down Strat, what's so bad about reverse wound strings? Maybe this is the way it was originally done a couple hundred years ago and when the instruments were brought to the Americas, a dislexic was the one who brought the only guitar on the boat and taught us all wrong. Hey, it could happen. LOL Just having fun, excuse my fun. But, it was good for me. I need a smoke after that.
Stratotwanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a few questions about this one. The serial would depict around 1999. The neck only has 21 frets, but has the regular fender tuners so I wouldn't think any kind of classic series, or vintage reissue. The bridge plate is an older style six screw like a MIM or vintage. The California series only had 21 frets, but the serial number has more letters at the beginning.(Something like MXN or something). So what model would this be? I noticed the small print at the far right of the head stock says "American Traditional" which I don't ever recall seeing. The neck polate is also black. Most American Fenders I've ver seen including the California or vintage series have some sort of marking on the neck plate. What model would this be, or did someone just try to replace the headstock decals on a MIM Strat?
randysmojo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The neck is from a 1990 Fender Stratocaster. (N9+ 5 digits) The American Traditional Series preceeded the California and Mexican instruments.

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratotwanger View Post
Yes, they are on backwards compared to how most people would string it. But, this makes no real difference except that you are not getting a straight string pull through the nut anymore and the chances of a slight kink through a plastic nut would be a little higher. Then again, look at Les Pauls, V's, Explorers, Jacksons, Kramers, pretty much any acoustic guitar and so on....that is some serious angle string tension against the nut, yet they all still survive. If it works for you......Righty Tighty....Lefty Loosey is not always the way it works. If you want to put your low E string where your G string goes, do it. Everbody made a big deal about Jimi's upside down Strat, what's so bad about reverse wound strings? Maybe this is the way it was originally done a couple hundred years ago and when the instruments were brought to the Americas, a dislexic was the one who brought the only guitar on the boat and taught us all wrong. Hey, it could happen. LOL Just having fun, excuse my fun. But, it was good for me. I need a smoke after that.
So, let me make sure I understand this correctly. You're saying that the strings as depicted in the photo above, are on backwards? I really don't mean to belabor this point but, as a guitar builder, I go to great lengths when laying out a peg head to ensure that the holes are in the right places so the strings line up with the tuners and have the minimal amount of skew to them. I do realize there may be a few exceptions but I'd wager a small fortune that the guitar pictured above is strung exactly the way Leo Fender designed it.

I bring this up not to be a wise guy but in the interest of discussion and passing along good information so that others may avoid the pitfalls of improperly stringing an instrument. Many of the people on the forum are new to guitar playing and ask these exact quaestions. My response is merely in the interest of passing along good information.

www.telenator.com

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telenator View Post
So, let me make sure I understand this correctly. You're saying that the strings as depicted in the photo above, are on backwards? I really don't mean to belabor this point but, as a guitar builder, I go to great lengths when laying out a peg head to ensure that the holes are in the right places so the strings line up with the tuners and have the minimal amount of skew to them. I do realize there may be a few exceptions but I'd wager a small fortune that the guitar pictured above is strung exactly the way Leo Fender designed it.

I bring this up not to be a wise guy but in the interest of discussion and passing along good information so that others may avoid the pitfalls of improperly stringing an instrument. Many of the people on the forum are new to guitar playing and ask these exact quaestions. My response is merely in the interest of passing along good information.

I think you need to look at it again then. Most right handed fender guitars wrap from bottom of the post. That is if you are looking at the guitar from the playing position. Just compare it to any other headstock picture and you'll see what your missing on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headstock.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	30025  
Mightyaxeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Look at the picture, and notice how the E and B strings kick off at an angle at the string tree.
nogin007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin guitarman View Post
The neck is from a 1990 Fender Stratocaster. (N9+ 5 digits) The American Traditional Series preceeded the California and Mexican instruments.
Sorry, but N9 shows it as a 1999 not 1990. The N indicates the year series (1990's) the next digit is the last digit of the year. (9 being 1999)

http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php

Old August 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Oh my! I can't believe I'm such an A55! I'm just not used to seeing the headstock from that angle and I messed up.

My most humble and sincere apologies to everyone here.

Next time, I'll put my glasses on before I comment. I can't believe I'm such a jerk!

www.telenator.com

Old August 12th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by randysmojo View Post
Sorry, but N9 shows it as a 1999 not 1990. The N indicates the year series (1990's) the next digit is the last digit of the year. (9 being 1999)

http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php
N9+ 5 digits was used during 1990, and again in 1999 and 2000. Check the numbers at your link. Fender American Traditional series was prior to 1999. The neck is most likely from a 1990. There is even a note on the linked page stating N9+5 digit serial numbers were inadvertly used during 1990.

"N"-prefix serial numbers denoting the 1990s were introduced in 1990. The numbers and decals were produced far in advance, and some N9 decals (denoting 1999), were inadvertantly affixed to some instruments in 1990. Consequently, some 1990 guitars bear 1999 "N9" serial numbers.

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Wow. Misseed that one little "N9" on there, not thinking that would have ever happened. They mixed up so many serial number dates. Like everyone on ebay with an "E4" serial calling it a '84 smith era, when it has 22 frets and the two screw bridge. Does anyone know when they started making American series with 22 frets? I thought it was 1987, but can't remember for sure. I never heard of the American Traditional series of guitars. Did they come with the standard Fender tuners like that?

Old August 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

n9??isn that the serial number for 1990???