Cool Buddy Holly Pictures. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum Fender's "other" great guitar the Stratocaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 4th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cool Buddy Holly Pictures.

From 1958 -

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...875021,00.html

Sidney Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for that. Interesting pics.

He would have been 73 had he lived. Wow.

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Those pictures are superb - thanks!
Loco is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link. Down in London next week so will pop in.

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Great pics. Buddy looked like such a down to earth approachable guy.

Heard some interesting facts on the radio yesterday -- it being the anniversary of the plane crash. Apparently Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on the plane but the Big Bopper took his seat, bumping him off with a, "enjoy the bus ride junior" or something to that effect. Jennings reportedly replied, "I hope the plane crashes."

Dion was supposed to be on the plane as well but he refused to pay so much money for a plane flight ($36) so he took the bus.

They also spoke about Bob Dillon and were talking about how Dillon picked up some singing style from Holly. I'm not a Dillon fan so don't know. Just passing on what I heard.

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Dillon?!?!?
charlie chitlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie chitlin View Post
Dillon?!?!?
Sidney Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The one and only. RIP Buddy.
Gracie Fields is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks very much. Great photos. Who was the blonde on the bus, btw?

Buddy ... a geeky musical genius. What a freakin' shame.
FirstBassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Great link - some nice pics. He must have inspired more Strat players than anyone.
blue metalflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he meant Bob Zimmerman, but i bet you guys knew that.

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of Waylon during the BH era, or was he in some of those photos and I just didn't recognize him?

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

cool
wangdangdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

NO those were all the Original Crickets except the Cricket that they took their name after was still in the walls making his churping sounds.

Old February 5th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Noticed he was playin' a blond tele with rosewood fretboard in 1957 apollo theatre
while sources tell (I didn't witnessed it) the first tele with rosewood were only available in mid 1959...
silenus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

All those pictures are great, but #6 is really special.
Sombras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Wonder if the two girls from Valentine and the Tanner Sisters are still with us? Be great to read their recollections about meeting with Buddy and the Crickets.
Loco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

This pic was the June 1982 Gtr Player cover.

Note the Bakelite pickup cover wear.

Buddy was the first rocker to play a Strat.

Other early Strat players were Leon McAuliffe in C&W, Buddy Merrill with Lawrence Welk, and Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, and Ike Turner in the R&B field.

jamie

ne4tt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yikes, you totally got me - I typed Dillon. Good catch. Obviously I don't listen to him.

From Wikipedia (trust at your own risk)
A young Bob Dylan attended the 31 January 1959 show, two nights before Holly's death. Dylan referred to this in his 1998 Grammy acceptance speech for his 1997 Time out of Mind winning Album of the Year:

"And I just want to say that when I was sixteen or seventeen years old, I went to see Buddy Holly play at Duluth National Guard Armory and I was three feet away from him...and he LOOKED at me. And I just have some sort of feeling that he was I don't know how or why but I know he was with us all the time we were making this record in some kind of way."

Regarding the plane crash.
Found a webpage which has another version of the story but I lean toward this more than a radio personality remembering a story. Your call. Good read to say the least.

Property of http://www.fiftiesweb.com/crash.htm

Performing in concert was very profitable, and Buddy Holly needed the money it provided. "The Winter Dance Party Tour" was planned to cover 24 cities in a short 3 week time frame (January 23 - February 15) and Holly would be the biggest headliner. Waylon Jennings, a friend from Lubbock, Texas and Tommy Allsup would go as backup musicians.

Ritchie Valens, probably the hottest of the artists at the time, The Big Bopper, and Dion and the Belmonts would round out the list of performers.

The tour bus developed heating problems. It was so cold onboard that reportedly one of the drummers developed frostbite riding in it. When they arrived at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, they were cold, tired and disgusted.

Buddy Holly had had enough of the unheated bus and decided to charter a plane for himself and his guys. At least he could get some laundry done before the next performance!

That night at the Surf Ballroom was magical as the fans went wild over the performers.

Jiles P. Richardson, known as The Big Bopper to his fans, was a Texas D.J. who found recording success and fame in 1958 with the song Chantilly Lace.

Richie Valenzuela was only 16 years old when Del-Fi record producer, Bob Keane, discovered the Pacoima, California singer. Keane rearranged his name to Ritchie Valens, and in 1958 they recorded Come On, Let's Go. Far more successful was the song Valens wrote for his girlfriend, Donna, and its flip side, La Bamba, a Rock and Roll version of an old Mexican standard. This earned the teenager an appearance on American Bandstand and the prospect of continued popularity.

Charles Hardin "Buddy" Holley (changed to Holly due to a misspelling on a contract) and his band, The Crickets, had a number one hit in 1957 with the tune That'll Be The Day. This success was follwed by Peggy Sue and an appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. By 1959, Holly had decided to move in a new direction. He and the Crickets parted company. Holly married Maria Elena Santiago and moved to New York with the hope of concentrating on song writing and producing.

Dwyer Flying Service got the charter. $36 per person for a single engine Beechcraft Bonanza.

No, the plane wasn't named American Pie. It only had serial numbers, N3794N.

Waylon Jennings gave his seat up to Richardson, who was running a fever and had trouble fitting his stocky frame comfortably into the bus seats.

When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." This friendly banter of friends would haunt Jennings for years.

Allsup told Valens, I'll flip you for the remaining seat. On the toss of a coin, Valens won the seat and Allsup the rest of his life.

The plane took off a little after 1 A.M. from Clear Lake and never got far from the airport before it crashed, killing all onboard.

A cold N.E wind immediately gave way to a snow which drastically reduced visibility. The ground was already blanketed in white. The pilot may have been inexperienced with the instrumentation.

One wing hit the ground and the small plane corkscrewed over and over. The three young stars were thrown clear of the plane, leaving only pilot Roger Peterson inside.

Over the years there has been much speculation as to whether a shot was fired inside the plane which disabled or killed the pilot. Logic suggests that encased in a sea of white snow, with only white below, Peterson just flew the plane into the ground.

Read the Coroner's Report or the Civil Aeronautics Board Report for more info.

Deciding that the show must go on at the next stop, Moorhead, MN, they looked for local talent to fill in. Just across the state line from Moorhead, in Fargo ND, they found a 15 year old talent named Bobby Vee.

The crash that ended the lives of Holly, Valens and Richardson was the break that began the career of Vee.

Tommy Allsup would one day open a club named "The Head's Up Saloon," a tribute to the coin toss that saved his life.

Waylon Jennings would become a hugely popular Country singer.

Dion di Mucci would enjoy a long lived solo career.

Inscribed on Ritchie Valens' grave are the words, "Come On, Let's Go."

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

That is from "The Buddy Holly Story" (1977). Too many inaccuracies to count in that one. Entertaining movie, but not good history. That was Gary Busey playing that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Noticed he was playin' a blond tele with rosewood fretboard in 1957 apollo theatre
while sources tell (I didn't witnessed it) the first tele with rosewood were only available in mid 1959...
eedwards is offline   Reply With Quote