Pedal Suggestions to enhance a good country rock sound - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Pedal Suggestions to enhance a good country rock sound

I haven't been a big user of effects & I recently have a sound that I am happy with in terms of a tele plugged into a Blues Jnr. It sounds good to me & meets my needs but over the course of a set, it's quite samey & a couple of friends have suggested that I use effects to enhance my tone. I watched a Country Rock tones DVD recently which suggested good effects usage enhance an already good tone. I feel I finally have that good tone.

So I dug out my old pedal board & updated a couple of the pedals. I don't want to spend LOADS of money but equally I want to avoid the dirt cheap pedals like Behringer / Danelectro. I guess a Boss type price range suits me best.

I have a tuner pedal, a Marshall boost (pure & slighly overdriven tones), a reverb pedal (read good things about the Electro Harmonix one but too many comments about background noise so I played it safe with another Marshall), a Boss compressor pedal & my quirky little twist of an acoustic simulator.

I have room for an additional pedal & was wondering what people would recommend for a country rock sound (playing mainly covers from Johnny Cash to Steve Earle). I'm not a fan of particuarly distorted tones so I figured a chorus pedal or a delay pedal would be a final choice. I've hunted around the threads on the forum but I couldn't find an exact thread to help me. What do you reckon? I'm also curious about what gigging country rock guitarists are using in their setup. What works & more importantly, what doesn't? Cheers Tim

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...oodooTDPRI.jpg
Tim73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

delay and phaser are all I'd add.

I like the byoc models of both... you can build them yourself, save some money and they sound great!

Old January 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim73 View Post
I haven't been a big user of effects & I recently have a sound that I am happy with in terms of a tele plugged into a Blues Jnr. It sounds good to me & meets my needs but over the course of a set, it's quite samey & a couple of friends have suggested that I use effects to enhance my tone. I watched a Country Rock tones DVD recently which suggested good effects usage enhance an already good tone. I feel I finally have that good tone.

So I dug out my old pedal board & updated a couple of the pedals. I don't want to spend LOADS of money but equally I want to avoid the dirt cheap pedals like Behringer / Danelectro. I guess a Boss type price range suits me best.

I have a tuner pedal, a Marshall boost (pure & slighly overdriven tones), a reverb pedal (read good things about the Electro Harmonix one but too many comments about background noise so I played it safe with another Marshall), a Boss compressor pedal & my quirky little twist of an acoustic simulator.

I have room for an additional pedal & was wondering what people would recommend for a country rock sound (playing mainly covers from Johnny Cash to Steve Earle). I'm not a fan of particuarly distorted tones so I figured a chorus pedal or a delay pedal would be a final choice. I've hunted around the threads on the forum but I couldn't find an exact thread to help me. What do you reckon? I'm also curious about what gigging country rock guitarists are using in their setup. What works & more importantly, what doesn't? Cheers Tim
Dirt cheap doesn't always mean crap. The Danelectro tuna melt tremelo would be a great addition to your board, and I think plenty of forumites would agree. I would think that a tremelo pedal is a useful effect in country rock, especially since the Blues Jr doesn't have it built in.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleBrew View Post
Dirt cheap doesn't always mean crap. The Danelectro tuna melt tremelo would be a great addition to your board, and I think plenty of forumites would agree. I would think that a tremelo pedal is a useful effect in country rock, especially since the Blues Jr doesn't have it built in.
If I could only use one pedal, the Tuna Melt would be it.
Durtdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

for my country rock sound I currently use a combination of the following:

Boss Compression, Boss Delay & Boss Blues Driver.

I have the gain knob on the blues driver turned down very very low to give just a small crunch. But I use those three to get the sound.
Eddy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Country Rock tone

If you have reverb on your amp and your Marshall overdrive is handling the heavy work I would get a compressor, A Boss or a Dyna Comp because nothing say country like that juicey Tele through a compressor tone front pick up or back. IMO

Gary
Gary in Boston is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim73 View Post
...I watched a Country Rock tones DVD recently which suggested good effects usage enhance an already good tone.
Hey Tim, what was the Country Rock tones DVD were you checking out?
Twang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the responses so far.

The Danelectro comment was more to do with sturdiness as the cheaper pedals tend to be made of lighter material. I'm tempted enough to try the tremelo pedal though! I had an old Behringer boost that was suprisingly great & I tried upgrading on several occasions with inferior sounding more expensive ones.

And in answer to Twang's question, it's an old DVD I got on Ebay called Classic Country guitar which is part of a late 1990s series called Getting the Sound.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...oodooTDPRI.jpg
Tim73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Tim-check out the site below

http://sizzlingguitarlicks.com/freev...tone26974.html

"There is no such thinig as 'part freedom'." - Nelson Mandela
Redd Volkaert is a Master Jedi at one with the Force!!!
garytelecastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

A little off your question, but I would recommend a volume pedal. Good for "steel" guitar riffs and swells.
jjz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

any effect will "enhance"...

it all depends on how one uses it for the music of their choice. Just listen to a Brad Paisley CD. I think he's using stuff that's probably not designed with country music "in mind"....
Having said that, I'd suggest using:
1. Digitech Bad Monkey
2. MXR Dynacomp
3. Ernie Ball volume pedal
4. Boss DD3

http://www.myspace.com/francisbalagtas
franchelB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'd reccommend The Boss DD03, Analog Mikes Juicer (compressor), the country comp, and Thev Boss BD-2
Jim

Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

A delay for sure, try and get one with an analog setting if you can (or indeed an analog one - Analogman's is excellent for the money if you can get one). Set it with one quick repeat, not too in your face, and you'll be chuffed to bits. I stopped using reverb for country and just have that little bit of analog slapback echo, it sounds more like it to me.

The volume pedal is another good idea as stated for steelie licks.

I suppose if your country rock is more on the rocky side a Tubescreamer is never out of place.

And play around with your compressor!
Grin'n'pick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Compressor: Almost necessary for chicken-pickin'
Phaser: For that classic 1970s rhythm sound, although modern country types probably think it's corny
Tremelo: For all sorts of things
Overdrive: Likewise

Be warned that compressors can lead to G.A.S. psychosis as you try to find the PERFECT one to match your setup and technique...

-from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
kludge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I use Boss CS2 compressor BD2 Blues driver CE2 chorus and just recently added DD3 delay. Cannot seem to get a good sound from BD2 so am thinking of trying Boss FBM1. Check it out on the Bossus.Com web site.
Scotele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yeah the compressor is a must, its also a great tool for slide playing.
My favorite slide set up has always been a boss compressor-808 OD pedal and a wah-wah just about 1/2 open. Stops all the noise except what you want and sustains properly too.
chabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Bad Bob boost pedal and a good compressor. I use the Home Brew Electronics CPR and love it. AnalogMan is another great compressor. Some folks will also say delay and I might even tend to agree...except when I'm playing through it. It just never sounds right.

If you're in a band playing alot of cover tunes you can go nuts with pedals, particularly if you're trying to be true to the original. This stuff (phase, chorus, flange, etc) is icing on the cake that might be nice to have from time to time, but it's not elemental to the country rock sound IMO.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My band plays a mix of "old-country" standards and some rocking country tunes (i.e. Steve Earle, Dale Watson, Derailers, etc) and I've settled on the following:

Koll Tele -->Boss Tuner Pedal -->ProAnalog Dirt Royale --> Jacques Prisioner Delay (set for slapback) --> Swart AST (with reberb and Trem)

The ProAnalog Dirt Royale is great for milder distortion tones just gives the right amount of extra push for the more rock oriented stuff. If I'm using an amp without Tremelo, I insert a Demeter Tremulator betwen the Dirt Royale and the Prisioner Delay.

The delay and reverb are always on, but I switch off the trem for some tunes. The distortion is on about half the time.

When I first got into country playing, I did a lot of experimentation and finally settled on this line-up. I also have an Analogman Bi-Compressor which I've used from time to time, but haven't incorporated on a permanent basis.

Hope this helps...
Scottone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ive been using a Visual Sound Rt 66 overdrive/compressor , a Visual Sound H2O delay/chorus , and a BBE Sonic Stomp (for extra clarity) with my Teles and Esquires through a Epiphone Valve Junior head and 1x12 cab lately , and can get all the country/rock tones you can think of . The key to a good country tone with the Valve Junior is the Rt 66 compressor and the BBE Sonic Stomp . Both of those together give me more high end , clarity , and clean headroom . Plus I use George Ls cables on everything . I plan on getting a second Epi VJ head and cab for extra volume . I sometimes use a Vox wah and would like to get a EH Holy Grail + reverb and a EH Pulsar tremolo .
tommyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm with Eddy. Compressor/Delay/OD/Amp with Reverb. Yes, old school uses a phaser at times. How you those effects depends on your choice of pedal. I choose a Dyna-comp and a multi-effects pedal.