What order should my pedals be in? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What order should my pedals be in?

Ok, im no good with effects. But ive picked up a few pedals (delay, compressor) so cheap off ebay by selling some pedals I used in my yoof (fuzz face, wah) that id like some advice on where they should go in an effects chain.

Im sure this has been posted before but not by someone with exactly the same pedals as me!

So,

mexican telecaster w/texas specials / squier tele with fralins

>Bad Monkey (just use this for a little OD push)
>DOD milkbox compressor
>Dan-Echo delay

>fender blues deluxe / champion 110 w/celestion vintage 30 / epi valve junior

Im likely to want the delay and one of the others on at all times. If i can get enough boost from the compressor the bad monkey isnt probably going to be always necessary.

I play rootsy stuff. I attempt to play country lead and play some dirty blues too.

Id like to sound like this guy-

and am hoping pedals can mask my lack of proficiency so give me some good suggestions!

http://www.facebook.com/bluesr
Steve G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

after messing with pedals for years I've found this to be the best order

Guitar
Wah,
Compressor,
Overdrive,
EQ,
Vibrato,
Chorus,
Tremolo,
Volume Pedal,
Delay
Tuner
Amp

But there are no rules, some pedals sound better in different places than others eg:

I use to have a Boss ds-1 (distortion pedal) that sounded great anywhere in the position of the signal chain, but now I have a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, that has to first or second in the chain or it just doesn't sound right.

so just keep swapping them around untill your happy with the sound!

Last edited by cRaZY Tom; October 23rd, 2007 at 07:36 PM.
cRaZY Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks Tom!
Thats an impressive pedal board you must have! Ever switch em all on at once?!

I forgot to mention I have a tremolo too that may get thrown in the mix.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Thanks Tom!
Thats an impressive pedal board you must have! Ever switch em all on at once?!

I forgot to mention I have a tremolo too that may get thrown in the mix.

your welcome!
That was a while ago when it was at its largest. but it was a bit too big to be practical....I turned them all on once or twice but it was an uncontrollable noise more than anything.

it's now quite alot smaller and more practical

Guitar
Wah
Fuzz
Overdrive
Tuner
Tremlo
Amp

cRaZY Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nub
Tele-Afflicted

There's a good article on Robert Keeley's site; I've used his recommendations on my own boards, and they've worked out well:

EFFECT PEDAL ORDER AND PLACEMENT

Q: Is there a specific order my effects should go in?

A: Yes and no. There are some guidelines that can be followed to make sure odd things don't happen. There have been times when a compressor after a delay pedal or reverb unit has caused some bad (good?) effects, there have been brilliant moves to place effects in certain orders that break most rules, but below is a guideline I came up with and was published in Musician's Hotline Magazine. Nice things is it gives you a way, a phrase to memorize so that when you're on the road, you can get it right if you pick up a new effect.

Placing effects in a logical order will help! This list of effects order is just a general guideline. Some of the best and most unique guitar tones have been created by breaking the rules! You guys need a head start at good tone right?! A way to make life easy right?! I came up with a little phrase to help remember the order because even I forget. Ask yourself this when you wonder about effects order or placement: Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy? All you have to do is remember this phase and which letter corresponds to which type of effect. Wah -> Which, Compressor -> Chain, Overdrive -> Of, EQ -> Effect, Pitch -> Pedals, Modulation -> Make, Level -> Life, Echo -> Easy. I like to see wah pedals and sometimes even phasers as the first effect after the guitar. We'll call these Wah effects (yes even the phaser). Wah pedals boost a frequency you sweep to with your foot and phasers cut or notch a frequency that is swept to electronically. Distortion pedals make interesting response changes to the boost or cut from these sweep pedals.

Compressors typically go next although I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn't being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone. Next comes Overdrive or distortion. Equalizer pedals can go next. They are commonly used for a boost pedal if they can be turned on and off, or used to shape the tone of the distortion pedal. Pitch changing pedals, Vibrato for example; go next for the simple reason that many distortion pedals can't handle the many pitches at one time. Try strumming a complex chord with your distortion pedal on, say a C7#9#11.

Modulation effects go next such as chorus and flanging go next. Level pedals that control the volume go next in many cases. This would include tremolo, volume pedals (great at this point in the effects chain because it cuts all the hiss going to your amp), noise gates and limiters. Since compression is a limiter in many cases and this is why it works post-distortion by the way. Echo effects go last. These include delay and reverb. A sample effects board might contain these effects: Guitar -> Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, EQ, Vibrato, Chorus, Tremolo, Volume Pedal, and Delay-> Amp.

Crazy Tom is right, there really is no "right" way, it's just whatever you like & works best for you. Plus, experimenting is part of the fun!

Last edited by Nub; October 24th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.
Nub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My set up is this:

Guitar>Tuner>Compressor>Wah>Phaser>Delay>amp

Rarely have more than one effect on at a time anyway.
Telarkaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Comps can tend to accentuate any noise in your signal that might be generated by od/distortion/fuzz fx....

with your set up i'd say:
Guitar --> comp --> od --> delay --> amp(s)

Jes' m.h.o., y.m.m.v.
maestrovert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrovert View Post
Comps can tend to accentuate any noise in your signal that might be generated by od/distortion/fuzz fx....

with your set up i'd say:
Guitar --> comp --> od --> delay --> amp(s)
I would do the same for the reason noted above.
Big Lug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lug View Post
I would do the same for the reason noted above.
thanks meastrovert/big lug,

after some experiementation your method seems to be the way to go, pretty much the same as crazy toms idea i think.

Im going to keep playing with it though, delay definitely needs to go last so theres really not all that much to decide after that.

Im pleasantly surprised with the hiss level as these aint expensive pedals. Ive never put more than two pedals on at once since the wah and fuzz face attempting voodoo chile age 16!

All good fun!