David Gilmour sound - what do i need next? Compressor? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 24th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

David Gilmour sound - what do i need next? Compressor?

I really want to capture that gilmour sound.
Ive got a strat copy anda tele for my pink floyd stuff.

the effects I have so far are
Marshall EH-1 Echohead (Delay Pedal)
Big Muff Pi (Russian black one)
ProCo Rat 2 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
DF2210 Wah-Wah Pedal
Digitech Whammy 4
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Amp: Roland Cube 60

now, the sound I really want is the beggining of Shine on you crazy diamond - however, my guitars dont have the right amount of sustain or sound.
I have heard a lot about getting a compression/sustainer.
I would mainly be using it for the sustain ability - and mainly on clean.

What would you guys recomend for the gilmour tone (ie clean and mild overdrive uses as apposed to a compressor for metal)

I've been looking at the Boss CS-3 and MXR Dynacomp as I know gilmour uses both. Or are there any other compressors that would do the job?

Also, GLX do a clone of the CS3 - are GLX any good?

thanks

Last edited by T3L3CAST3R scr33nag3r; October 25th, 2006 at 08:43 AM.
T3L3CAST3R scr33nag3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

i think you have enough stuff to copy almost everybody. i would rather try to copy his playing than his equipment, because we will never really know what he did to do it. i am pretty shure david gilmour has a superhighend rig thats loaded with custom stuff that costs him nothing but is totally expensive for the guy next door. ymmv
eddie

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hello,

yes a compressor for 'Shine on' sounds and for 'Comfortably Numb' solos, a Flanger after the Big Muff.

For ALL your answers, go to:

gilmourish.com

It is the one stop shop for all your questions. Enjoy !

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth Feline
Hello,

yes a compressor for 'Shine on' sounds and for 'Comfortably Numb' solos, a Flanger after the Big Muff.

For ALL your answers, go to:

gilmourish.com

It is the one stop shop for all your questions. Enjoy !
i am already a big fan of gilmourish.com!

i was mainly hoping on some floyd fans here that have got the shine on sound

Old October 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You'll be wanting some sort of rotary speaker effect for the Shine On intro tone.
tiktok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Buy or rent the documentary on the making of Dark Side of the Moon.

Gilmour claims that he can walk into any guitar store and get his sound with very little equipment.
furrfurrfurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrfurrfurr
Buy or rent the documentary on the making of Dark Side of the Moon.

Gilmour claims that he can walk into any guitar store and get his sound with very little equipment.
he doesn't say what though - though he does say a range of boss pedals

Old October 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I can get the 'Shine On' intro with a (indyguitarist.com) modded CS3 and simple amp reverb, or a Electro Harmonix "Holy Grail" reverb pedal if not using an amp with reverb.

Just knock off the compressor for the arpeggiated chord voicing and back on for the return to the smooth yet clean lead sound.
If you get a chorus pedal, it sounds nice for the arpeggiated chord, but by no means essential. The simple absence of compression already throws the chord into stark relief from the soaring 'lead' work.

An ordinary (un-modded) CS3 will work as well, but the mod gave me a wider range of control and enabled me to dial in the right amount of compression later on the sweep of the controls and with more precision. I gather that the MXR are even more dark and 'squishy' in a nice way. I do have a Barber 'Tonepress' with clean/compression blend control, but usually use the CS3 for the sound you describe.

Also I find that 10 - 46 (D'addario) strings help. Ernie ball sound too 'thin' at the same gauge and 9s just don't give me that meat on the high e and b needed for that sound. I know that Dave Gilmour uses GHS 10,12,16,28,38,48 - but I go along with the founder of the "Gilmourish.com" website in using standard 10s. I just prefer more beef on the b and g when getting that clean but thick blues sound. 11s seem to loose that soaring vocal quality and become harder and more percusive again.

Old October 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The compression on Gilmour's studio recordings may well have been added after the fact at the board, rather than before the fact into the amp. If so, then you may never get that sound quite right with a guitar rig. Studio compressors are different beasts. On the other hand, all compressors do basically the same thing, but the subtleties of touch with them are VERY player-specific. Rather than trying to nail down his sound precisely, find a compressor that matches YOUR touch, and then try to get his phrasing.

I've gone through a number of compressors over the years, trying to find one that doesn't hurt my touch. Right now, I'm using a ToadWorks Mr Squishy... a pedal that didn't even exist back then, but I'll bet it could get real close to the old Gilmour sound. Don't know if I'll keep Mr Squishy, but he's doing okay so far.
kludge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

ive got ernie ball 9's on all my electrics.
if i were to put 10's on, would it bend the neck and need adjustment of the truss rod? (if not a difference within a month, but after a year of using 10's when the guitar was initialy set up for 9's?)

Old October 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

get a tube amp =]
Radioheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Another thing to remember when chasing the tone from an album is that frequently the player in question is playing much louder than you'll be able to at home, or even on gigs. Standing next to a clean Twin Reverb half open will give you all sorts of non-distorted sustain that can't really be replicated via a compressor pedal. The volume itself is essential.

Gilmour is also noted for playing loud in the studio during solos, on the verge of feedback. This allows him to use a lot less actual overdrive/distortion since the acoustic feedback tendency is helping him out.
tiktok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You're going to need a lot more than a compressor. I was listening to the live cd Pulse last night, and it seems that every song has a totally different sound. And Gilmour is a mster of all of them!

Old October 24th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/pfrig.html

And this is just his live setup, imagine the odds and ends used in the studio...

The guy of the website has been working with gilmour wince '77, he also built the following all-tube multi-effects station for gilmour recently:

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/bop.html
aznrambo481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Here is another one
http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gea...p?page=effects
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi again,
Yes, if you fit 10s instead of 9s, minor adjustments will be needed to get optimum playing action from the same guitar. Usually tighten the truss rod about 1/8th turn clock wise to compensate for the increased tension and then if you have a tremelo bar, tighten that until it sits in the same position it did before when you had the 9s on the guitar.

Also remember to use a pick of at least 1mm thickness. I use a 1.21 celluloid plectrum of regular shape. Dave Gilmour uses those small (heavy gauge) 'teardrop' shaped ones. I just like the yet mellower sound of a celluloid / regular shaped pick.

A .013" gauge on the 'B' string and a .017" gauge on the 'G' will make those opening few bars sound soooo sweet, even without a compressor. I use the pickup selector on bridge+middle position. As previously mentioned, it is assumed you are using a warm/clean sounding valve amp. Tone settings are:

Mid = 10

Treble = 8

Bass =5

I use Fender/Laney/Peavey on the Amp side of things, the Fender and Laney use the smooth and glassy sounding 6L6 type output valves, whereas the Peavey uses EL84. I cannot get his sound as well using a Marshall with EL34 output valves.

Old October 25th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

is adjusting the truss rodd domething i can do easily?
are they universal or do most makes of guitar have different ones.

I use the celluloid pics too - they're the best!
They're the nice fender ones - medium - i dont know how thick they are though

Old October 25th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Truss rod...

The ease of adjusting the truss rod depends on where the adjustment screw is. If it's located up at the headstock (just beyond the nut), then it can be done very easily, with the strings still on and tuned to pitch.
However, on some guitars, it is located at the other end of the neck (up by the body). This would require you to remove the neck from the body, make the adjustment, put everything back together, and then hope you adjusted the right amount....these necks can be a lot more time-consuming.

The key thing to remember, is that "a little does a lot". Going from 9's to 10's will probably require very little (if any) adjustment. if you find the truss rod does need adjusting, just tighten by an eighth of a turn, and then give it a day or so to settle in. After that, if you find it still needs more, go another eighth of a turn, and so on and so forth. You don't want to over-do it with truss rods, as fixing a broken one is a real pain.

If you're the least bit squeamish about doing this yourself, take the guitar to a pro. A lot of techs will even show you how to make adjustments like this so you can do it yourself in the future.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Later...

Old October 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB72
The ease of adjusting the truss rod depends on where the adjustment screw is. If it's located up at the headstock (just beyond the nut), then it can be done very easily, with the strings still on and tuned to pitch.
However, on some guitars, it is located at the other end of the neck (up by the body). This would require you to remove the neck from the body, make the adjustment, put everything back together, and then hope you adjusted the right amount....these necks can be a lot more time-consuming.

The key thing to remember, is that "a little does a lot". Going from 9's to 10's will probably require very little (if any) adjustment. if you find the truss rod does need adjusting, just tighten by an eighth of a turn, and then give it a day or so to settle in. After that, if you find it still needs more, go another eighth of a turn, and so on and so forth. You don't want to over-do it with truss rods, as fixing a broken one is a real pain.

If you're the least bit squeamish about doing this yourself, take the guitar to a pro. A lot of techs will even show you how to make adjustments like this so you can do it yourself in the future.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Later...
i am a bit squimish about it. I dont really want to take it to a guitar shop as I'm sure they would charge some pathetic amount of money.
How much is a adjustemt screw/where can I get one.
On all my electrics, they're adjusted from the machine head but they have the plastic truss rod cover - do I have to take the strings off to acces the rod behind the panel and make the adjustments?

Old October 25th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

PICKS ...

The Fender medium picks are about 0.77mm thick. Try fender Heavy ( about 1mm ) or preferably Extra Heavy ( about 1.14mm ).

Keep up the good work !