Boss CS3 Mods Worth The Trouble? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Boss CS3 Mods Worth The Trouble?

I find my Boss pedal not very musical..it tends to squash the signal too much regardless of settings, and it seems to eq the signal, like a band pass filter. Has anyone modded one of these in any way and was it worth the while? I notice there are component kits out there claiming to improve this pedal...Do they work? Or is it best just to buy another pedal? Any one tried adding a mix pot so you can mix straight signal with squashed?
Vikki(uk)

Last edited by vikki; September 17th, 2006 at 11:59 AM.
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

my cs-3 works fine with all the knobs at 1200 but only with my fenders,when i use my gibson with p90's i have to turn it off...

Old September 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I modded a CS-3 with Monte Allum's opto-mod and it made a marginal pedal into a usable one. I don't think it's better then a Keeley or Tone Press, but it sure sounds better then it did!
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 18th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Try asking Scotland as he has a CS3 which has been modded and i think one without mods.
He usually gives an idea of before and after effect.
Cobra
Cobra8272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Loooper blend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki
Any one tried adding a mix pot so you can mix straight signal with squashed?
Vikki(uk)
I have a Loooper pedal with a blend knob so I can blend in effects as desired. Honestly though, I rarely use that feature.
Hucklebilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi Vikki,

I fitted an Indyguitarist.com CS3 mod kit which did open up the sound and make the controls work over a wider range. I also have the Barber TonePress, which is far more versatile if using it as an 'only pedal on the floor' (with added clean boost potential), but I keep the modded CS3 on my pedal board. Sometimes I prefer the little extra squish for country or Dave Gilmour sounds. Therefore both the modded CS3 and the luxurious Tonepress get loved and used for different reasons.

If you have any further questions, just ask.

Regards,

Derek.

Old October 17th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi Vikki,

I agree with Fourth Feline as I did the same by getting the Indy Guitarist Modification plans and handed it over to my Tech. The Pedal is now fantastic
as it got rid of most of the hiss at higher levels, and does not alter the flavour of the tone of the guitar so much like before when it sounded tinney. Now it has a nice rich warm twang for my Tele for country palying. The other thing about Indy Guitarist is that their are some pros like Brent Mason, and Danny Groah (Lead guitarsit for Alan Jackson) who have sent in their praise for the modifications from this supplier. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for us ! Get it and you will find a new Pedal you did not know you had.
Telewringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telewringer
Hi Vikki,

I agree with Fourth Feline as I did the same by getting the Indy Guitarist Modification plans and handed it over to my Tech. The Pedal is now fantastic
as it got rid of most of the hiss at higher levels, and does not alter the flavour of the tone of the guitar so much like before when it sounded tinney. Now it has a nice rich warm twang for my Tele for country palying. The other thing about Indy Guitarist is that their are some pros like Brent Mason, and Danny Groah (Lead guitarsit for Alan Jackson) who have sent in their praise for the modifications from this supplier. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for us ! Get it and you will find a new Pedal you did not know you had.
Thanks for the kinds words! :)

bw
Wampler Pedals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I agree with 'fancychords'. The pedal works best at 12:00, with minor adjustments based on the tone your seeking.

Its a good pedal for country picking. I don't know about how good it is for anything else, but I love it for my country tunes. It smooths things out and makes the tone nice and snappy instead of really in your face loud.

Not only is it good for pickin', but it also works good for chord work. It makes the chords blend nicer. The lows and highs are balanced out a bit more than without the pedal.

Good Pedal for country, no doubt about it.
joel_ostrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo_joel
I agree with 'fancychords'. The pedal works best at 12:00, with minor adjustments based on the tone your seeking.
I usually set my Indyguitarist-modded CS-3 with the level about 9:30 and the sustain at 12:30. This is just above unity gain.
Hucklebilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Get yourself a Pedaldoc kit

Pedaldoc has what you are looking for. I installed their Cs3 mod kit and it really sounds good now. Much more body and more natural sound. I canīt really understand why the Boss guys donīt built their pedals like this as they must have the best electronics brains working for them...

Have a look at their site:

www.pedaldoc.com

The guy who runs the business is really helpful and kind...and patient I must say. He answered about 10 of my emails before I bought the kit and he was always nice...
thedutchguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I just sent my Boss CS-3 out to Humphrey's Audio in New England for a mod. I'll let you know how it sounds once I get it back. As is, it's much too noisy and on certain settings you can hear the distinct pluck of the strings. Mark told me that all that excessive noise will be gone and it will sound much better...we'll see. I've read reviews of his mod to the CS-3 and it appears to be exactly what the pedal needs.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki
I find my Boss pedal not very musical..it tends to squash the signal too much regardless of settings, and it seems to eq the signal, like a band pass filter. Has anyone modded one of these in any way and was it worth the while? I notice there are component kits out there claiming to improve this pedal...Do they work? Or is it best just to buy another pedal? Any one tried adding a mix pot so you can mix straight signal with squashed?
Vikki(uk)
I agree with everything you said. In my opinion, it is a bad pedal and I would try something else. The ED-1 from Marshall is a LOT better for less money, also the older boss comps were nice. Diamond makes a good compressor, but it is pretty subtle. Generally speaking, I dislike every tone a cs3 has ever given me
yerffej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Still pondering on a new comp, some people seem to get good results with the CS3. I was wondering if its possible to add a mix control on the CS3 so you could bring in some of the un processed direct signal.
Regards
Vikki(u k)
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I was working with one of my favorite guitarists in a session the other day. He was using a Keeley compressor, and it sounded great. He said he uses the Keeley for sessions, as it adds no distortion at all. But he said he uses his stock Boss CS-3 for shows.

How about NOT USING a compressor? I am finding, more and more, that if I run a good guitar through a good amp, then it opens up the whole world of using my own hands to find all the different sounds in a guitar. Seems like a nice delay can give you some spatial depth. I've been using lower wattage amps, like Deluxes, pro juniors, etc., turning them up and turning the guitar down for clean sounds.

Pretty cool.
willvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

GGG orange squeezer

Just built 2 of these,and its a great,subtle comp that really brings out the snapping of the strings without overly compressing or squashing the heck out of your tone.Gives my strat that knopfler tone in spades.
czech-one-2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

I'm a huge fan of the Indy Guitar CS-3 mod. But I recommend going one step further with it. The PDF Electronics mod is basically Wampler's mod, with the addition of two more cap changes, three diodes, and two IC chips. Blow off the IC chips, but do the two additional caps, and change out D1, D2 and D3 (iirc)
with 1N34A diodes. Changing those diodes really takes Brian's great idea and kicks it up a notch. It definitely smooths the attack out even more.

Highly recommended. Search for "The Ultimate CS-3 Mod" for the additional details, or PM me and I'll look 'em up and send 'em to you.
Mumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I am starting to think compressors were invented for guitarists who cant turn the amp up loud enough to get that natural sustain that happens when the sound from the speakers mechanically couples with the resonance of the guitar. If I didn't care about sustain, then I probably never would have developed an appetite for nice compressors. The first time I plugged into a 5E3 Deluxe and cranked it up full blast and hit the notes, the sound was perfect sustain and perfect bite for awesome lead work, with no pedals. It was quite an eye opening experience.

The modded CS3, just about ANY mod, is a vast improvement. But I was impressed with it only until I got a Tone Press, followed by a CMATMODS Deluxe Comp. So I let my brother have the CS3. Allums was my source, very clear, easy, and effective.
soundchaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

I'll pit Wampler's CS-3 Mod against Allum's anyday. Allum's is alright-ish. Wampler's is a MASSIVE improvement. And replacing the key diodes with 1N34A
diodes puts it way over the top. There is probably a reason why so high profile players will use a Wampler modded CS-3.

And no, compressors were invented for guitar players who like the various qualities a compressor imparts on their guitar sound. What if you want to be able to crank your amp up and have everything wide open, but don't want the initial attack to cause your amp to break up? I accomplish a totally pristine clean sound by way of a compressor. And it fattens up the tone.

There are a million reasons why to use a compressor. some like 'em, some don't. It's highly subjective.

But what was the OP's original question? I think a direct answer is the polite thing in these cases.

Sorry if this offends, I don't mean to come off as rude.
Mumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I use a beat up stock Boss CS-2, and for certain things it sounds great. The Keeley is great, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Here's what I use a compressor pedal for----

1. I LIKE that it rolls high end off, so I can use it as a clean boost for the bridge pickup of a strat or tele.
2. Vol at 2 o'clock, Sustain at 10 o'clock, guitar's volume rolled back a hair for jangly, Byrdsy arpeggios
3. Vol at 2 o'clock, Sustain just past noon, in front of a cranked small tube amp for juicy slide tones a la Lowell George/Ry Cooder.

So there ya go. When I'm doing session work, it's very convenient to have a pedal-friendly amp, like Dr Z Maz 18 Jr or Burriss Royal Bluesman, into a versatile speaker like an Eminence Cannabis Rex. The amp set just on the edge of breakup. Germanium Fuss, Volume Pedal, Comp, Boost, OD, Vibe, Trem, Analog Delay, Reverb in the Chain for a whole lot of tonal options. A Strat, Tele, P90 guitar, Gretsch, Humbucker Guitar, Baritone, something funky for slide (Silvertone, Harmony)----i can cover almost anything from raunchy to country to modern atmosphere.

They're all just tools. If you want to play the Blues, get a Super or Vibrolux and turn it up to 7 and plug straight in. Freddie King didn't have any pedals!

But if you want to be a flexible modern guitarist, make yourself a nice pedalboard and experiment. Turn your guitar's volume up AND down in front of the Comp and OD----there are a lot more tones between 1 and 10 on that volume knob.

Enjoy...
willvis is offline   Reply With Quote