Country/ Chicken Pickin' Pedalboard - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 5th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Country/ Chicken Pickin' Pedalboard

I'm in the process of trying to put together a versatile pedalboard that will allow me to cover the gamut from Bakersfield/ Honky Tonk, Roy Buchanan/ Danny Gatton thru some of the more modern Alt Country ( think Drive-by Truckers) and Brent Mason/ Redd Volkaert/ Paisley-esque chicken pickin' tones. I'm running a Fender Custom Shop '52 Tele through a Fender 65' Reissue Twin Reverb. The pedals I have right now are a Wampler Ego Compressor, Way Huge Aqua Puss, Wampler Paisley Drive, MXR Handwired '74 Phase 90 Reissue, and a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. How important is it to add a decent volume pedal for volume swells, and maybe a Buffer/ clean boost along the lines of the Wampler Decibel. I understand that a lot of the sound will come from proper technique and practice, but nonetheless, I'd love to get some gear input and recommendations to help me complete by board. Thanks in advance!

grungytonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

vince gill and brent mason both use one of these, they leave it on 24/7 from what i know.

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423/

you might want to add a tremelo pedal though
I own a Tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You have all the essentials for a good country sound. Think of the compressor, overdrive, echo as the core of your sound end everything else is for variety. You need a volume pedal!! You think these things are worthless until you play live then they become invaluable. A good fuzz will help you with the DBT sound.
schromart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 5th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

We play similar type of music. As for boost, I've got an ep boost and like it a lot. It's small, so doesn't take up much real estate on the board. I also have an earnie ball volume pedal that I've been working with as of recent, but it hasn't made it onto the board yet. I'm still working with it. Takes some getting used to, but seems to really help with some steele licks from time to time.
jklotz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just keep one thing in mind, Don Rich, Roy Nichols, and James Burton didn't use any pedals or compressors (yuck). The just went straight to the amp and relied on their hands for pulling good tone. Too many younger pickers rely on their pedals way too much and a compressor thins out the tone way too much to my ears.
Eric Ellis
Eric Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I used a Wampler Tweed '57 or vintage RAT pedal with a DD3 for slapback and a Holy Grail for reverb in to a '68 Band Master or a '59 BMRI LTD.
sbpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

A good compressor that is not turned up too much can be a good thing for some country picking. A lot of guys will over compress so watch out for that. It sounds like you really have a nice set up already, just need to fine tune the pedal settings and practice. When I was playing country, I got to the point of using my dynacomp more for a solo boost then anything. A lot of guys like Redd Vilkaert use the volume knob on the guitar for volume swells, though I preferred to use a volume pedal mostly because I lost a but of my right hand pinky finger in an accident and it doesn't quite reach the volume knob too easy anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

Old January 5th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have a small, dedicated pedal board strictly for my country band. It's a TU2 tuner, MXR Super Comp, BBE Boosta Grande, Ibanez JD9 Jet Driver, Phase 90, Digitech Digidelay.

Works great for me.

We play country from 1995 backward. I also play a lot of alt country, Texas country, etc. Works good for that stuff too.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Also, really tired of hearing what the old guys did. The old guys did what they did, because that's what they had to work with. If all of the great gear from today had been available in 1966, don't think for a minute that all those guys wouldn't have used it. They were ground breaking players because they had a sense of adventure and weren't afraid to try things that weren't strictly traditional. Like Telecasters and amps. Those guys would have been all over this stuff had it been available to them. Don't fool yourself.

Sure, if you wanna sound exactly like 1966, you should probably use that gear. But don't ever let anyone tell you that you need to live in the stone age to make great sounding music. It's an idea that's just plain silly.

Old January 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Amen Jakedog!
davenumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedog View Post
Also, really tired of hearing what the old guys did. The old guys did what they did, because that's what they had to work with. If all of the great gear from today had been available in 1966, don't think for a minute that all those guys wouldn't have used it. They were ground breaking players because they had a sense of adventure and weren't afraid to try things that weren't strictly traditional. Like Telecasters and amps. Those guys would have been all over this stuff had it been available to them. Don't fool yourself.

Sure, if you wanna sound exactly like 1966, you should probably use that gear. But don't ever let anyone tell you that you need to live in the stone age to make great sounding music. It's an idea that's just plain silly.
Correct! James Burton Tells in his tutorial Vid that he imitated the delay effect that he had heard by using a picking technique, not knowing what had produced the sound.

Old January 5th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've done and still do a lot of chicken-pickin' with a Tele, Les Paul (P90s) and even my Jazzmaster. After a continual turnover with pedals in recent years, I seem to have settled on this simple setup: Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2 (with JHS boost mod)- Zoom MS70G- Digitech digital delay, all powered by a Joyo filtered power supply.
The Fulldrive works well as it is now a split pedal with the JHS mod, so I can just get a nice transparent boost alone, or kick in some subtle overdrive seperately, or put them both on. The Zoom is my tuner/ noise gate(always on), and tremelo and sounds great and takes up one pedal space. The Digitech delay is there for occasional rockabilly stuff or whatever. I've never liked compressors on live guitar.
NiceTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ontheB View Post
Correct! James Burton Tells in his tutorial Vid that he imitated the delay effect that he had heard by using a picking technique, not knowing what had produced the sound.
James has also been a long time fan and endorser of Lace Sensor pickups, and sounds great using them, even though we all know (because the internet told us) that those things sound awful! He also (gulp) has a sig. model that's a three pickup Tele with a modern radius and neck shape. Perish the thought! It's even got a (shudder) poly finish... O. M. G...

Ok, truthfully I've never been happy with Lace Sensors. But I can't argue with how James makes 'em sound!

Old January 5th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Ok, truthfully I've never been happy with Lace Sensors. But I can't argue with how James makes 'em sound!
We spend a lot of time talking about, 'tone,' but reality is that 90% of sounding good is tuning/intonation, technique, and fresh strings.

Case in point James Burton. Based on the specs, thay JB Tele should sound like hot garbage right? But oh how wrong you would be if you assumed that!!!
twangjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:

I would love to hear what some of the original Rockabilly cats would have done with Flangers, Chorus pedals and Phasers! Would they have used them? You betcha they would!

One RAT to rule them all, One RAT to find them,
One RAT to distort them all and in the darkness drive them
In the Land of MoreTubes where the overtones lie.
RetroTeleRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTeleRod View Post
I would love to hear what some of the original Rockabilly cats would have done with Flangers, Chorus pedals and Phasers! Would they have used them? You betcha they would!
Duane Eddie with a phaser? Oh yeah. That would be amazing.