Boss BD2 Mods - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 31st, 2006, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Boss BD2 Mods

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Keeley
Phat mod or the H20 Allums mod for the BD2?

I ordered a mod kit for my CS3 just waiting for it
to arrive.

Thanks In advance,

Jeff

P.S. I hope for good feedback on this because I bought the BD2 just to do the mods Insane!
I got bored and the mods look like fun to install.

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I can't comment on the full mod, and it may be much better than my experience, but reading from Robert Keeley's website, I replaced C14 on mine to try and get a little more low end out of it. Unfortunately, it resulted in more, but looser lows, so I switched back. I may eventually try something in between the stock 470pf and the reccomended .1uf, but as it was, I didn't care for it too much.

Again though, there may be more to the full Keeley Phat mod that makes up for this.

It was my first pedal mod though, so I'm just happy it still passes signal...

"...Because we all expect the truth, we must be the best of fools."
- Stiff Little Fingers
Ben Harmless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Jeff.

I have the keeley Phat mod BD-2 I got a few weeks ago. (I traded my Keeley RAT) for it. Very happy with the trade. However, I never had a stock BD-2 so i can;t give you a full report.

BUT I really like the Keeley BD-2. It retains low end fantastically. and has a HUGE amount of output to it. Set as a clean boost. Level cranked. Gain all the way down it does a great job of kicking my Marshall past 11. increase the gain and it really changes. THe gain can get up into fuzz/slight octave tones. Say Level: 1:00, Gain 3:00 its better sounding fuzz to me than my old fulltone '69 was. ANd it cleans up brilliantly with the volume knob on you guit.

the bass booster switch is nice and subtle. Soemtimes its appropriate, and sometimes I leave it off.

one of my fav. settings for lead is level cranked. Gain all the way down, Tone all the way down for a meaty thick lead tone.

It's not officially on my small pedalboard, but when I start gigging regularly again, it very well might be.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

When my BD2 crapped out after a few short months of service I was about to toss it in the trash. I never liked the damn thing. The stock BD2 has a very harsh, nasal OD sound that is quite grating on the ears.

I stumbled on Analogman's website and saw his mods for the BD2. He described everything I disliked about the BD2 and how his mods would fix it.

He was absolutely right. My BD2 thoroughly kicks ass now and grinds out a sweet OD tone while producing a nice, thick low end. It's great for those stinging rock solos in a 3 piece band where you need a fat tone solo tone in the absence of a second rythm guitar. Well worth the money.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I like the stock BD-2...

I really like the stock BD-2's... But I am primarily on the neck pup or in the middle position. I use it as a clean boost with hair, stock it has the gain structure that sounds like kaka with a bridge pup, but I like the gain structure with the neck pup. It also has a lot of presence and boost, which I love.

That being said, I had the AM modded one and it was great as well. The main differences were that the gain is much smoother and the tone knob becomes more useable. With the gain down they sounded pretty similar, though the AM seemed to be just a hair clearer. I also A/B'ed the AM mod with a Keeley with the Phat mod(this was installed as a switch so you could turn the Phat mod on or off). They were very similar, identical really, except that the gain floor was higher on the Keeley. The Phat mod was cool, especially for using a trebly bridge pickup, but was not useful for me as a neck position player (well, live anyway - it was cool for sitting and noodling or recording for sure).
John E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2006, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

That makes perfect sense to me John E since, in my rock bands, I am primarily a bridge pick up player with a smattering of middle position thrown in for good measure.

www.telenator.com

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The first mod I'm doing is the cs3 mod from Monte Allums, I'm anxious to hear the difference.

I bought the bd2 (new) off ebay on the "buy it now" button for 58 beans.

The mod I'm getting for the bd2 is the h20 mod.
It's 21 beans so if they are that good, that's a bargain
IMO.

Jeff

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telenator
That makes perfect sense to me John E since, in my rock bands, I am primarily a bridge pick up player with a smattering of middle position thrown in for good measure.
true true. I too am a Bridge pup guy. no middle or neck. at least not live. so that is perhaps why i like the keeley mod. But yeah a more trebly stock one would probably sound wonderful on the neck pup.

Old January 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it took me a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by halouis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telenator
true true. I too am a Bridge pup guy. no middle or neck. at least not live. so that is perhaps why i like the keeley mod. But yeah a more trebly stock one would probably sound wonderful on the neck pup.
Took me a while to figure out why I was liking pedals and pickups that other players weren't (and vice versa) on this site. I only use the bridge pickup live maybe 2% of my live playing. I'm convinced that the BD-2 was created with neck pup players in mind... also I use an amp that has a fair amount of mids so I always hated Tube Screamers/clones and Klon/clones until I figured out that "Hey, these sound pretty damn good thru a Fender amp!" LOL. My current live sound is basically fat clean with hair for rhythm and varying degrees of boost and dirt for leads, all on the neck pickup. I'm on the bridge/middle pup for real dirty leads though as the neck can sometimes get lost or muddy... I have a feeling if I played with another electric player in Hieroglyph that would change though... now I'm only competeing with Bass, Acoustic guitar, drums, and vocals.... for Sundad it's all acoustic so no worries there... LOL!

P.S. - I forgot to mention that I asked Keeley why his BD-2 mod was more gainy than the AM mod... he explained that he designed it to clean up for people that use their vol knob on the guitar. Made sense to me...
John E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2006, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I will report

The results when both mods arrive, I have two of them
to modify so it may be a few days even after they arrive.

The CS3 is first, then the BD2.
Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Jeff

Old February 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I play in 4 bands and use a lot of different guitars and amps on gigs.

For my rock band, I play mainly on the bridge p'up through a 50 watt JCM800 combo. I like a little grit in my sound, but not too much. I would rather play a sound that cuts better at low volume, than have to jack up the sound so a saturated OD tone will be heard. I play pretty clean as rock players go. This works great with my modded BD2 and modded TS9 for those times when I need a solo boost. My sound remains present and cutting with both pedals because I keep the gain pretty low on the amp.

For the blues band I play with I use the neck p'up almost exclusively. I'll bring my '77 Deluxe Reverb or my Allen Accomplice and set up a nice, clean sound (with a little hair), and again only use the OD pedals for a solo boost. Since my blues set-up is clean and biased towards the neck p'up tone, I don't even have to change the settings on my OD pedals. I use the BD2 for a cleaner, fatter, boost and the TS9 when I need the "sizzle."

For the 8 piece "Brass & Roll" band I gig with, I use all pick up switch settings and play through the Marshall or my Rivera Chubster 40. The channel switching on the Rivera gives me everything from Marshall rip to Fender clean, and all sounds inbetween. Here again, both the modded pedals work great although the Rivera tends to have a bit more ambient gain to it, so I set the gain on both pedals a bit lower so I don't lose my "cut" during solos. The Rivera also tends to saturate with low end pretty easily too, to a little tweak on the BD2 tone knob is always in order.

Every Thursday I play in a host band for an open mic where the versatility of these two pedals really shines. I can tote along my Super Reverb, or my Deluxe and cover all the sounds I'll ever need for this type of gig. One minute we're playing a clean Stones' country sound and the next we're doing Stone Temple Pilots. Granted, it's not the best set-up for all sounds, but it gets close enough for the folks at the open mic.

I love this stuff! We have such a great variety of gear available to us now and producing a variety of killer tones has never been easier!

www.telenator.com