Little Bear rat clone - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Little Bear rat clone

(Not Small Bear)

Anyone have any experience? Thanks

blowtorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Is that the one that says something like "R.ATTACK" on the front?.
I bid on one and got it cheap, it comes with no instructions, it has 3 different settings, marked "Dir", "Tur", and "Vin". To me, the middle "Tur" setting sounds most like a regular Rat pedal, even though you'd think "Tur" would mean Turbo. I have no idea what "Dir" means, but it sounds like the tone controls have been disconnected in that mode, it's not as loud but sounds more Big Muff-like to me. The "Vin" setting sounds a bit thinner and less Rat-like than the "Tur" setting. It does have the 308 chip in it, but I don't know how the circuit compares to other real Rats. It seems to be well-made, but I sure would like to know what the different settings really are supposed to be!. No documentation at all. For the cheap price I got it for, I though it was worth a try. The guy (in China) sells them buy-it-now for around $60, I got mine for about a third of that by bidding.

The funny thing was that the pics and description in the first auctions for the pedal said that it was "ture bypass" (it even showed it saying that on the pedal in the pic), but when I got mine that little screw-up wasn't printed on the pedal. Someone must have corrected the guy's English along the line.

I found the auction for the pedal direct from China, now it says that "Dir" means "Dirty", so I guess it's supposed to be like the "You Dirty Rat" pedal. I have of those, so I'll try to compare it. I don't think the "vintage" setting really sounds like a vintage Rat, as I said the "Tur" setting sounds most like my Rat II from the late 80's:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-and-B...item19e189607e

Al
zombiwoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

zombiwoof, yes, that's the one i was wondering about, thanks

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 5th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think the "ture bypass" was something they put on the photo, not the actual pedal

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowtorch View Post
I think the "ture bypass" was something they put on the photo, not the actual pedal
It actually showed "ture bypass" on the pic of the pedal (next to the switch), but they later changed the auction pic (after I bought mine) and removed it. I'm pretty sure it said it on the first pedals. Whatever, I thought it was funny. They also have added the description of the three modes to the auction now, it wasn't there before.

Al

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

zombi, heh.
Have you messed with yours lately?
I've been trying to snag one of these on the cheap, to check it out.

Old September 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowtorch View Post
zombi, heh.
Have you messed with yours lately?
I've been trying to snag one of these on the cheap, to check it out.
To tell you the truth, I got it, played it once to make sure it worked, looked inside it and haven't gotten around to using it any more since then!. Just haven't had the time. I have an old Rat II, a "You Dirty Rat", and a "Vintage Rat", when I have the time I'll compare them to the modes on the R.Attack and see how they match up. My first impression was that the second mode (Tur) was the best sounding one, the first and third modes were weaker in output and I'm not sure that they really nail the sounds they are trying to emulate. I'll try to play around with it some more and get a better idea soon as I can.

Al

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

zombiwoof, thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion on how it stacks up to the originals.

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I just scored one of these on eBay for $20 + S/H.

Interestingly enough I was actually looking for the 308 chip for a RAT build I am doing myself, but for that price you really can't go wrong.

I am assuming the 3-way switch is just diode clipping, but I'll have to take a closer look once it gets here. It looks like the LED's inside the box are wired to work off of the overdrive diodes, sort of like Beavis Audio's FKR build. Not too sure if the LED's are a part of the gain circuit in this case, or just there for show.

In any case, could be cool to poke around in this one before I do my own build.

I'll post when it arrives and I figure out what they have going on.
woodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

woodward you beat me on that auction! the seller keeps relisting the auction every 24 hours, I'm trying to see how cheap I can get one. Looks like when you include the shipping, just a couple bucks under the normal $45 of his BIN auction (which ships free) is what they are going for, pretty consistently.

I'm anxious for you to let us know what you think once you get it!

Old September 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I wouldn't assume that it has a real LM308 chip in it. With the real LM308s going for $5 apiece, there is a huge incentive for the crafty chinese counterfeiters to relabel a 10 cent chip. If you look closely at the chip in that ebay ad, the motorola logo is not correct and the type font is also wrong.

If you want to know if the LEDs are really used for clipping, look a them while playing and they will light up when they clip the signal.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

@blowtorch
Sorry for beating you out! I was tense there for the last minute or so.

@luckett
Looks like they're using LM308AN's. Current production, cost-effective versions of the original. I've heard that they sound near-on identical, especially if you tweak the circuit a bit.

I'm not one to buy into old part "mojo" anyways. I mean, sure they're made in China, but what isn't these days?
woodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodward View Post
@luckett
Looks like they're using LM308AN's. Current production, cost-effective versions of the original. I've heard that they sound near-on identical, especially if you tweak the circuit a bit.

I'm not one to buy into old part "mojo" anyways. I mean, sure they're made in China, but what isn't these days?

Motorola doesn't even make IC chips anymore, so any claimed current production chips with a Motorola logo are fake. I don't think there is any manufacturer currently making an LM308.

I'm not saying there is mojo in the LM308, just that the ones they are putting in there are fake LM308s. It's probably a relabeled OP07, which sounds fine in a rat, but it's not a real LM308.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodward View Post
I just scored one of these on eBay for $20 + S/H.

Interestingly enough I was actually looking for the 308 chip for a RAT build I am doing myself, but for that price you really can't go wrong.

I am assuming the 3-way switch is just diode clipping, but I'll have to take a closer look once it gets here. It looks like the LED's inside the box are wired to work off of the overdrive diodes, sort of like Beavis Audio's FKR build. Not too sure if the LED's are a part of the gain circuit in this case, or just there for show.

In any case, could be cool to poke around in this one before I do my own build.

I'll post when it arrives and I figure out what they have going on.
There at one point was an explanation for the 3-way switch in the auction (now I don't see it, although he now has a YouTube video link to hear the pedal), the "Dir" setting (pos 1), is supposed to be the "You Dirty Rat" setting, in that case it would have germanium diodes if it really copies the YDR.

The second setting ("Tur") is supposed to be like a Turbo Rat. I don't know how the Turbo Rat differs from a Rat II (does it use LED clippers?). Funny thing is, as I've said, is that this setting sounds most like a standard LM308 RatII to me, but I've never tried a Turbo Rat. Maybe it's just the way I'm setting the controls.

The third setting ("Vin") is supposed to be the Vintage Rat mode, this I don't understand as it just sounds thinner to me. I'll play around with the settings some more, but at first listen it didn't impress me much.

And in reference to the big deal about whether or not it has a real 308 chip in it, the seller claims they are vintage 90's chips.

Al

Old September 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If anyone who has one of these and also has an actual rat could do a A/B listening comparison and let us know the results, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks

Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Well I finally "won" one of the auctions for one of these , 27.45 shipped. I've seen them go as low as less than 22 bucks

Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

it arrived, haven't had a chance to try it yet, though

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

it sounds great!

Old November 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Using it last night in a loud band setting it sounded great BUT the little toggle switch (to choose which mode you want the pedal to operate in) is so close to the footswitch that I kept hitting it when I switched the pedal on or off. This is problematic since some mode settings are a LOT quieter than others

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I was going to build one myself, got all the parts together, even bought a bunch of national semiconductor lm308's and then I saw this on ebay. Cheaper to purchase then to build.

I exchanged emails with the seller and did confirm it was an actual motorola lm308an. I even swapped it out for one of my chips (lm308n), and found no recognizable change in sound.

The reason the dirty rat setting has a drop in volume is because the diode is a germanium device 1n34 hence the drop. The tubro rat setting uses red leds for the clipping stage, on this setting you can see them visually clipping. The vintage rat setting uses 1n4148 or 1n914 for the clipping section.

And yes, this sounds exactly like a rat should sound. I'm impressed considering how affordable the unit costs.
Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote