Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 26th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive

I was using a standard blues issue Tube Screamer on my strat and one of the sales people from a local music store let me try out the Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive pedal...and man..I've been in heaven ever since.

I love the three band EQ of the Daddy-O over the Tube Screamer's tone control. It lets you get a lot more tonal range and a lot moore ooomph than my old Tube screamer!

Any others out there who like this pedal???

Old June 26th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Won one at fendertalk a year ago. I dig it (it's my only external effect), though many seem to prefer something else over it. My Behringer modeling amp doesn't give the nice smooth valve like break-up for solos, and the Daddy-O delivers... at least to my ears. Looking to get more of Dan-Echo sometime.

Just gotta love all the pseudo vintage bs they throw. :D

Old June 26th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Funny that this box frequently gets compared to a TS...

I got one for free a year or so ago. Just for kicks I opened it up to check inside, and things looked rather Tube Screamer-ish. Kinda funny, since there is always the comparison there. There are even alot of TS players who rag on the Daddy-O pretty bad! The Daddy-O even comes with a good opamp chip (TL072, I believe) that is on par with the most expensive TS's and TS clones. Even the real Ibanez TS5's and TS7's don't come with the 'coveted chip'. FWIW I think that most of the opamp chip stuff is urban legend. I put over a half a dozen different ones in a TS a few years ago and they all sounded good, or extremely similar. Some were under a buck from Radio Shack!

To my ears a well tweaked TS has caps swapped out in it to give it a more rounded sound and a tone knob that is actually functional. Or you can just go out and grab a Daddy-O for peanuts, and enjoy the fact that it has separate eq for bass, mid, and treble! Nothing to modify!

It's amazing that this pedal isn't even at least seen as on par with the TS. If SRV or Eric Johnson used one though they'd be going for about 300 bucks apiece right now...

11 Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old June 26th, 2003, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

love my daddy o

the dady can hang with most overdrives on the market and if it breaks down its sure easy to replace,also just how often does anyone other than our own buddies come up and care about whatever your playin in a bar. most people i talk to just wanna request a song they want to hear. i think most gear out there is over hyped and over priced and all us players fall into that trap of wanting the perfect vintage whatever or the newest thing just so we can show off to some guy we proably dont care for anyway.any gear is better than no gear and any gig is better than no gig.ill shut up now and go play my guitar.

Old June 27th, 2003, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great overdrive pedal..

Cheap and very well made IMHO better than the latest BOSS and IBANEZ offerings.One of the great advantages of the DADDY O is its HUGE output,something you can't find in a tubescreamer.It is also very well built and looks way better!
Funny how some people put down cheap equipment without trying it!I have replaced the Daddy O in my pb w/ a Jeckyl+Hyde AFTER I've recorded an album 2 years ago and when the record came out and I was listening it w/ a friend of mine who is a boutique pedal snob he told me "wow now this is a Great od sound didn't I tell you that the J+H would be WAY better than the Daddy-o?!!".Of course on the recording it WAS the Daddy-O.
Well what can I say some people listen w/ their eyes!

http://superfunk12.com/
Nick Fanis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2003, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Glad to hear I'm not only one liking it! :D It's cheap in only the right way!

Old June 27th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think Maxon should buy the rights to it

Then they could call it the "Turbo TS808" which basically what the pedal is. Then not only would they directly compete with the Ibanez TS9, but they could charge at least double what the Ibanez Turbo TS costs. And they would be lifted to holy grail status, because they say Maxon on them. Maxon could replace the perfectly fine TL072s with the magic "brown sound" opamps and advertise it as a vintage TS with extra gain - the way it would have been way back when. Just by throwing in the term brown sound they could up the cost at least an extra 50 bucks (which is still less than what people charge to throw a "brown sound" chip in an existing pedal).

Man...$$$ galore for greedy companies to be made! But alas... eventually some folks would realize that we get just as good of tones with our Daddy-Os (at which point Danelectro would no longer be able to sell them for just 60 bucks a pop) and we would be forced to sell them for $300 a piece just to further the whole holy grail/urban legend/tone is in the eyes (of the poor shmuck staring at your pedalboard) thing. Sad...

I think I'll start my own urban legend that Eric Johnson is actually exclusively using a pedal that is a just a boutique box with the guts of a Daddy-O stuffed in it. And that he actually thinks that the TL072 is clearly a better sounding chip than all the other opamps out there. Wouldn't that be silly (and extremely wrong)?

Old June 27th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Got to go against the tide on this one; the Daddyo was my first foray into the world of OD pedals after I got out of the multiEFX floor unit stage(Zoom,Digitech,etc.). The price was cheap, and so was the construction(INSIDE, not out; they are real cool looking and built pretty well outside). Crapped out in about a year, so I picked up a few more along the way. IMHO, ALL have been preferable to my taste than the Daddyo. I kind of like the simplicity of having ONE tone control vs. the 3 on the Daddyo that are SUCH A PAIN TO TWEAK!
Having said that, they DO sell real cheap on ebay, and if YOU like the way they perform and sound, that's all that matters.
sound dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

such a pain ?

im sorry sound dog but you cracked me up with your such a pain to tweak comment.i wonder how many knobs are on your amp? please dont get angry with me i just thought what you said was funny. peace and twang on!

Old June 29th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Clarified

When I said the controls were a pain to tweak, I meant that they are not the most finger-friendly controls out there; a bit too close together for my liking, and I don't have real large digits, either.
sound dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'm so glad...

that it doesn't take long to get naysayers in on the discussion of this pedal. It will always keep them cheap and plentiful for the rest of us for whom they are reliable, sound good (even on a recording that a boutique pedal junkie thought in one case wasn't even a DaddyO!).

I like the not reliable argument best of all. These things are so cheap and plentiful that reliability almost becomes a moot point. It at least should diminish, given the # of folks who have already been gigging with the same one for years.

As far as too many knobs, it's funny that there was finally an opamp based OD pedal offered that addressed the issue of being able to really adjust the eq in all 3 different registers - bass, mid, and treble. One of the biggest complaints with the TS using crowd. But Danelectro also offered more gain - something that yet another part of the TS crowd always wanted. Lastly, they built it stock with a good, good good opamp. Maybe not a holy grail chip, but one that has the stamp of approval from some really smart pedal builders out there.

Did Danelectro use boutique quality parts? No. Is the switch true bypass? No. Will it last as long as, say, a Fulltone pedal? Probably not, but even stuff on the boutique stuff breaks too. No amount of money will guarantee that your pedal won't go down in the middle of a gig.

If nothing else though, the pedal is definitely a great start. I am really grateful to Danelectro for making this pedal. But I'm just as grateful that so many people have turned their backs on them. I guess right now my biggest nightmare would be that Keeley or Analog Man will start offering them as modded pedals, if they don't already. I mean, look at the Blues Driver. Now that it's seen as having a cool circuit and can be modified to take it from decent to incredible, so many people gotta have 'em.

I hope the masses remain ignorant about the numerous positives of the DaddyO.

Old July 1st, 2003, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
bo
Friend of Leo's

Tubescreamers and Daddy-Os are apples and oranges. The Daddy-O can't begin to do the sublte stuff a TS can, and a TS can't provide the flatout wallop of the Dano. I plug in my Daddy-O for the really loud, barre chord floggin' stuff and keep the Tubescreamer for roots rock.
bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2003, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

stock maybe so...

...but after a few cheap and easy tweaks my DanO can do both. Not surprising, since the DanO circuit is more TS than alot of people realize. with that in mind it really isn't apples to oranges, but more like golden delicious as opposed to granny smith. different yes, but both opamp ODs with alot in common. The basic TS circuit has to be the most borrowed design i've ever seen. probably because it's so simple and easy to improve upon. everyone may not agree with me, but i still feel like the TSs biggest limitation, stock, is the way it kills the bottom end, and how unflexible the single tone control is. the tone control reminds me of all the cheap car stereos i've had over the years, where all i could do was dial out the top end. i would always end up with nothing but midrange frequencies and not enough definition.
Along came the DaddyO and all this was addressed. and i am so thankful. i will never have to settle for a TS any more.
i still think that if Maxon offered this pedal that people would view it way different. but i'm still glad they don't and never will. more for me, for cheap!