What effect was used on Nazareth's Love Hurts? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 18th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What effect was used on Nazareth's Love Hurts?

You know, the arpeggiated main riff. Flanger, Leslie or just plain chorus? What do you use to play the song?

Cheers,

Johan.

BTW, I'm building my first pedalboard in over 10 years. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

Old September 19th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi Johan,

Check out mannycharlton.com for some great info on the guy who played that classic riff!!! He stated in a message board post regarding gear he used on Naz's "Hair of the Dog" as "...My Les Paul Custom/Fender Strat(for slide) into Univibe into Echoplex into Solasound Fuzz box into 1971 Marshall 100 watt Super Lead..."

Hope this helps!!!

g-b
Gopher-Broke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey thanks for that link man! I asked the question on his forum and the man himself responded within 2 hours! It was an old Univibe alright. Could this be recreated using a chorus pedal, or would I have to get something like a Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe?

Cheers,

J.J.

www.6pack.be - a rock band from Belgium

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 19th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well...The debate rages on to consider the end-all of "All Things Swirly". To accurately reproduce that sound, I would go for the same tools. An extremely close approximation for , let's say a live gig, can be done with a little grit on the front end of the pedal chain (a Tube Screamer or equivalent would do nicely), then a slow/mid swirl from a good chorus or vibe pedal in to a touch of 250ms delay and a small bit of 'verb should get you in the ball park. From my experience, the Line 6 MM4 has a lot of bang for the buck, doing vibe, chorus, etc...Go to RobertKeeley.com and check out his mod for that pedal. I had it done to my DL4, and it really opened up the sonic palette of the unit. I think the MM4 would benefit greatly from the same mod, and it's only $100.00 to get it done to your pedal. MM4's can be found for $125.00 up on ebay. When you add the $100.00 mod to it, you're up around $250.00, and any respectable vibe or chorus will cost nearly that new, and they will be a "One Trick Pony".

So much for my opinions... ;)

Best of Luck...Glad you got to hear from Manny directly!

g-b
Gopher-Broke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've found exactly what I was looking for...

... and it's in my old Arion SCH-1. Used in stereo mode but with only the wet output (B) connected, rate on 9:00, depth on 10:00 and tone all the way down, the Arion gives me a very close approximation of the Univibe swirl Manny Charlton used on Love Hurts. Doesn't sound like a chorus at all. The Arion does suck quite some tone, so I'm gonna get me a loooper to take it out of my signal chain when I'm not using it.

Cheers,

J.J.

www.6pack.be - Sixpack, a rock band from Belgium