Anyone using 2 delays in their rig? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Anyone using 2 delays in their rig?

I want to know how you are running yours, I have one in the loop of my amp practically always on but I can switch the loop on/off from the amps channel selector. The other is on my pedalboard last in the chain after my other effects.
The one in the loop is sitting ontop of my amp, I'm pretty much using the other delay for a specific sound and more if I want to fiddle with the settings.
People with 2 delays on the board how are you using them - together at the same time or similar settings different tempos? In front of dirt vs behind ?

damaged is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have two. One is set up for slapback and the other is set up as an effect (very short delay with feedback - sounds like a ring mod).

I don't use them together and they are both in the effects loop of the wet amp. The other amp runs dry.

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've used an MXR Carbon Copy set short-ish and a few repeats into a Boss DD-5 set for longer (longer than the MXR, anyway) delay times and one or two repeats for a long time. When combined it gives the impression that I'm using reverb without actually using reverb; I never use reverb live but there are moments during gigs that call for some ambiance. I don't use them together often; the MXR is almost always on and the DD-5 only gets kicked on for those special situations.

They're always behind dirt (I set any amp I'm playing through as clean as it'll get) and always the last effects in my chain.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have an Ibanez AD-9 set for an ambient delay and a Boss DD-20 for the wackier, dotted-eighth note stuff.

I also got a M13 and you can set that up with 4 delays going at the same time. Will have to try that sometime.
Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

rockin 3. dd6, always changing the settings, tech 21 boost dla w/out tap tempo for some wicked gilmour sounds, and a dl4 for looping and then a bunch of other sounds. love delay. a buddy of mine has an old red boss delay he is gonna send me here soon. cant wait. that will knock the dd6 outta the way
jeb stuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm running my WH Supa-Puss and SD Deja Vu together in the effects loop of my amp. The Supa-Puss is used for my dotted eighth delay and my Deja Vu is for my quarter note delay. Both have great modulation on them, and I'll sometimes run 'em both during slow songs.

If I had room I would throw my Carbon Copy on my board to have a long delay because the Deja Vu is set somewhat short. I like to "set and forget" my pedals but still have some options when playing live.
Mr. Manager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I use two. An Ibanez AD-9 for short delay, like slapback or echo on leads, and a Boss DD-5 for longer and dotted 8th stuff. Plus the DD-5 has a tap tempo.

One day I'd like to replace them both with one decent digi-delay with presets and built in tap, like an Eventide Timefactor or an Empress VMSD.
Miza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yup, my pedal board has two delay pedals for a rhythm loop and a lead loop, that I switch with an A/B pedal. I use the boost on my rhythm EQ, so that I can switch in the middle of a song and have similar volume output. I like a touch of ambience, so I normally adjust both of them with minimal repeats and minimal mix, but both are always on unless I'm using reverb on lead or recording on separate tracks, then I play dry.
Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yup, have a good selection of delay..,

MXR Carbon Copy
TC Electronic Flashback
Line6 M9 (used more for mod and filters than delays)
seventyeight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I also use a dd5 and ad9. The dd5 is primarily for dotted eigth or quarter note delays, with the occassional reverse delay use. The ad9 is set more for a slapback delay to thicken things up. The ad9 has also been modded to self oscillate, but I only do that at home for the heck of it, never live.
CAAD8N8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have 3. One on a mid length delay which is what i use 90% of the time. Another set faster which I only stack on top of the first (never use on own) and another used on a 'Hold' setting to loop what I'm getting from the other one/two.

Make sense when put into context that I play post rock/ ambient stuff. I only have one dirt pedal (big muff) which is before these in the chain .
iheartreverb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I use two. One for slap back and one set long for Gilmore type sounds.

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miza View Post
I use two. An Ibanez AD-9 for short delay, like slapback or echo on leads, and a Boss DD-5 for longer and dotted 8th stuff. Plus the DD-5 has a tap tempo.

One day I'd like to replace them both with one decent digi-delay with presets and built in tap, like an Eventide Timefactor or an Empress VMSD.
Don't dump that AD-9 anytime soon. I find there's an analog warmth to that pedal the digital boxes have a hard time replicating. That's why the AD-9 has stayed on my board, even though the DD-20 can technically do anything the Ibanez does.
Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have just one, but it's got dual delays and 100 presets...
Frodebro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I am.
I run a Eventide TimeFactor for rhythmic/longer delays and a Echorec for... Echorec sounds

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I run two as well, a Boss DD3 for solo's and a Boss DD7 for comping with the 70 Vibrolux amp.
Once in a while I will use an old DM2 in the front end of my Mesa 525 and the DD3 or 7 in the effects loop.
Pete W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

i have 5 or 6 delay pedals ... sometimes i like to hook them all together on the longest delay settings ... then i hit a chord and hear it half an hour later ...

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yup, I run 2. DD3 before the volume pedal set for a short, single repeat, not quite slapback, more of a stutter. Then a Carbon Copy after the volume pedal for ambient modulated longer repeats.

Old February 6th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Line 6 DL-4 and Wampler Faux Tape Echo w/ Tap

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I run two, one for slap the other for a modulated tape delay used for ballads mostly.
Deep South is offline   Reply With Quote