NPD (delayed): Phase 45 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Recently picked up a used MXR Phase 45 RI and I'm diggin' it! I've had the Script Phase 90 before, but it was stolen, so this time I figured I'd try something different. I had been looking for a new phase pedal for a few weeks that would allow me to get the mid-70s Waylon hybrid picking sound and to add some color to some Stones-ish riffs I do. This is by far the most usable phaser I've played. Unlike the Phase 90, I can use a lot of different settings. It's obviously not as "deep" as a 90 or 100, but it's more "musical" for my needs because it doesn't completely dominate my sound. I can still here Tele-tweed tone as a backbone, but with some tasteful color and even vibe-ish tones in it. And fwiw, I like this pedal more than a Phase 90 for the Waylon stuff.

Anyone else have love for this phase pedal?

"I've always been crazy; it's kept me from going insane."- Ol' Waylon
Gringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great pedal. It was the first pedal I ever bought, back in 1980 when I was 16. I wish I had that original still. Gonna grab the reissue soon, for the memories. I played in the high school jazz band and the Phase 45 was my stock rhythm effect. Sounded pretty cool for my pseudo jazz soloing too.
JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That's a really cool pedal, congrats.
Iago is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

congrats

Congrats. Recently I got phaser for myself (BOSS PH-3) - it is really cool effect if used in tasteful manner, but now I'm in my "phaser everywhere" phase

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've been using a mojohand nebula, which is supposedly a phase 45 clone. It certainly is more subtle and musical than the phase 90s I've tried. I'll be curious to hear the RI as the nebula has a noticeable volume drop - I usually hit it in tandem with a boost. I wonder if the MXR RI has this issue.
tjalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a phase 45 clone and its fun. It has to be kept on its own loop however because even though its true bypass, somehow it still wobbles a bit when off.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalla View Post
I've been using a mojohand nebula, which is supposedly a phase 45 clone. It certainly is more subtle and musical than the phase 90s I've tried. I'll be curious to hear the RI as the nebula has a noticeable volume drop - I usually hit it in tandem with a boost. I wonder if the MXR RI has this issue.
I was on the market for the Nebula first, but then realized it was a clone of the Phase 45, so I kept an eye open for a good deal on either of them. Both are great. There is a perceived volume drop with the MXR, but it's not extreme in my rig. I can't tell if it is actually a volume drop or if maybe it just slightly dampens some of the high frequencies. The truth will show up when I hear it in a band setting this week.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpis View Post
Congrats. Recently I got phaser for myself (BOSS PH-3) - it is really cool effect if used in tasteful manner, but now I'm in my "phaser everywhere" phase
Yeah, I've been in that "phase" (pun intended) before. It's fun, but becomes overkill pretty easily. It's important to figure out which of your songs may sound better with color added to some rhythms and which songs are allergic to phase. Haha

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchie View Post
I have a phase 45 clone and its fun. It has to be kept on its own loop however because even though its true bypass, somehow it still wobbles a bit when off.
I could hear the same with my Phase 90. Is the 45 really true bypass??
Iago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post

Analogman and some clone versions of the 45 are true bypass, but the stock MXR 45 is not.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post

My clone is suppose to be, ive never opened it though to see. It sounds good and it was cheap so i can live with having to run it through a loop.

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I recently picked up a Phase 45 reissue as well. Gotta say; I've never owned a phaser and I totally dig this pedal. I used to own a Deja Vibe and never really bonded with it (not sure why).
I went back and forth on whether or not to get the script 45 or 90. I came to the conclusion that I only like the 90 on very subtle settings, while the 45 sounded good at every setting. To me, the 45 can go from phaser, vibe and almost Leslie settings. When you turn it on, it doesn't sound like some crazy effect- it just sounds so musical. I've been playing tunes from Dark Side of the Moon on it and it just kills.
Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephens View Post
I recently picked up a Phase 45 reissue as well. Gotta say; I've never owned a phaser and I totally dig this pedal. I used to own a Deja Vibe and never really bonded with it (not sure why).
I went back and forth on whether or not to get the script 45 or 90. I came to the conclusion that I only like the 90 on very subtle settings, while the 45 sounded good at every setting. To me, the 45 can go from phaser, vibe and almost Leslie settings. When you turn it on, it doesn't sound like some crazy effect- it just sounds so musical. I've been playing tunes from Dark Side of the Moon on it and it just kills.
I agree... I only dig the Block and Script 90 on subtle settings, but can use the 45 through a much wider range. It definitely doesn't smother my sound like a 90. Have you noticed much of a volume drop? Congrats on your pedal.

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had the 45 for several years, great for a minimalist type setup--fuzz, crybaby, phaser and it all fit in the back of the amp.

Now I have a Maestro Stage Phaser, I don't use it much, but when I do.....
Octave Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I recently also picked up a slightly used Custom Shop MXR Phase 45, and I love it!. It really can get close to Univibe-like sounds when used with an OD pedal, I can get away with playing stuff like "Bridge of Sighs" and get close enough when I don't have my Mojo Vibe around. Not quite as intense wobble as a Vibe clone, but it will do in a pinch. I don't think the reissue is true bypass, the original definitely wasn't, and I think Dunlop is keeping them close to the originals with the recent Custom Shop reissues.

Al
zombiwoof is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo13 View Post
I agree... I only dig the Block and Script 90 on subtle settings, but can use the 45 through a much wider range. It definitely doesn't smother my sound like a 90. Have you noticed much of a volume drop? Congrats on your pedal.
I guess is haven't noticed a big volume drop. I'm pretty picky about maintaining a strong signal through the chain of pedals I currently use, and I'm still happy keeping it in the chain even when it's off.
Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephens View Post

I guess is haven't noticed a big volume drop. I'm pretty picky about maintaining a strong signal through the chain of pedals I currently use, and I'm still happy keeping it in the chain even when it's off.
I haven't noticed much volume drop or "tone suck" either. I do have mine placed behind a a good buffered pedal because I've heard some of the MXR stuff can suck tone. But honestly, that's just precaution because I don't think I even have the ears to notice. Haha

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiwoof View Post
I recently also picked up a slightly used Custom Shop MXR Phase 45, and I love it!. It really can get close to Univibe-like sounds when used with an OD pedal, I can get away with playing stuff like "Bridge of Sighs" and get close enough when I don't have my Mojo Vibe around. Not quite as intense wobble as a Vibe clone, but it will do in a pinch. I don't think the reissue is true bypass, the original definitely wasn't, and I think Dunlop is keeping them close to the originals with the recent Custom Shop reissues.

Al
I feel like the Phase 45 is extremely underrated. The versatility is awesome. Have you considered the "vibe mod"? I doubt I'll need it, but it seems pretty cool.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo13 View Post
I feel like the Phase 45 is extremely underrated.
I think it's like most other types of pedals - folks want a range that falls outside the borders of what's usable, whether they first realize it or not. Hence the popularity of the P90 et al.

General Guitar Gadgets has a P45 kit, and I got their bare PCB a few years back. I would have rolled a PCB from scratch, but it just made sense to grab theirs and pay them the bucks they deserved for coming up with a decent and compact layout.

...It's not on my board all the time, but I concur that IMO, the P45 can be a better phaser option simply because it is more subtle in all the right ways. IMO, a phaser definitely falls under the category of one knob pedals.

Like anything, it's a matter of taste. The P45 keeps the focus away from extreme phasing per se, which is what I look for - I don't want it overwhelming the core guitar sound. Others may not agree though - may be looking for that EVH thing or "super liquid" sound.

...I always refer back to Rush's No One at the Bridge, and despite whatever Alex used, the P45 apes it perfectly. And that is about the extent of my phaser uses. YMMV.

Old January 26th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 Gauge View Post

I think it's like most other types of pedals - folks want a range that falls outside the borders of what's usable, whether they first realize it or not. Hence the popularity of the P90 et al.

General Guitar Gadgets has a P45 kit, and I got their bare PCB a few years back. I would have rolled a PCB from scratch, but it just made sense to grab theirs and pay them the bucks they deserved for coming up with a decent and compact layout.

...It's not on my board all the time, but I concur that IMO, the P45 can be a better phaser option simply because it is more subtle in all the right ways. IMO, a phaser definitely falls under the category of one knob pedals.

Like anything, it's a matter of taste. The P45 keeps the focus away from extreme phasing per se, which is what I look for - I don't want it overwhelming the core guitar sound. Others may not agree though - may be looking for that EVH thing or "super liquid" sound.

...I always refer back to Rush's No One at the Bridge, and despite whatever Alex used, the P45 apes it perfectly. And that is about the extent of my phaser uses. YMMV.
This is a great post. I wish more pedals were realistic and had more usable tones throughout the control sweeps.