Telecaster Guitar Forum

Telecaster Guitar Forum (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Stomp Box (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/)
-   -   NPD: Moen Shaky Jimi (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/355766-npd-moen-shaky-jimi.html)

Iago October 12th, 2012 08:58 PM

Yep, I bet some people switch it to "chorus" expecting a CE-2 and then bang - "what the hell is this?!". But I reckon that most people buy it for the vibe mode. The vibrato is like a nice extra but I can't see it getting much use.

JaysRiff October 12th, 2012 09:06 PM

I've noticed the cheaper vibes get fizzier with OD etc. compared to the wilson haze vibe i currently have, The shaky jimi ain't bad for a cheapie but side by side with the wilson it was a pretty obvious difference.

hotrodkid October 12th, 2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaysRiff (Post 4509986)
I've noticed the cheaper vibes get fizzier with OD etc. compared to the wilson haze vibe i currently have, The shaky jimi ain't bad for a cheapie but side by side with the wilson it was a pretty obvious difference.

Jay how is the Haze? Almost bought one tonight. I got it down to that or the Fulltone Supa Trem. I see evrybody dumping their Diaz T's, can't be good..

RubyRae October 12th, 2012 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodkid (Post 4510099)
Jay how is the Haze? Almost bought one tonight. ..

I have the original Wilson haze Vibe and like it a lot. One thing with my model is no volume, so when depth is not all the way there is a slight volume drop. I think Kevin took my feedback and incorporated this with the new ones (like jay has). Overall killer vibe pedal! I go crazy with it on band of gypsys message of love. :cool:

postscript: sounds amazing with overdrive too. Congrats Axis!

hotrodkid October 12th, 2012 10:45 PM

Ok thanks, I was worried about volume drop.. the setting I heard on yo'tube I liked was set on chorus with everything turned all the way down. Killer lead tone. I don't do Hendrix/Trower stuff in my band :sad:

Iago October 13th, 2012 12:40 AM

What I like the most about those is the control layout - the big MXR knob for speed far apart from the rest and such...must make it easy to control with your foot. Too bad 150,00$ is far above my limit for pedals.

wildschwein October 13th, 2012 05:48 AM

I've got one of the first ones and it ticks a lot when disengaged but I keep it in a true bypass loop and that helps. Yes they mislabeled the chorus and vibe sides of the pedal in relation to the original Univibe modes.
It's a really good sounding pedal for the price. I found there is a volume drop on the vibe side but I read ages ago you could reduce it somewhat by isolating all the internal leds and sensors with shrink tubing from each other. I did it and it helped a bit IMO. There is a bit of volume boost on the chorus side which does an awesome Leslie sim. Another good mod which I did was to replace the mode switch with a footswitch so I can toggle between vibe and chorus on the fly. Turn on the dirt and delay and play Trower stuff all day on the vibe side and tune in some heavy reverb and play cool keyboardy stuff on the chorus side. I've heard the newer versions don't tick like the old ones.

Axis29 October 13th, 2012 08:06 AM

Hmmm, mine definitely doesn't tick... Especially when disengaged. There is a pulse of the noise floor when it's engaged and you aren't playing anything. But it's really nothing and would never be heard in even a quiet bar setting.

I'm not in front of it, but I don't think mine is labelled for vibe/chorus, I just flipped the switch to the side that sounded cool! LOL

wildschwein October 13th, 2012 08:43 AM

Mine looks like this:
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/500525...mi_Vibrato.jpg
Yeah definitely ticks when engaged; that's the nature of the beast. But I'm pretty sure the newer models had the ticking in bypass fixed up!

Iago October 13th, 2012 03:35 PM

Mine is absolutely silent when off. But there's probably something inherent to the circuitry that raises noise more than the average overdrive pedal IMO - now add that to a sort of usually noisy rig like mine and you get the background "bzz bzz" - it's not really a ticking sound - which is a little louder than what I wanted.

But the effect itself is just lovely. I'm diggin "chorus" mode with both controls at 11:00 but you can get some neat fast vibratone sounds with it too. I use the vibe mode for slow throb mostly, depth is set high and speed about 8 or 9. I'm reporting again on the noise issue after I try it with a different rig.

trancedental October 29th, 2012 05:10 PM

I've got one of those purple ones, I remember making sure that the opto was wrapped up well in electrical tape to make sure no outside light could get inside. After that is sounds fine, more than good enough to sell my Roger Mayer Voodoo vibe which had too many controls & was overpriced IMO.

Another cheap Vibe type pedal is the Danelectro Chicken Salad, crap plastic build but a great sound!!

I prefer cheap pedals, more fun as well!!! Unless there a real imprtant part of your sound the cheap ones are fine, if used on a couple of songs for variety.