NEW WAH time: 535Q -vs- Classic Fassel -vs- Bonamassa sig.??? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

NEW WAH time: 535Q -vs- Classic Fassel -vs- Bonamassa sig.???

So as the title implys, I'm gonna go grab a new Wah either today or tomorrow... I DON'T have the funds to get a Fulltone sadly so I've narrowed it down to the 535-Q the Classic Fassel Model or the Joe Bonamassa Sig model... I can get them for varrying prices, but the vids I've heard have made me lean to these versions (I use a GCB-95 right now) partly because I can get them in the next two days and I'm due to do some recording in the next few days that I need the Wah for...

The other option (and the one I REALLY ws leaning towards before I fond I couldn't get one for like 5-7 days) is the MXR-Custom Audio Electronics Wah like Kenny Wayne Shepherd uses... these things sound AMAZING and at half to 1/3 the price of a Full-tone Clyde, seem to be the best buy in a Wah around... but the time frame is an issue.

So what would you do in this position??? The 535Q intreagues me because I can tweak it 6 ways to sunday, and I'm always playing with the position of the pot shaft in my Wah to tailor the tone this way and that. Also, the boost really could be usefull for solo's espescially with the volume my drummer can get up to when he's "on the gas"

The Bonamassa and Fassel models have a GREAT solid tone and I guess I could always just do what I usualy do and mod them if I found the need... So is the Bonamassa enough different from the Fassel model to justify the price hike or are you just paying for the fancy copper colored pedal ring and his name on the bottom (Im not really a Bonamassa fan - I don't hate him, just not as in awe of him as most seem to be...meh )??? Considering the money I could save, if I'm gonna pay THAT much I might as well just wait and get the CAE...

Then their' the option to just get a Fassel inductor and a new pot for my old GCB-95, but where's the "NGD" fun in that aye PLus it appears as though my Rhythm player wants a bare bones wah to use for a few new songs and he'll give me $40 for my old one if I just swap the pot n it for him (which he'll buy as well) ... yeah, I was confused too, but hey, he can't seem to be bothered to get out and do any gear shopping lately so I guess it's payment for all the errands I've been running for him aye...

Any and all opinions are welcome, but Im pretty tied to those 4 (or 3 if the Bonamassa isn't worth the asking price)... Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Dave

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I replaced my Fulltone with an AMT Japanese Girl.

$120, 1/3 the size, and sounds pretty good. Russian made.
joeybcdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

17 views and no opnions??? I'm surprised and confused... this IS TDPRI right??? hahahahaha

Well, it looks like the "time frame" issue isn't a probem anymore as we're gonna have more time to work with so... I guess I'm kinda onto the CAE and waiting to get it shipped (unless by chance I find it for a good price locally).

Now I see GC has a used Fulltone Clyde (not sure of the "grade" - standard, deluxe etc...) for $179.99 and that kinda complicates things aye... the CAE is $169.99 so if I'm spending that much, is a NEW CAE a better prop. then a used Fulltone??? I know the Clyde is often refered to as the "holy grail" of current Wah's, but I sure did dig the rig-run down vid of Kenny Wayne Shepherd playing his CAE straight into his amp... and I play a lot of Hendrix/SRV/KWS style "Blues Rock".

For refrence, this is the CAE:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-MC40...37-i1446536.gc

and this is the used Fultone: both look to be the "bare bones" models. I'm not familliar with the internals like I am Cry-Baby's so moding might take some time...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...59-i2663509.gc
or this one for $149
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...55-i2648441.gc

...WHAT TO DO

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Chautauqua; September 3rd, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Chautauqua is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybcdt View Post
I replaced my Fulltone with an AMT Japanese Girl.

$120, 1/3 the size, and sounds pretty good. Russian made.
Wow, sorry, I missed your reply... Interesting, I'll look into one of those, thanks mate... I tried a micro-Wah once and I had an issue when giging ith it because I wasn't used to the size and kept "missing it" when I went to put the gas on... Still, if I could get one to work I'd certainly not mind cutting down on my overall pedal-board size aye... AC powerable or sraight battery powered???

There's this other little WAH pedal I was just watching a demo of and now I can't remember what it was (Edit: It's PluTONEum Wah!!! SO COOL) but it's this little spring loaded "treddle pedal" that you actually push DOWN to activate and it self returns to the UP/bass position... i sounds REALLY cool and is certainly (to me) a new "twist" on an old classic... Maybe I'm just unaware of others like it, but I've never seen another Wah like it... Spendy though, and I don't think it'd do what I want in terms of "holding" a cetain tone or making that "watery tremolo" sound as easily...

Cheers

Dave

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi. I'm a user of CAE Wah and it just rocks live! I would really recommend it if you like different tone with the Yellow/ RED fasel. The truebypass also helps a lot to eliminate any tone suckage like the GCB95.

Check out my Youtube demo of the various wah I've used -->

Go out now and purchase the CAE!!! You will not regret it! You can even set the trimpots for the specific sound you like.
valvestate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvestate View Post
Hi. I'm a user of CAE Wah and it just rocks live! I would really recommend it if you like different tone with the Yellow/ RED fasel. The truebypass also helps a lot to eliminate any tone suckage like the GCB95.

Check out my Youtube demo of the various wah I've used -->

Go out now and purchase the CAE!!! You will not regret it! You can even set the trimpots for the specific sound you like.
Thanks man... yeah, the CAE that KWS played straight through sounded AMAZING, and while I think I'd just use the "yellow" setting, I do LOVE a good "knob-twisting-button-pushing session" every once in a while to discover new "color" aye, that's really cool that you can adjust the pots too, is that simillar to the two adjustments on the side of the 535Q??? Thanks for the vid man, I love the way it sounds aye. There are just so many tones hiding in it from a constant tone shaping with the treddle in one pos. to all the controls and adjustments. I hear everything from the Stones to Jimi to Tom Morello in there. I'm guessing with the boost it's gonna run into my Big Muff REAL well...

Best news is, I'm sitting here in our ractice space screwing round and surfing the web on TDPRI and my Bass payer (who also plays guitar) walks in and says "Oh I have one fo those 535Q Wah's and I'm not using it...wanna borrow it???" "UH YEAH!!!!" I replied...so now I have a 535Q to screw around with and record with this week (and the thing's practicaly BRAND NEW...a BIG change fom my scratchy GCB-95 ) and I can order the CAE in and won't have to wait with a "bagged out wah" in the mean time ... I LOVE it when a plan comes together!!! Only issue is, I guess the CAE's are backordered from several of my local GC's and my friend with a Shop has been having trouble getting them in as well ... odd, and I notice lots of other places have them in stock so... may just have to order from like Sweetwater or Musicians Friend. I know what I'm getting into so it's not like I'm buying a guitar sight un-seen... I'm excited to use the 535Q, but I' REALLY excited for the CAE getting here... I'm just ordering it ...NOW!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I just got the MC-404 last week and man, that thing sings! The different fasel options plus the boost make it very versatile and the internal trimpots to adjust each fasel take it to the next level... I havn't tried any boutique wahs, but i've tried both of vox's non-handwired wahs and the original crybaby and this can get both voxy sounds, or the growl from the crybaby but with a nicer sweep, and a smoother sound.
Jalpow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalpow View Post
I just got the MC-404 last week and man, that thing sings! The different fasel options plus the boost make it very versatile and the internal trimpots to adjust each fasel take it to the next level... I havn't tried any boutique wahs, but i've tried both of vox's non-handwired wahs and the original crybaby and this can get both voxy sounds, or the growl from the crybaby but with a nicer sweep, and a smoother sound.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so stoked, by the end of the week I'll have the MC404 in hand I think... CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like the idea of the selectable Inductor voicing that's accesible by the side "kick switch"... it eans that it's accessible while playing, and the LED's to indicate if it's on or what not is nice too...I've struggled with that little aspect since I first started using a Wah pedal

Honestly the 535Q is a pretty cool Wah itself aye... I've been screwing around with it all evening and I've been able to find al kinds of neat tones, and the boost can be pretty cool to use in a set position with the boost giving you some extra sustain and what not for solo''s and tapping... The adjustable voice is really cool and the "Q-range" selector gives you a LOT of sweep and tone options. I'm ecited for my CAE to come, but as a second option I'd say the 535Q is one sweet Wah pedal...

Cheers

Dave

Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've had the 535Q for eight years, the only wah I've used. I choose it because the adjustability seemed like a safe way to get just what I want (which at the time I wasn't sure what that was). But I can't say that I've ever really liked the way it sounds no matter how I adjust it. There is a big volume drop through the sweep that I just can't seem to dial out.

I don't use a lot of wah so I don't want to spend $$ to replace. But if I had to buy again I would not buy this wah.
sax4blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauqua View Post
Thanks man...

Dave
Thanks for checking it out. Here's an additional bonus if you purchase the CAE aside from the previously mentioned Trimpots and awesome bypass:

1. Really easy to activate! This is crucial especially for live playing for that 10 seconds wah-solo wanking...!! the switch is not as soft as the Ibanez WH10 but this is easier to press compared with my GCB-95.

2. I had mine for several months now and still no scratchy noise. Again, this is crucial for live playing and eliminate the need to always use a contact cleaner. My buddy's Vox 845 wah has this annoying scratchy white noise that developed over time. Contact cleaner will help it but it will just return after a few weeks.

3. It just looks cool to look at that, especially the weird alien like logo on the pedal <--- This is the most important thing!!

I also heard the 535Q live and I also cannot say bad things about it as well. I also tried it for like 30 minutes in a guitar store... also great but I'm suspicious with the tone suckage.

Old September 4th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalpow View Post
This guy speaks the truth.

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a big wah guy and wasn't using one until I discovered the Bonamassa sig. Totally perfect. To me most wahs haven't had a big enough sweep for me to consider using it but the JB wah just has that "thing" about it where it just has a great throaty sweep and is very musical - much unlike the other wahs I've used or tried in the past.
telerocker1988 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by telerocker1988 View Post
I'm not a big wah guy and wasn't using one until I discovered the Bonamassa sig. Totally perfect. To me most wahs haven't had a big enough sweep for me to consider using it but the JB wah just has that "thing" about it where it just has a great throaty sweep and is very musical - much unlike the other wahs I've used or tried in the past.

I'm not a WAH guy (as you can hear) but there is a throatiness to the Joe Bonamassa that I love...here is a short demo I did when I got it.

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by telefunken View Post

I'm not a WAH guy (as you can hear) but there is a throatiness to the Joe Bonamassa that I love...here is a short demo I did when I got it.
Love your demo's. Keepem coming especially after your a bit lubricated. Jk. That Dr. Z is so f'ng sweet also. Thanks for your contributions
cellrebral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wow, JB wah sounds fantastic! Anyone got the schematics?
p8t8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Not wanting to confuse you more but I have tried the range of Dunlop Wahs and I didn't like any of them as much as I liked the Fulltone Clyde.
dalandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 535Q, one of the older 18V models. I love that thing. Very '60's sounding. I also have an original Budda Wah and a George Dennis that I like a lot. But I've been gigging with the Dunlop.

I don't know much about the others you mentioned.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.”
― Woody Guthrie
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure you play the bonamassa with your guitar and rig, its set up to be a tone sucker. Ole Joe likes the high end loss that a non true bypass gives. I think they sound great but they are out of my price range. I actually have a used GCB - 95 on the way, excited!

Old September 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure to check out www.wilsoneffects.com
Kevin makes great wahs that won't break the bank.
vjf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

+1 on Wilson wah.