Reverb pedals vs. amp spring reverb - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Reverb pedals vs. amp spring reverb

I see that digital reverb pedals are a hot topic on this forum. I'm curious about the general consensus. Are reverb pedals preferable over the amplifiers spring reverb? If so, why? Does anyone prefer the amps' reverb rather than a reverb pedal? Once again, if so, why?

jonkay1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think you can't generalize that much - there are a lot of different pedals (some mock spring reverb, some try to give a clean, natural reverb) as well as in built in spring-reverbs in an amp. I think the surf guys favour spring reverbs like in a twin reverb or the fender tube reverb unit - which does not at all sound like a natural room ambience. there is a boss pedal copying that kind of effect.
others like more of a natural ambience - I do which I can achieve from a digital pedal as well as the spring reverb in my sessionette or vibrolux which are set up for that kind of reverb.

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

There are many good reverb pedals on the market nowadays : Strymon blue Sky, TC Hall of Fame, T-Rex Roommate, Neunaber WET, Wampler faux spring, Plush Verbrator, etc...
Most of them are digital but they no more sound cold and sterile like old digital racks used to sound. They offer way more control over the settings than a typical spring reverb tank, and their possibilities are almost limitless.
nic'o'caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

If given a choice, why not just use the real thing? It works, works great, and delivers a certain something that digital models try to emulate, but just don't seem to deliver.

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I agree with you if one's after just a great spring reverb but you've no choice if you want long dark reverb with a hint of modulation and shimmer on top !
nic'o'caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Most of my amps have reverb, but I have a TC G-Major effects unit that I use with my Rivera amp (that has a spring reverb tank). There are a lot of ways to use reverb and lots of different textures available from pedals and rack gear. It just depends on what kind of sound you're going for. Caverns, surf, big church, small reflective rooms...

Simple is good, too.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.”
― Woody Guthrie
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There is nothing like true spring reverb, just like there is nothing like true tape echo. I use a Hermida Reverb on my non reverb Princeton and it certianly sounds darn good for $99 bucks. Most people use them for the sake of saving money and not being able to afford a Fender Reverb Unit. Same with the tape echo's, who has a grand to buy a Fulltone tape echo? Not me. There are some real good reverb pedals for under 200$. There are also some smaller true spring reverb units. Easier to take to gigs too.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There are plenty of amps with spring reverb where the reverb doesn't sound that great, usually those amps have an IC solid state reverb circuit, but I have had amps with tube reverb circuits that also didn't sound great, vintage Traynor, Vox etc..

The tube driven Fender reverb (and Ampeg) are the benchmarks IMO, but some of the newer reverb pedals sound really good.
I had one of the early Holy Grail reverb pedals that sounded good, the Hermida reverb sounds very good IMO and it works with distortion / gain, something that a "real" spring reverb usually does not do well.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireLine View Post
If given a choice, why not just use the real thing? It works, works great, and delivers a certain something that digital models try to emulate, but just don't seem to deliver.
Use "the real thing?" You mean a large, cavernous room, right?

Or did you mean that phony spring reverb?
ac15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac15

I remember bringing a centerfold to a neighborhood football game when I was About 12. All the guys went gaga. Except- The oldest guy there was probably 14 and he goes "Ain't nothin like the real thing, man" just to bust my bubble. I'm sure he hadn't tried the real thing yet.

Spring reverb is a couple of springs in a metal tank, and that's what it sounds like. I like it, but also like other types of reverb, emt plates, chambers, digital, etc. Bathrooms can be great. They are all real, just different.

Great point AC15!

Old May 21st, 2012, 09:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have true spring reverb on my amp and a Yamaha MagicStomp with a ton of reverbs.

I use the amp's reverb if I'm just messing around a want a general spring reverb, but if I'm spending a lot of time on something, or what something special from the reverb then I'll use the Yamaha MS. It is digital, but the software is the same as what's in Yamaha's rack mount and studio gear.

Once you can tweak your reverb using a whole host of parameters, then it becomes a lot more than something to just simulate a large cavernous room IMHO.

Old May 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac15 View Post

Spring reverb is what it is...natural ambience is what IT is... currently I don't use anything other than natural ambient reverb live, (but so use a touch of echo).

I'm sure you knew this, but unless you are playing direct or in some anechoic chamber, every gig has a natural ambience, some are great and some are awful...spring, digital, or whatever reverb just adds to what is already there, and more times than we might be aware of the results are not very pleasant (to my ear, anyway)... People in the audience may not notice too little, but they sure will notice too much reverb in the house mix, and truthfully, most of us have no idea what we sound like 25 ft (or where ever the audience starts)..

Like everything else - just my opinion based on my observations from doing this since 1971, and it may not be everyone's else's observations or experiences

Old May 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

For playing live, I use the reverb in my Twin. If I gig the Peavey C30, I use a Boss FRV-1 because it gives a reasonably realistic Fender reverb sound, and that's what I'm usually after.

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Woke the Mrs up a few weeks ago while I was jamming late one night in my music room. She told me the next day she liked that "surf" song I was playing. All I'm using is a Boss FRV-1 fed into a Tech 21 R.V.B./Boost. She mentioned nothing about me needing a spring tank!
Gold Rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'd opt for an amp with an FX Loop before a built-in spring reverb. Springs are good when you want them. I like ambience from reverb most of the time, and you can't beat a Lexicon for that. With so many reverbs available, I can't see being married to just one built-in reverb, let alone having a single knob to control it. Not to mention, other FX may be used in the same loop.
FenderLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

There is no substitute for tube driven spring reverb. Unless your amp doesn't have it. Then your choice is no reverb, a reverb pedal or outboard reverb tank. In a gig situation, I use a good pedal all the time when I play my non-reverb amps. No one can tell the difference.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hard to generalize. The Hermida Reverb works so well for me. I use it even when playing my only reverb amp, an Allen Encore. But if I still had the old super reverb, that reverb would be on, pedal off.

It varies amp to amp, pedal to pedal. I'll be getting another outboard reverb soon, as that sound is rather different from either pedal or in amp reverb.
MD
mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Nothing like two DRRI's in stereo and reverb from both amps on. I have both.
RockerDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

The correct answer should be amp reverb, but they don't make amps like they used to, so unfortunately(or maybe fortunately), my answer is pedal.

Currently using an EHX Cathedral, and it is ridiculous. Room, hall, spring, plate, reverse, etc. It has flange, delay, and the ability to go 100% wet.

I wish I could rely on my amp, but this thing just does too much, and I'm a man who loves his reverb
mal paso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

MSLP Spring'd Steen is a pedal that drives a real tank of your choice(long or short spring). Real spring reverb that plugs into non-reverb amps and for a couple hundred bucks total you've got real spring reverb. Google MSLP pedals and you'll find his info.
Lowbassnotes is offline   Reply With Quote