Eventide Space or .. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 21st, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Eventide Space or ..

I'm thinking about selling one or two of my guitars to upgrade my reverb. The t-rex tonebug reverb I'm using now is ok and has given me an appreciation for modern style reverb types but it's hissy and not so versatile.

I've done some research and the Eventide Space seems to be just what I'm looking for.

Is there any other reverb pedal I should consider?

Presets is a must.

kupasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The space has 100 presets...i can't think of anything close to that...i treasure my space...may not be for everybody but i sure have the bases covered when it comes to reverb.
flinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I use a Stymon Bluesky and a Neunaber Stereo WET. It doesn't have the presets or the amount of control provided but the Space but the sounds are superior in my opinion. You also have analog dry through (if you care about that sort of thing).

Think about what you want out of your reverb, are you going to be using several sounds in your music and will you need to switch between these sounds quickly? The Space is probably overkill for most people and they are sacrificing quality of sound for versatility they don't need.
Twangasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangasaurus View Post
I use a Stymon Bluesky and a Neunaber Stereo WET. It doesn't have the presets or the amount of control provided but the Space but the sounds are superior in my opinion. You also have analog dry through (if you care about that sort of thing).
I'm also impressed by this unit. It's a strong contender.

Quote:
Think about what you want out of your reverb, are you going to be using several sounds in your music and will you need to switch between these sounds quickly? The Space is probably overkill for most people and they are sacrificing quality of sound for versatility they don't need.
It's a question of pedalboard real-estate mostly. As an old shoegazer the mangled reverb setting is a way to eliminate fuzz after reverb. Spring + tremolo is another example.

Living in the middle of snowy-hell-nowhere I have few chances to actually a/b these stompboxes, especially the bluesky. So your impressions and thoughts are important to me.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

the Neunaber WET is an excellent sounding reverb, nice and compact too!

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupasa View Post
I'm also impressed by this unit. It's a strong contender.

It's a question of pedalboard real-estate mostly. As an old shoegazer the mangled reverb setting is a way to eliminate fuzz after reverb. Spring + tremolo is another example.

Living in the middle of snowy-hell-nowhere I have few chances to actually a/b these stompboxes, especially the bluesky. So your impressions and thoughts are important to me.
Well if it's shoegaze then I change my opinion and so go for the Space! To be honest if your running the amount of effects that most shoegazers are then signal degradation is the least of your worries, this applies ten fold if your running heavy modulation and dirt. Cool thing about the Space is that you also get two reverbs in one (DualVerb) and a delay (ModEchoVerb) not to mention the amazingness of the Blackhole algorithm (which is get you sort of close to the Neunaber WET I believe). The only thing I wish it had was the ability to lower the bit rate of the reverb to get all those old school 16 bit rack reverb sounds. Makes the verb disperse really nicely and gives it lovely grit, one of my favorite examples of this is in Tears Run Rings stuff:

Twangasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Well if it's shoegaze then I change my opinion and so go for the Space! To be honest if your running the amount of effects that most shoegazers are then signal degradation is the least of your worries, this applies ten fold if your running heavy modulation and dirt. Cool thing about the Space is that you also get two reverbs in one (DualVerb) and a delay (ModEchoVerb) not to mention the amazingness of the Blackhole algorithm (which is get you sort of close to the Neunaber WET I believe). The only thing I wish it had was the ability to lower the bit rate of the reverb to get all those old school 16 bit rack reverb sounds. Makes the verb disperse really nicely and gives it lovely grit, one of my favorite examples of this is in Tears Run Rings stuff:

I'll go for the Space. I don't have that many effects these days. I sort of evolved(devolved?) from my shoegazing days into a Bill Frisell soundscape type of person, without the Bill Frisell type of talent I might add.

I hope I'll be able to raise enough cash to buy the Space and E-H Freeze + JamMan Solo.

Thank you all for great answers and great music.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I use an Electro-Harmonix Cathedral Stereo Reverb. It has presets and sounds really good to my ears. It's also not nearly as expensive as the Eventide. I think it's worth looking into.
Dusk
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'd love to get Space!
I had the mono neunaber wet but it wasn't really doing it for me.
The shorter decay times sounded overly digital and the long decays sounded like they were added over the top of my core sound instead of blending with it (like a wash in the background) unless you set it 100% wet but thus resulted in a gigantic volume drop.it defo needed a tone control too which I believe has been added to the new stereo version.
redriding is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I use an Electro-Harmonix Cathedral Stereo Reverb. It has presets and sounds really good to my ears. It's also not nearly as expensive as the Eventide. I think it's worth looking into.
+1
bossking7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Well, while I'm here..

+1 for the Cathedral!
mal paso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

stereo wet, i played with one of my buddie's SPACE, it was cool, but way to much reverb to really use it. I just ordered my stereo wet, and might get a blue sky if i need more. the wet should be getting a shimmer option soon via software update, as well.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

+1 for the Cathedral
misc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Actually, let me clarify what I said about the Cathedral having presets. It actually doesn't have factory presets, but it allows you to save your settings with 8 different types of reverb, so you can make your own and save them in the Cathedral's databank and switch to them easily. It's also easy to change your presets or not use them at all and just use the knobs to control your sound at that given moment. For the quality of sound, and the amount of features and reverbs it offers, I think the Cathedral is the best deal around for people who want more than just a basic spring reverb emulator. It's my personal opinion that, while they are of great quality, there are several other options that are either over-bloated, or ridiculously expensive for what they do, or both.
Dusk
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

+1 for Green Lantern
mal paso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ok green lantern and mal paso. You've convinced me. I'll go for the cathedral. It'll let me keep my strat. Thank you all again.