first comp... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

first comp...

I'm looking for a first compressor and found the normal dyna comp on the forum for 43... I've done research on the dyna comp and seen the PGS vid on it now..... I heard it was used by EVH is this true?

one: does it color your tone

two: to what degree does it color your tone

three: is the colored tone IF any does the coloring sound good

thanks

micaiah

micaiah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've got a DynaComp, just the plain current production block logo one... I don't know which players have used it, I am however under the impression that for quite some time in the early days of pedals the old script logo DynaComps were the standard for stomp box compression.... I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the best ear for tone color, but I don't really hear any color from the MXR, the only thing I didn't like about it at first was how it squished the attack, quickly realized for my purposes the pedal sounds great with the compression set low and the output set higher, I actually like to set the output at 3 o'clock and the compression at 9 so they point at eachother... it does help with sustain for leads and helps quite a lot with some EVH techniques particularly 2 hand tapping.... but I suppose any compressor does those things.... anyhow, for the price I think it's great.
Camplain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm looking at the block logo as well and perhaps some one else can chime in that has that ear for tone or coloring but yeah I'm 22 and so I dont really have an ear for tone nor how to get the tone in my head into my pedals

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 9th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You will probably get better results for Dynacomp discussion in the Stomp Box sub-forum.
Dusk
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaiah View Post
I'm looking at the block logo as well and perhaps some one else can chime in that has that ear for tone or coloring but yeah I'm 22 and so I dont really have an ear for tone nor how to get the tone in my head into my pedals
You might be disappointed with a compressor in that case. I mean - you might like (or not) the coloration, but this is not what compression is about. If I were you, I'd just go to any guitar store, hook up any compressor they have and see if you like what it does. If you don't get it at the moment - there is nothing wrong about it. Save your money for later.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

For the price that ain't bad -what's the worse that can happen if you buy it? You might not like it than just sell it. And only you can determine whether you like the sound or not at the end of the day. I have rarely seen any consensus about whether a pedal colours your tone or not and to what extent ( frankly IMHO anything between the guitar and the speaker colours your tone). I will admit I don't own the dynacomp so couldn't give you my impression. I had a BBE and a visual sound -both we're different. I actually liked my home built OS comp better (except a little noisier than when I first built it).

Good luck with your quest for your own tone.
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Boss LM-2 limiter.
Awesome old Boss pedal that can be picked up really cheap.Can go subtle or really squishy but is always transparent eq wise and super quiet.Controls for level,tone,release and threshold.
i couldn't live with out mine.
redriding is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

So is the LM-2 a comp and a nose gate in one? If so thats awesome ^_^