Electro Harmonix Freeze grounding/ power issues - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Electro Harmonix Freeze grounding/ power issues

my freeze seems to introduce a loud hum/ feedback type tone into my chain when its powered by my 1 spot in a daisy chain.

Wondering if I need one of those diago power isolators or a ground switcher adapter? any help would be appreciated!

goldspanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've had slightly similar issues with mine. You should ideally use the power supply that came stock with the pedal. Some of the EH pedals actually require 9.5v. Mine wouldn't work properly running off of my Furman powered pedalboard 9v cords, it needed it's own separate wall wart.
JulianPrimeaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

+1. Any of those EH pedals like the Hum Debugger, The Freeze, Ravish, Pog, ect. You need to use the supplied power supply. There is no aftermarket powersupply that will work properly.
vjf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 17th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

any idea if the diago isolator would do the same job as a seperate supply?

Really dont want to have to put a multi plug or something like that on my board

Old January 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Never say never, but my Furman has a built-in power conditioner and it didn't work. I think the issue is that it needs and unusual amount of power more so than it not getting along with your pedals. I could very well be wrong though. My Pog2 is the same way as my Freeze, both worked best once I used the supplied adapter.

Old January 17th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I was running into the same issues, had to power it seperately. My daisy chain finally died and I convinced myself to spring for a pedal power 2, and so far I've been able to power the freeze from that with no issues. I'm surprised the furman isn't cutting it, is it not the same concept as the voodoo labs?

Old January 17th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Oh and if you look at the adapter that was sent w it (at least mine) its just the standard 9v eh one, even says "standard replacement for boss and ibanez power supplies" on it. No weird ma ratings. So I think its really just something funky with the pedal.

Old January 17th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxterhuxtable View Post
Oh and if you look at the adapter that was sent w it (at least mine) its just the standard 9v eh one, even says "standard replacement for boss and ibanez power supplies" on it. No weird ma ratings. So I think its really just something funky with the pedal.
Here is what happens. If the place your ordered it from also has a store like say, 8th Street Music. What tends to occur is that a power supply gets pulled from an unopened box to try a pedal in the store, it eventually goes missing so the sales associate digs a floating power supply out of the drawer of misfit power supplies to throw into the box so they can sell it for new with a power supply. Unfortunately it will most likely be the worng one. Seen it happen with the Hum Debugger. It needs the power supply it comes with, no ifs ands or buts.
vjf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Oddly, I have never had an issue with my Micro POG off of a 1Spot chain, but I could see how it could.
cbtd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Also, I know that the Pog2 says 9.5v on the pedal, but the manual says 9v. I may have that reversed, but point being they both say something different.

Old January 17th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf1968

Here is what happens. If the place your ordered it from also has a store like say, 8th Street Music. What tends to occur is that a power supply gets pulled from an unopened box to try a pedal in the store, it eventually goes missing so the sales associate digs a floating power supply out of the drawer of misfit power supplies to throw into the box so they can sell it for new with a power supply. Unfortunately it will most likely be the worng one. Seen it happen with the Hum Debugger. It needs the power supply it comes with, no ifs ands or buts.
Hmmmm. Mine came from gc.com, from their distribution center. Kansas city if I'm not mistaken. So unless it was sold from there once, returned with the wrong supply, and then sold to me its the adapter that came from the factory. I do know exactly what you're talking about though, I worked at gc twice each time for about a year and saw my fair share of such shenanigans. I always tried to keep things straight.

I will have to double check my rig, just used it on a gig Saturday and didn't hear any difference from when it had its own supply. But maybe I didn't listen close enough. Regardless, the freeze pedal is one of my favorite gear purchases ever, and I will gladly give it its own adapter if it keeps it on my board.

Old January 18th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

it works fine with its own isolated supply (the one it came with) and I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with a daisy chained 1 spot + an isolator, assuming the isolator does what it's supposed to.
Did some research, and although most 9v pedals say exactly that on the pedal, their supplies usually deliver more like 9.6v. This is the case with both the 1spot & the supply that came with the freeze.

I'll report back and tell you guys if the diago isolator works.

Cheers

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have an EHX Freeze that whines when powered via my 1-Spot. It's a drag because I don't want to have to use a PP2, since it adds weight and takes up space. And I don't want to have to power it off it's own power supply.

I emailed EHX support about this, and they said to send the pedal back for servicing. But I asked specifically if this whine issue could be fixed so that I could use Freeze pedal with daisy-chained power, and so far I have not heard back. I don't want want to send it in, pay the shipping+handling, and have it come back with a "nothing is wrong with the pedal" message. I suspect that the noise is because it is a digital pedal with it's own internal powering system. The odd thing is that I have another EHX digital pedal (Micro Pog) that has no issues running from a 1Spot in tandem with my other pedals.

Any luck with using the Diago isolator?
aviavi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

been a while since I posted this, and no, unfortunately no luck with it.
Spent 20 on the damn thing!
If I remember correctly, it reduced the hum a bit, but definitely didn't cure it.

I'm about to get rid of my freeze, could do with having less pedals, and I find that it just over complicates things. Instead I could just be a bit more creative with what I have

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The condition that you speak of is called EHXitis. Their quality control is ATTROCIOUS. It is the reason I do not use many of their products.
k tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by k tone View Post
The condition that you speak of is called EHXitis. Their quality control is ATTROCIOUS. It is the reason I do not use many of their products.
I hate to agree, because EHX has some awesome stuff... in design, anyway... random terrible execution. Notorious for noise/power issues (like hum and buzz). I want to buy another Wiggler so bad, but I just know the damn thing's going to be noisy.

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

At least with their tube pedals, a bit of noise like that is all part of the charm
The freeze actually produces a tone, rather than a hum! so it makes it alot more annoying!

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Suspended
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I hate to agree, because EHX has some awesome stuff... in design, anyway... random terrible execution. Notorious for noise/power issues (like hum and buzz). I want to buy another Wiggler so bad, but I just know the damn thing's going to be noisy.
+1 on EHX having ****e quality control.
+1 on wanting the Wiggler again and knowing that it will be too noisy again!

artdecade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Reason #2 that I stay away from E.Harmonix products!
Charlie Christian Squier '51 -> H.A. Tiki Drive -> MHP-BD2 Boost/OD -> Rogue Vintage Comp -> Behringer RV600 -> Rogue Analog Delay -> Dano Tuna Melt Tremolo -> TC Electronic Flashback Delay-> Fender Princeton 650
Thighbanez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

EHX told me they could fix the whine in my Freeze pedal, so I sent it to them, and just received it back. It still makes the exact same f*#!ing whine. Really pisses me off, because I missed my window to take it back to the store where I bought it.

I am or was a kind of EHX endorser, having made a couple of nutty demo videos for them a few years back, so this especially pisses me off.
aviavi is offline   Reply With Quote